General > Resources

Leptospirosis

<< < (3/4) > >>

kmck:
Since I joined the club we've had 7 from our club( those individuals would have spent a huge amount of time at the sluice). That's out of around 140 river trips with up to 50 people on them average of 24 so so it's a 1/480 chance kind of ish. Do I think it's likely, no. Do I follow the precautions anyway, yes. Same as looking both ways when crossing a road or washing your hands after going to the toilet.
To recap:
Cover cuts and grazes with either a waterproof bandage or spray on bandage.
Wash hands with hand wash before eating, though ingestion is very very very rare method of transmission
Shower after the river
Wash and dry out your paddling gear

If and it is a big if you come down with flu like symptoms within 21 days of paddling tell your doctor to suspect leptosporsis or weil's. They may do a blood test but due to the rarity they won't think to do it unless you tell them. This is a rare condition, so much so it was used on House MD.

Jer:
Anecdotal evidence aside, there's only a handful of reported cases in Ireland a year and that's out of a significantly larger pool of people than just kayakers.

--- Quote from: Matt on October 04, 2011, 16:54:37 ---how rare?

--- End quote ---

SUPER DUPER ULTRA RARE!

Matt:

--- Quote from: Jer on October 04, 2011, 20:34:29 ---SUPER DUPER ULTRA RARE!

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I'm not following... so you say it's rare? Like it doesn't happen all that often? Is that what you're saying?

Seriously though, folks, if we all stop kissing rats (no matter how attractive they might be), we should all be fine. I think what I've gathered from reading this post is that's it's pretty rare. But like the man from the Durex ad says... it's better to be safe than sorry.

Nuala:
I think it's one of those things that are literally one in a million. It's just that if it's caught earlier it's no worse than a flu, but if it's missed it can be nasty.

Ley-Ley:
It doesn't exist, there, now no one is gonna be worried.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version