Author Topic: Alps 2013  (Read 16208 times)

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
Alps 2013
« on: October 23, 2012, 16:22:37 »
Shtory Hai !

I said I'd get the ball rolling here, probably fairly early though as well, but hey.

Who's interested in heading Alps next Summer ? I'd be hoping to head over for the best part of a month. Maybe after exams until the end of June-ish. Maybe organise a meeting to tlak about it, how soon ?

Expressed interest:
NiallF
NiallB
MarieH
Derv
Cillian
Cormac
Ross
Oisin
Maryanne
Karen - Woop Wooooop yeah yeah !!!!!!!
Nuala
Bill
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:58:57 by Niall Finch »

Offline DervM

Re: Alps 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 16:51:37 »
I'm totally up for it! Those were the dates I had in mind too. I think all we really need to worry about before christmas is whether we have some leaders on board as well  :).

Offline Chunderdragon

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 17:55:09 »
i diiiiggg! also drivers/cars!

Offline CormacR

• Sexually Frustrated Officer
  • I can't change that sexually frustrated thing
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 19:54:24 »
I dunno. I suppose I might absolutely be completely up for this.

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 21:23:37 »
Yup, totally

Offline MarieH

• Secretary 13/14
  • Cowboys Ted.....Cowboys!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 22:52:26 »
I'm well up for this and the sooner I know dates the better because I need to sort out dates for my rotations in the hospital for next summer. After exams-June would suit me best. And I think my car (aka George) would love an adventure too!

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:55:19 »
I'm well up for this and the sooner I know dates the better because I need to sort out dates for my rotations in the hospital for next summer. After exams-June would suit me best. And I think my car (aka George) would love an adventure too!

Shotgun !

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 13:10:33 »
I do like kayaking!
I'm not sure what I'll be up to in the summer (will hopefully have some sort of internship) but I'd definitely like to be involved in this if I can :)

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 13:16:17 »
Will see, there was some discussion about a few of us older people heading out. Though I might just pay money and head with the Canoe Ireland or Jenny.

Offline oisin.mchugh

• Vimeo
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 13:18:32 »
Im definitely up for 4 5 weeks in Italy :)

Offline Douchier

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 13:47:53 »
Firstly....WOOT!!

Secondly, I'm just going to throw some stuff down, it's pretty incoherent and it's really just stuff from my experience. In no way do you have to take it for granted nor especially use it as a constraint. I just thought that people who were thinking about it might like a little info on the matter.

I've been to the Alps twice now and I really, really, RELLY love it. It's warm, almost all of the time. When you go to the rivers, there's usually water in them and you're just generally surrounded by mates and sunshine for weeks on end.

You learn LOADS, absolutely loads. You go paddling almost every day and get much more done in each day than you'd be used to here. I also think that all of the warmth, sunshine and good vibes really help here!

That being the case, I would like to formally declare that I could be interested in this.
I can drive, but don't have a car(unless Maryanne wants to go). for renting, I'm over 25 but don't have 2 years experience( I don't know whether the last bit makes any difference)

In terms of dates:

the places where I've been, and where most people go are France, Italy and Slovenia.

Usually Italy runs in late May, France in lateMay/June and Slovenia seems to be running all of the time.

FYI the rivers usually run at these times because this is when the snow melts. It can of course rain too, and this can have a huge effect. Often when it rains over there, it RAINS!

In terms of logistics...
When I've been over there, it's been driving (thank you Maryanne).  You need lots of drivers and cars. three to a good-sized car seems to be about right and diesel. Definitely diesel. In the past, people have traded in their cars for the family car etc. to have something that's a bit bigger and more economical ( fuel costs are perhaps you biggest single outlay). Driving does add extra travel time, but if you've got the time, then it's actually quite fun. It's somewhere around 1350km from the ferry to Campertogno in Italy, we've done this in two days before, if you had two drivers to each car then you could possibly do this in one go.

You can fly in and rent a car either. I haven't done this though, perhaps Simon/Mark/Kyle/Peter could add some details?
I've seen other college clubs rent a van and drive that over with all of the gear, so that's something else.

Gear!
You really need your own full set of gear. Not just that ( depending on the nature of the trip) the club won't lend it, but
A: It's too much wear and tear to ask the club to absorb
B: You'll perform better and be happier having your own stuff. The difference between a set of club paddles and proper set and especially a club boat and your own is huge. The suitability of a boat to your needs and how well you outfit the boat really will make an enormous difference.
C: You can get the stuff in nice colours and shit. Just remember, there's going to be loads of photos.
I know that gear is really expensive, but you'll still have it when you come back (hopefully) and when you're over there you get so much better value from it anyway!

Level of the group.
Derv touched on this and it is really important. It determines where you're going to go, how much time you spend there etc. and this has a fair effect on the whole dynamic of the group.
You obviously need leaders for the group. But I think this seems to be a little chicken and egg. ie. more experienced people want to go paddling and are ususally more than happy to bring people down stuff, but dont want to be constrained in what they can do or where they can go either. It is unfortunately a tricky on to predict. A lot of the people who are thinking of going now are going to develop a lot between now and then (or alternatively, they won't, it's an active process). Also people will react differently when presented with the challenges you meet. It's a funny one.

Jeez that's long, sorry about that.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 13:55:09 by Douchier »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 14:22:42 »
Somewhere on the site there was the Alps bible, the combined experience from about 3-4 years worth of club trips to the alps including one where we had over 40 people in the Alps at one time. The logistics on bigger ones demand that you have two or three trip leaders for the on the water stuff but they also tended to get landed with the off the water stuff as well.

We broke the groups as follows
Trip leader = Instructor or very experienced paddler
Sweeper = pretty much instructor or very experienced paddler this is a very important role on alpine trips
Rescue = level 4
Paddling group 1 anywhere from first year to third or fourth year
Paddling group 2 anywhere from first year to third or fourth year

People in the paddling groups were not guaranteed to paddle every river, if they improved over the time there they could move up and do more stuff.

We generally managed 2 river trips a day for 2 weeks, easy one in the morning hard in the afternoon

Fly drive is one way to go, much easier on the driver, however you need to get a roofrack when you arrive in country, you also need to be over 25 to get the cheapest rates. Most of us Flew and rented while there this saved time in getting to the alps as we could just fly directly to an area rather than travel cross country. At the time it cost around the same as travelling cross country

There are now more rules about boats on flights due to weight restrictions among other things.

I would say the earlier you decide to organise the cheaper it will be to book, flights and boats also it will give you a goal for your paddling for the year.

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 19:30:47 »
I have a digital copy of the 2004 Alps Bible. If anyone wants it, let me know.

I might be around at the end of May for a week (stupid English school term going until July...), so if anyone wants to go to Italy I'd love to tag along maybe

Offline Nuala

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 19:58:10 »
I would like to go, think I will be free. But I won't know till February or so.

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 20:16:08 »
I may be interested but will be very out of practice, I can't really see myself paddling past new years with finals.