Author Topic: Questions about bits of gear in RSR  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Douchier

Questions about bits of gear in RSR
« on: May 01, 2012, 00:30:16 »
So, sorry about the clumsy editing - I haven't quite got used to it yet.

There were a few queries, so I moved them to their own topic in case anyone wanted to thrash them out a bit. These were:

"4.03     ISO Approved buoyancy with integrated harness"
Is the integrated harness the quick release belt?

How hard sole footware does this have to be? River shoes? Or is a pair of booties sufficient?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 17:38:02 by Douchier »

Offline kmck

• "99"
Questions about bits of gear
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:02:22 »
Some bouancys have a chest harness but no quick release belt attached, palm symbiont is one. I do know that a method of towing is the usual term of reference for this and I would be interested in doing this if my doing it did not displace a fresher or second year.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 17:16:59 by Douchier »

Offline Douchier

Re: Questions about bits of gear
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 17:19:42 »
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: calling it a "quick release" is a bit of a misnomer. It's a description of one of the modes in which the harness operates but doesn't refer to what ut actually is or what it's there for. I could be wrong, but I think I've only heard it called that by a few people in this club, it's usually just called a "chest harness" our something else with harness our rescue in the name.

The palm symbiant doesn't come with a chest-harness, but you can buy one separately and add it later ( which does indeed have a quick-release mechanism), usually you can't do this. I think they did it this way to allow for a cheaper BA that could be "rescue" capable if you changed your mind

About the foot-wear? Good question. I reckon that foot-wear in general is a bit of a personal-preference issue. I'll check, but I reckon that one of that he'll say to wear booties, so long as you're comfortable running up and down the bank in them. I'm sure that part of the day will be talking about appropriate gear.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 17:36:22 by Douchier »

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
Re: Questions about bits of gear in RSR
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 18:41:59 »
Funnily enough, I have a Palm Symbiant. I think I'll get the chest harness then

Offline Douchier

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 18:57:36 »
Even more funnily, I have one sitting at the back of my wardrobe. Yours for a tener.

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 19:59:44 »
Awesome, I'll take it! Thanks Niall!