Author Topic: First Aid Training Course  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
First Aid Training Course
« on: March 06, 2013, 15:16:36 »
Who would be interested in doing a first aid course over the midterm?
All trainee instructors are required to do a first aid course, but it's also just a good idea.

Here's what Canoeing Ireland's page says about it:
http://canoe.ie/en-us/awardsqualifications/firstaid.aspx

Of what's available there I would prefer a REC3.
I believe 12 people are needed for a course like that.

Best case scenario:
- 12 of us commit to doing the course over the midterm
- one of us* rings the providers listed to find who'll offer the lowest price (perhaps researching other providers too)
- one of us* finds a venue where we can hold the course (eg the Canoeing Ireland centre)

Otherwise
- I'd look around other colleges
- or just find one free spot on a planned course and go myself

*one of us could be me, after I finish midterms and assignments, but if anyone else would like to give it a go that's cool too.

Fill in when you're free here:
http://doodle.com/wv8sebyzbkmwtata
The course takes two days (I believe) and starts early.

Interested:
Maryanne Doyle
Diarmuid Ryan
Cillian Totterdell
Niall Finch
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 21:57:05 by Maryanne »

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
Re: First Aid Training Course
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 15:56:39 »
I did one a couple of weeks ago with Ronan Lenihan. As far as I know hes the cheapest at 125 and was without anykind club contribution or anything.
Barry Redmond did my previous one and hes excellent.

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 15:57:09 »
I might be interested in this, I think Mountaineering might also be organising these so there might be something there that we could get in on

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 16:13:32 »
I did one a couple of weeks ago with Ronan Lenihan. As far as I know hes the cheapest at 125 and was without anykind club contribution or anything.
Barry Redmond did my previous one and hes excellent.

Thanks for the recommendations! Cool sruff :).

I might be interested in this, I think Mountaineering might also be organising these so there might be something there that we could get in on

Oh really, that's class!
Do you have any details on when that'll be?

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 16:16:16 »

Oh really, that's class!

I don't think they know :)

Offline Chunderdragon

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 17:14:38 »
I'd definitely be up for it!

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 17:40:09 »
Barry Redmond also has offered a 1 day course for people who have their REC it would in wicklow with gear and running scenarios through the day

Offline Conor Mohan

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 19:47:07 »

All trainee instructors are required to do a first aid course, but it's also just a good idea.

If I was to go for an instructorship at some stage in the future does it have to be a REC course? I've got OFA(which is about to expire) and I'm on an EFR one at the minute.

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 19:54:13 »

If I was to go for an instructorship at some stage in the future does it have to be a REC course? I've got OFA(which is about to expire) and I'm on an EFR one at the minute.

No neither of them are recognised by the Casnoeing Ireland I'm afraid. They just don't transfer to a river bank or mountain top well enough.

Remote Emergency Care (REC) and Wilderness First Aid (WFA) are both recognised by CI. They are first aid courses developed by and for people in the outdoors like paddlers, mountaineers and mounain bikers and take into account the difficulty of the envirenments and equipment and trasportation limitations which we face in the hills.

Well worth the money I have to say.

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 21:31:03 »
Would be very interested in this but I'm only really around the second week of midterm

Offline Conor Mohan

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 21:54:51 »

No neither of them are recognised by the Casnoeing Ireland I'm afraid. They just don't transfer to a river bank or mountain top well enough.

Remote Emergency Care (REC) and Wilderness First Aid (WFA) are both recognised by CI. They are first aid courses developed by and for people in the outdoors like paddlers, mountaineers and mounain bikers and take into account the difficulty of the envirenments and equipment and trasportation limitations which we face in the hills.

Well worth the money I have to say.

Hmmm ok thanks for that! I'm surprised they wouldn't take EFR - It's fairly detailed!

http://www.phecit.ie/Images/PHECC/EFR.pdf

But I suppose it makes sense if you need to take into account remote locations & equipment/transport limitations.

Although I'd love to do the REC3, I think I'll get the EFR out of the way first. (Unless the price is right that is!!)    ;)

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:01 »
Possibly interested price and time dependent...

Offline KatieMcLoughlin

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 12:25:01 »

Oh really, that's class!

Ya we(MC) are not fully sure, waiting on a full list of people interested, but we're subsidising ours to about 50-80 euro for our members which may work out pretty well if ye wanted to join and do it with us?!

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 12:47:55 »

Oh really, that's class!

Ya we(MC) are not fully sure, waiting on a full list of people interested, but we're subsidising ours to about 50-80 euro for our members which may work out pretty well if ye wanted to join and do it with us?!

Class! Yeah, I'd be well up for that, when are you planning it for?
Hmm, so now would be a good time to become a mountaineering member, eh? ;)

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 12:54:58 »
Having done a course with all paddlers and another one with a mix of climbers, mountaineers and bikers I have to say it was much better with just paddlers. Everything was tailored to the river bank and river problems.

The other one was great too especially if you do a bit of walking etc, but I think if you could get enough paddlers together it'd be super.

Of course if you cant it still an excellent oppertunity and course with the mmountaineering club.

You can't go wrong really.