Author Topic: So, imagine I've been paddling for a bit and I want to buy some stuff.  (Read 9953 times)

Offline Douchier

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 21:26:05 by Douchier »

Offline HelenaC

• PRO 13/14
please stop severely undermining my attempts to study.......

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
Irishfreestyle is back online for boats and gear second hand.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
also asking people who might know helps big time - even just for things to look out for! eg what to look out for when buying a boat, or not much of a point buying a bouyancy aid that doesn't have a the ability to have a quick release

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
Also, be wary of buying second hand gear. Ask why they are selling it.

If they are quitting the sport, or have just gotten free gear from sponsors etc, that's fine. If they bought new kit for themselves, there was probably a reason for it.

Same to a certain extent for boats

Offline Douchier

Yeah, I think that helmets and BAs are the ones to really take a close look at when going second hand. A helmet can be totalled without showing it and a BA might not float as well as it should.
Boats cost a lot of money so I would definitely ask for advice on that one, maybe even bring someone with you to prod it a bit.

Offline kmck

• "99"
Look carefully at areas that show wear.

Drypants: Look at the knees, ass and seals

Cags: Elbows, wrist and neck seals, under the arms. Check inside to see if it is coming apart

Helmets: Do not buy second hand, there a good quality cheap helmets but this is something that should only ever have one owner.

B/Aid: As buoyancy ages they loose buoyancy. If it is older than three years it can have lost half it's buoyancy. Test it. In most cases this won't matter but it something to keep in mind that B/aids have a life span.

Blades: Lenght, feather and size of blade face. Look for obvious scratches or cracks or any sign of glueing. Do not buy the biggest blade face you can. Try out other people blades first if you feel pain or strains there is a good chance that the blade face is just too big for you.

Boats: Only used on grade 3 and surfing is the boating equvialent of elderly lady owner didn't drive much. Look for wear on the hull, kettling (Creek boats especially kettle(bending in) with age around the seat area), signs of repair to the out fitting, plastic welds and of course try it out if you can.

Order to buy stuff: Cag, booties/footwear, long johns wetsuit(the dry pant/cag versus cag/wetsuit combo is for another day, I still have my wetsuit from when I started, I do not have my first pair of drypants), Neoprene deck, B/aid and finally a helmet. Now start looking for blades and finaly boat. The reason for this order is what will amke paddling more comfortable for you and what will benefit you more also if you decide to quit you haven't spent money on things you won't use at another water sport.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 21:45:02 by Douchier »

Offline Garbhan

• omg guys, the forum time is BST instead of GMT :O
  • mmmmm.... timeee....

Decks:
NRS - I might buy a slightly cheaper one than this to start with, but I reckon it's decent value

Slightly better deal That myself and I believe Rosin got
http://www.i-canoe.com/PEAK+CLEARANCE+KIT/PEAK+2011+CREEK+DECK.html

Order to buy stuff: Cag, booties/footwear, long johns wetsuit(the dry pant/cag versus cag/wetsuit combo is for another day, I still have my wetsuit from when I started, I do not have my first pair of drypants), Neoprene deck, B/aid and finally a helmet.
I'd be interested in some info on this as I think a wetsuit is the next bit of gear I will buy.

P.S Kerian, your wetsuit from when you started is in the boathouse...

Offline Douchier

Order to buy stuff: Cag, booties/footwear, long johns wetsuit(the dry pant/cag versus cag/wetsuit combo is for another day, I still have my wetsuit from when I started, I do not have my first pair of drypants), Neoprene deck, B/aid and finally a helmet. Now start looking for blades and finaly boat
I wouldn't agree with that at all. It's all based on the assumption that there's not much progression and on minimising short-term discomfort at the cost of performance and safety (which in the end will lead to much more discomfort).

It all depends on what your aims are and how much resources you planning on committing to the sport.

A wetsuit is something that you'll have for a while and then stop wearing the moment it becomes an option. They don't keep you warm enough and they hinder performance. I certainly wouldn't invest in one ahead of something else at this time of year.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:38:17 by Douchier »

Offline kmck

• "99"
Really I have two wetsuits, one with arse and one without. I don't remember lending them to anyone, they are yak wetsuit blue on the inside with black on the outside.

A long john wetsuit does no hinder motion, a steamer on the other hand  does restrict motion. If I know I'm going to spend a long time in the water I go for the wetsuit. If I am just river running I go for the drypants. I stopped wearing shorts after running through nettles to rescue someone.

The order is based on cost and compromise.  In my case I bought a helmet soon after my cag, since I've a massive head, club helmets just weren't comfortable.

Offline Garbhan

• omg guys, the forum time is BST instead of GMT :O
  • mmmmm.... timeee....
Well considering I can get along in a (way too small for me) club wetsuit, I think ill be okay in one that fits me.  :D

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
Personally I think the first piece of kit you should buy is a camera - then everyone can see how cool you look when you're out running the shiz-nit.

Offline kmck

• "99"
Matt, we where on a training day with Greg Byrne in one group and Cormac Lynch leading the other. Lunch comes round and Cormac pulls out the shelter and we turn to greg and ask were's his. His response," I can carry the camera or a shelter which do you want" of course camera won!

Offline DervM

www.i-canoe.com/PEAK+CLEARANCE+KIT.htm

Peak spraydecks on discount. They're not bad. My one lasted a fair while.

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
Having spent far to much time looking at this site for it to be justifyable, I just noticed this:
http://www.i-canoe.com/Package+Deals/Student+Kayaking+Starter+Pack.html