Author Topic: Saturday 23rd February - SIGN UP CLOSED  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Amanda

• Light shop
Re: Saturday 23rd February - SIGN UP BY THURSDAY
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 23:10:32 »
I have Saturday off work so am thinking of tagging along in a teaching the freshers the importance of having matching gear as you swim down the river type of role. I will be driving.

Offline CormacR

• Sexually Frustrated Officer
  • I can't change that sexually frustrated thing
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 23:42:27 »

Offline Sarah K

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 00:27:32 »
Ok so its 25 minutes past Thursday but if there is any chance I could still go I would love to! It'd be L2 training  :)

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 15:33:17 »
Ok guys, here's what you need to know for this weekend:

L2 training
Sarah Keogh
Stuart Campell

Here's the L2 syllabus: http://canoe.ie/en-us/awardsqualifications/skillsawards.aspx#_Toc286832618
One change: low brace turn has been replaced with turning on the move (no biggie at all)
Have a look over it, see how much you recognise and how much sounds new.
Maybe pick 2/3 familiar things you can aim to polish and 2/3 new things to ask about.
You can direct the coaching on the day to cover what you want to learn, keep in mind that there are two pool sessions a week and more river trips to come so you do have time, so make the most of it!

L3 training
Conor Mohan
Garbhan Gorman
Kate Barry
Eva Du
Micheal O' Brien

Here's the L3 sylabus: http://canoe.ie/en-us/awardsqualifications/skillsawards.aspx#_Toc286832619
Have a look over it, see how much you recognise and how much sounds new.
Maybe pick 4/5 familiar things you can aim to polish and 2/3 new things to ask about.
You can direct the coaching on the day to cover what you want to learn, keep in mind that there are two pool sessions a week and more river trips to come so you do have time, so make the most of it!
For L3 skills time on the water outdoors is especially important, so if you're serious about assessment (and skills development in general) get out on the Saturday trips!

Rescue
Ross Kerrigan
Diarmuid Ryan
Niall Finch
Cillian Totterdell
* L3 intro to rescue *
Conor Mohan
Garbhan Gorman

We have  weirs to set up specific rescue for as well as maintaining group awareness the whole way down the river. Here's the beginnings of a template of guidelines.
http://forum.ucdcanoeclub.com/index.php/topic,11351.new.html#new

Logging
Niall Finch
Cillian Totterdell
Niall Bouchier - if the instructor can only log two people as the last to sign up you're out

We'll only have one instructor who we'll be asking to run L2 and L3 training. As L2 trainees you are all allowed to instruct L2 and L3 skills, as long as it's on grade two water. Look over the syllabi above and be prepared for the questions the L2 & L3 skills trainees will have.
Decide between you how you could run this, one trainee with L3s and one with L2s with/without swapping, where do you want the instructor, which group will need how much rescue, what will the L2 trainees do while the L3s are surfing etc. Paddy had a good set up last week using two separate groups, keeping them at the same locations but working them on different features.

Playboating
Maryanne Doyle

If more rescue is needed I'll help with that of course, but letting rescue develop is very important!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 22:20:31 by Maryanne »

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 15:37:04 »
If I could be back in UCD before 5 I can go... If not I can't :/

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 15:53:10 »
Myself and Amanda are joining you but since we are completely private regarding gear we won't be in your ratios. I can now sign log books up to 10 hours for level 2. Hey Diarmuid can give you a lift back if late but last week you where off the river before 3:30.

When dealing with pool hours please tell me you want hours logged and I will hang out near you in the pool to observe and I would like to do a debrief as well.

Offline M1XR

• Committee 11/12
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 21:48:20 »
it is with great regret i must inform that i am withdrawing my intention to attend tomorrows trip. Unfortunatly, unexpected happenings have arisen

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 20:20:53 »
Amazing trip.
It snowed gently the whole way, there were only two capsizes all day, the L2 (all refreshers no less!) and L3 training groups got on fantastically and both rescue and the instruction was designed by second years.

Fantastic to see all the skills that have been developed over the last two years (and in the last month for the refreshers) have resulted in a group that handled the trip so competently and made the club look so good.

The feedback form the instructor (John) was that he felt that he hardly needed to be there, that we were able to run the trip ourselves safely.

Lets do the next one even better.

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 11:51:48 »
Craicin trip guys - well done to all !

Offline Chunderdragon

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 12:04:06 »
Cillian is bent !
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:08:03 by Niall Finch »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 20:05:27 »
Did Cillian in some way point out that whoever edited his post may have taking a little out of boat experience in wrens.

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 20:21:32 »
Did Cillian in some way point out that whoever edited his post may have taking a little out of boat experience in wrens.

Crossing an eddy line in the large Karnali I hear

Offline Chunderdragon

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 21:24:02 »
i don't remember proclaiming myself bent but it's on the internet so it must be true....

Offline DervM

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 23:40:36 »
Oh hey Niall, told everyone in Galway you swam on Wren's. That cool yeah?