Author Topic: Dodder clean up  (Read 2367 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
Dodder clean up
« on: April 10, 2012, 10:18:25 »
Its time again to don the waders and haul out a year's worth of human laziness, thoughtlessness and down-right vandalism from our beloved River Dodder.

The river took a beating from last year's 100 mm thunderstorm - who knows what surprises lurk in its depths from that giant flush. It will be an adventure!

Let me know if you are keen to take the plunge. This year we hope to work in concert with a local artist who will take on the challenge of turning trash into treasure through sculpture.

Important details:

Date: April 28th
Starting time: from 10 am on
Meet-up point: Dropping Well Inn car park, Milltown Road, or if arriving later - wander towards Donnybrook until you find us
Bring:
- wellingtons or sturdy, water proof boots
- rain gear, sun gear, (snow gear?)
- waders - if you have them

Questions: drop me a line.  dru.marsh@ucd.ie 

Once again Dru from my research group is doing a river clean up. I know it's very close to exam time but it would be worthwhile if you've free time to take a break and join in.

Offline Bill C

• This can only go well
Re: Dodder clean up
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:05:48 »
COMMENCE RIVER CLEAN-UP!

Offline M1XR

• Committee 11/12
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 16:04:46 »
Yeaaaaaah (with enthusiasm )

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 16:53:20 »
The wild weather brings a mixed blessing: lots of trash washed down the river to Milltown; but it may also restrict the clean-up area on Saturday. We will go ahead with the clean-up regardless of the weather - but the wilder it is, the more restricted we will be in accessing the river.

Given the like crappy weather - dress accordingly! I will bring litter grabbers along and some gloves, but if you have your own, please bring them along as An Taisce ran out of it supplies by the time we were registered. Also bring wellingtons and waders if you have them.

I plan to arrive at the Dropping Well car park on corner of Milltown and Lower Chruchtown Roads.

Getting there:

Luas: Green line - get off at Milltown - go down the hill and turn right - Dropping Well 200 m up Milltown Road

Bus: No. 61 from the city - stops right out fron of the Dropping Well

Car: See attached map or link above

Given the weather, I expect we will spend no more than 3 hours wandering along the river - so if you come after 10 am - you should find us downstream working towards Clonskeagh bridge.

My contact number is 0870 6333 77 if you have any questions, otherwise will check this email up until the morning of the clean-up.

If you think I have missed something - please drop me a line! Feel free to forward this email to anyone you know who has expressed an interest in joining us.

Many thanks again,

Dru

This is more info from dru, if anybody is not going off to do some seriuos hardcore stuff your help with this would be appreciated. I doubht I will be able to attend myself as I will be down country.