Author Topic: Creek Shoes  (Read 10037 times)

Offline DervM

Creek Shoes
« on: May 09, 2013, 22:15:49 »

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
Re: Creek Shoes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 22:39:01 »
Not sure if it's any use to you but I bought these just before the boater x. I find they fit really snuggly and have really good grip. They're not too chunky either. I find the strap works great and I never feel like they'll come off.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=27&products_id=207481

If you wanted something with a thicker sole they have Palm Descender boots which are thicker neoprene and a much harder/thicker sole.

http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/canoes-online/Palm_Descender_Shoet.html

Sorry if this is totally useless info that you already know; I'm procrastinating!

Offline DervM

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 22:54:04 »
Thanks for those Steve! I'm just looking for more of a hard-soled shoe style thing. For rescue and such.

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 23:24:27 »
These were my all time favourite river shoes, until one of them was carried off by the campsite dog in Campertogno  :'(
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/20654W/0/Womens/Waterpro-Maipo?dimensions=0
Very good sole, before I broke them in kayaking I went for a hike or two in them and was very impressed (walked on pointy rocks and stuff).
They were quite low profile, I have quite narrow feet so I'm very conscious of bulky shoes (hate them) so I'd call them low profile for sure.

Since that pair I've gone through all the Dunnes/Penny's runners we had in the house, some of which exploded.
I reckon they're too low quality, but have heard very good things about getting a pair of decent runners and adding water draining holes and/or paring off extraneous sole protuberances.

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 23:25:23 »
Re: canyoneers, 5.10s in general
I'd stay very far away from 5.10s, haven't heard a good word said about them in a long time.
eg:
"I recently bought a pair of water tennies as I liked the sound of the stealth rubber soles with lower profile compared to the canyoneers. They are showing signs of deterioration after 10 days canyoning."
"2 pairs of canyoneers in 6 months not a fan anymore really, amazing boots if only they lasted!!!"
"Yep the sole and all the glued bits are all coming off on my water tennies. bought these about 10 months ago and have worn them at least once a week on average. really good shoe if only they lasted especially since they cost 100 quid..."
"Although the grip on rock is second to none the shoe itself falls apart or wears away after only a small bit of use!!"
"2 outings and I see the glue coming away at the toes."
Oh wait, here's a good word
"I have mine since 2 years and they are still going strong."
- Irish Freestyle Facebook Page: recent post about 5.10s

Offline DervM

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 23:30:34 »
Yeah, but that recent word is from Ariane... And iCanoe sell 5.10s  :P.

Yeah, I'd love some Merrells either! I was wondering about the high ankle low ankle differences in shoe losing as well?

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 23:34:40 »
Yeah, but that recent word is from Ariane... And iCanoe sell 5.10s  :P.
Ah! I see what you're saying!

Yeah, I'd love some Merrells either! I was wondering about the high ankle low ankle differences in shoe losing as well?
Hmm, I think those Merrels came off me once or twice...
Trying to remember, I think after I started using a drysuit I didn't tie them as tightly because I wasn't used to the leg-sock set up. I think that was my fault so.

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 23:38:59 »
Go to TKmax and see if they have river shoes mis-labled as runners. Nobody buys them. I've seen Teva's for 30euro ( never in my size though ).

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 23:47:32 »
Go to TKmax and see if they have river shoes mis-labled as runners. Nobody buys them. I've seen Teva's for 30euro ( never in my size though ).

Thriftshop Peter.
"I buy yo misplaced shoes, I look incredible"
(Oddly worried you don't know that song and will think I'm [extra] weird)

Offline Douchier

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:43:38 »

W   E   I   R   D0
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:58:09 by Douchier »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 10:17:30 »
From the inventor of the study sack..weirdness..never.
Niall a smart man once posted

I found merrels great until the soles fell off but that was after 3 years of use. Didn't ever come close to losing them. Dave B found that they did break apart quickly but a good repair kept them going. At present I've the keen river boot and so far so good come back in a year.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:20:15 by kmck »

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 11:56:38 »

Thriftshop Peter.
"I buy yo misplaced shoes, I look incredible"

Not familiar with that song, don't have head phone with me to listen to youtube in the library.

Niall, some days your logic goes over my head.

Offline Garbhan

• omg guys, the forum time is BST instead of GMT :O
  • mmmmm.... timeee....
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 00:11:39 »

Offline oisin.mchugh

• Vimeo
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 12:08:13 »
Got my river shoes in tesco :P they were 9 euro , had a pair of 5:10 cannoneer Sar boots before that and the tesco ones I prefer .. Definitely keep an eye out in the like of tesco and pennies and tos kind of places you'd be surprised how much you can use for kayaking

All my thermals and boots for Italy came from tesco.. All together to put shoes on my feet and head to toe in light thermals cost me 20 euro can't be that

Offline CormacR

• Sexually Frustrated Officer
  • I can't change that sexually frustrated thing
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 23:39:20 »