Author Topic: Buying my first boat! (Please Help)  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Garbhan

• omg guys, the forum time is BST instead of GMT :O
  • mmmmm.... timeee....
Buying my first boat! (Please Help)
« on: August 07, 2012, 23:18:19 »

Offline Douchier

Re: Buying my first boat! (Please Help)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 23:46:18 »

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 23:52:07 »
That boat looks like it's been well used.... I'd try talk him down to 200 or 250 - see how low he's willing to go. That way you haven't put too much money into it if it does get damaged again or doesn't last all that long.

Offline Garbhan

• mmmmm.... timeee....
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 00:25:43 »
Thanks. This photo https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302309_420516394650579_193011296_n.jpg is actually of the small dent in the side which can be seen in the photo after it, or does this mean its still oil-caning?

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:37:27 »
I would be very suspicious, it looks like it may have come off the roof at speed.
I would be concerned about the hull, the dent on the side, the repair (which shouldnt be needed after just installing ratchets), the nose and the general scratches.
Its of course your choice but 300 seems very steep, I would be concerned it wouldnt last. Personally I would wait till something else came along but its your choice.
Best of luck.  :)

Offline Garbhan

• mmmmm.... timeee....
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 19:05:36 »
I would be very suspicious, it looks like it may have come off the roof at speed.
I would be concerned about the hull, the dent on the side, the repair (which shouldnt be needed after just installing ratchets), the nose and the general scratches.
Its of course your choice but 300 seems very steep, I would be concerned it wouldnt last. Personally I would wait till something else came along but its your choice.
Best of luck.  :)
Thanks for the advice, the problem is that its an odd sized boat which isn't that common. Just wondering how much do you think it is worth as I have no real idea...

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 17:14:32 »
There is always another boat. Just because this is in your size, don't think you won't get another chance at a boat. The kettling looks like the start of a problem. I wouldn't go higher than 250, the flaws such as the ratchet are a worry. I don't know how you'd put a hole that big putting in a ratchet also it would be a concern if you lean hard back fast will it pull out? So 250 would be my top offer.

Offline Douchier

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 23:05:53 »

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:18:40 »
For what my 2 cent is worth.

The scratches - I would bet a pint its come off a car roof at some stage. All the rest, looks like the owner swam a fair few times. 
The dent on the tail - insignificant unless you smash the same point again.
The dent on the bottom - will make the boat much slower
The damage around the ratchet - the will pull out again and again.
The outline of the hull support is coming through the hull - a crack waiting to happen.

Overall, its flower pot material. Its a classic example of how swimming with no airbags kills boats. It will be very very slow, hopeless for surf. If you paddle flat water and sluice only, its worth 200. Otherwise steer clear