Author Topic: BAs  (Read 23752 times)

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
BAs
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:02 »
So it's gotten to the point where my red ziptastic BA isn't very buoyant anymore, and after quite a long five years is in need of retirement! So, I'm now on the hunt for a new one! Any tips on what to avoid/look for? Want one that will last me a while in terms of being able to use it for rescue/it not deciding to spontaneously disintegrate  afro.gif

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
Re: BAs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:23:05 »
Try them on in the shops. Many have the same buoyancy for different sizes and all that changes in the strap length. I have a small/medium so none of the straps dangle to get caught in anything. Get one with at least 60N. Can't suggest more until I know how much are you looking to spend.

Offline DervM

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:18:22 »
If you didn't mind secondhand (or thirdhand) then I could sell you my lovely one? Rescue ready, good buoyancy  :)

Offline HelenaC

• PRO 13/14
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 10:56:59 »
Do what i did and "aquire" one from Trinity... mwahahaha free BA!! :D

(that still has the tags on coz i havnt gotten to use it yet... its sitting in my house in Cork if anyone wants to borrow it... i had kinda forgotten i owned up until today, now it feels like i won it all over again!!  :P )

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 16:51:54 »

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 17:17:58 »
I was just about to mention that women's one Maryanne, I could really feel the support myself!

I think Derv can also attest to this?

Offline MarieH

• Secretary 13/14
  • Cowboys Ted.....Cowboys!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 18:52:55 »
Look for something with good pocket space. I'm fairly happy with my stohloquist one but it could do with some more pocket space.

Offline DervM

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 19:18:28 »
The women's ones are SOOOOO comfortable!

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 21:42:05 »
Yeah Maryanne's advice is pretty spot on.

The Palm Luna (womens ba) is essesntially the same as the Extreme which i have, but is designed in terms of fit and and shape for the female shape. The amp is also the same but an over the head job. Pros: Really great bouyancy aid, very well thought out. Excellent freedom of movent loads of room for gear. Cons: Price, its a top end ba and priced as such. Bulky up front, some people find it too big in the front, i havent.

The Axis is super too. I had this ba for years really happy. Pros: Best value ba on the market in my view. Its unrestrictive has a nice big pocket and its not too dear. Cons: Its made from one flat slab of foam so it doesnt hug your body the way a curved block does. Some girls i know didnt find it comfy, but maryanne loves it, try before you buy. The zips seems to rust, but i think palm have sorted this?

The Astral green jacket is also very popular. Its an unrestrictive top-end ba priced as such. I dont have one but plenty of people in the club do. http://www.i-canoe.com/Buoyancy+Aids%25252FPFDs/Rescue+PFDs/Astral+Green+Whitewater+Kayaking+Rescue+PFD+2013.html

A lot of people like the kokatat one, it is unrestrictive and front opening which is nice, but didnt have the kind of  pocket access for me. http://www.i-canoe.com/Buoyancy+Aids%25252FPFDs/Rescue+PFDs/Kokatat+Ronin+PRO+PFD.html

The stolquist descent is also a popular highend ba at an excelent price good price. I know less about it but i does seem to be an unrestrictive ba with lots of room for gear at a very good price. http://www.totalexperience.ie/shop/show/0/STohlquist+Descent+PFD/71/9

I dont rate peak bas because the shoulders are only sown to one point rather than the whole way down.

Any of these are pretty good i dont think youd go too wrong but try before you buy. and remember youll get 10% off all the irish retailers.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 21:58:31 »
I was just about to mention that women's one Maryanne, I could really feel the support myself!

LOL!  ;D

If you plan on rescue etc/doing more than lifey stuff, having a rescue BA is best, so the chest harness etc (yeah as Maryanne says no complaints for the palm axis)

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 22:33:03 »
I knew exam time would be a great time to ask for tips  ;D procrastination = great advice ;)

Thanks guys! I'll be waiting till I'm actually finished exams to head out looking properly, but good to know what to look for  ;D

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:47:32 »
Anyone have an opinion on the NRS Zen? Relatively new to the market but seems good?

Offline Douchier

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 13:12:44 »
I think it looks nice, if I were getting a new BA I'd definitely consider it.

My opinion on BAs is that once they float, seem sturdy, have a chest harness and have a good big sturdy pocket then the rest is just down to what feels most comfortable on you.

I also think that sitting down when you're trying them on helps, that's how you're going to be using them - you will look silly though.

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 13:18:23 »
I tried on a load in Tuesday and many (according to Arriane in I-canoe) didn't suit my body type, and didn't feel right. The NRS Zen fit really well and felt good. So did the palm extrem which I tried in GOD. Both being similar price I'm just trying to decide...

Offline Garbhan

• omg guys, the forum time is BST instead of GMT :O
  • mmmmm.... timeee....
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 18:53:05 »
Steven your in the position I was in a few weeks ago. The Zen is very comfy, and the warm hand pocket is nice but the buoyancy doesn't come around the sides like the extreme does. It also doesn't have a CE rating (European standard) yet which put me off a small bit. The Zen is pretty much a Freestyle pfd with rescue features where as the Extreme is built from the start for rescue. Because of the big pocket you need the extreme to not be touching your deck when your in your boat as it can hinder you leaning forward.  The final thing was that Dave O'Reilly gave the Extreme EV a thumbs up so I gave it instead of the Zen and it's been great so far. Lastly the Amp is worth considering as well, even though it is cheaper than the Extreme they are a different fit meaning the buoyancy doesn't come as far around your sides allowing more movement and the pocket doesn't stick out as far. I also don't think I'll ever use the pocket in the back of the EV. In the end there all good PFDs.