Author Topic: Roof Racks  (Read 14123 times)

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
Roof Racks
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:23:26 »
Right, so I'm going to have to buy roof racks, I'm not too sure which brands are good and bad etc. Bottom line I'm looking for something that'll do the job and look alright for a decent price. If there's anything I should take into consideration please holler at me people. I've a Volvo S40 '05 model. Thanks a million y'all!  8)

Offline Scabidas

• Can't Cycle
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Scabidas
Re: Roof Racks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:26:50 »
There's nothing really to consider from what I have gathered. I guess the only real differences are roof racks that attach directly to your roof and ones that use the doors as a fixing point. Avoid those in my opinion if you can get the other type.

If buying new, probably will be around 100 euro, maybe more. Second hand might be cheaper but considerably harder to find.

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:04 »
You need to consider whether you want to leave them on all the time or not...square bar ones are better for holding boats but the rounded bar ones are more aero dynamic for when you don't have a boat on top :) 
not a huge amount in fuel consumption difference, but it can add up if you're driving to and from home with them on the car :)

Offline Scabidas

• Can't Cycle
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Scabidas
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:12:05 »
What she said ^. Aero bars make less noise too compared to square bars. But if your gonna be putting on roof bar pads all of these benefits are lost.

I've been driving with my bars on my car for the last month and a bit (They were stuck on the car :( )  and haven't really noticed a difference in fuel consumption.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:29:53 »
Thule, you can pick up generic roof bars in a few places but you can go to Halfords and they will fit them for you. Around €120. I've had the ones that grip the door frame and they will rub the paint and eventually damage the frame...however you're sticking boats on your roof which will also damage the rood over time.

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:41:15 »
Take to bars off when you're not using them. Fuel saving, less noise and bars won't corrode.

Halfords/Thule combination used to be the way to go. But now that main dealers are getting some sense and Halfords are screwing us on exchange rates its well worth checking main dealer prices.

I've a set of Thule bars from my 2001 Opel Ventra that I didn't re-use because it was cheaper to get new Opel bars for my mother's 2011 Corsa than get a fit pack to re-use the bars. They are free to a good home at this stage. Collect from Limerick.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 13:37:03 »
I got mine in Stillorgan across from the shopping centre there's a car shop, did it for me over lunch and I don't think it cost me an arm and a leg. Don't roof rack straps from him as the ones I got produced a soapy substance when wet which caused boats to slip off the roof.

Offline HelenaC

• PRO 13/14
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 14:21:12 »
I just looked on donedeal/ adverts.ie etc coz corsa racks were a bit hard to come by... worked out fine, had to travel to the northside though... (not recommended, I barely escaped with all four types...*I joke...kinda)

Offline Douchier

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 00:13:25 »
Get somthing

Don't agonise over it too much

BOOM!

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:46:07 »
The main dealer ones are 185, good price, now the only reservation I have is that the metal bar doesn't protrude beyond the bracket, will this make life considerably more difficult when it comes to securing multiple kayaks?

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/original-roof-rack-load-bars-for-volvo-s40-may-fit-other-models/414982

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 09:32:40 »
It can make a little harder when you've four, but if you've four boats you also generally have four people lots of hands to balance boats until they're tied up.

Offline Douchier

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 10:14:30 »
The main dealer ones are 185, good price, now the only reservation I have is that the metal bar doesn't protrude beyond the bracket, will this make life considerably more difficult when it comes to securing multiple kayaks?

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/original-roof-rack-load-bars-for-volvo-s40-may-fit-other-models/414982

Oh Christ it does.
Maryanne's car has those and they're a real pain. (Sorry Maryanne, I'm not insulting the mighty Astra, I swear!)
Longer ones definitely make life easier.

I'd be pretty sure that he Thule ones from Halfords would be a good bit cheaper than €185? Actually...let's procrastinate

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 15:24:02 »
Did a bit of research, the Volvo racks (unsurprisingly) fit better on the car and the total cost of 185 is cheaper than all the necessary thule pieces that I needed (245) - it was an aero bar that made it expensive. So I've ordered the Volvo racks and told them to give me discount. I'd sooner it be a bit awkward to get 4 kayaks on than have the car damaged from badly fitting racks! ;)

Offline Douchier

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 15:40:57 »