Boats and Gear > Boats and Gear

Roof Racks

(1/3) > >>

Zog:
Right, so I'm going to have to buy roof racks, I'm not too sure which brands are good and bad etc. Bottom line I'm looking for something that'll do the job and look alright for a decent price. If there's anything I should take into consideration please holler at me people. I've a Volvo S40 '05 model. Thanks a million y'all!  8)

Scabidas:
There's nothing really to consider from what I have gathered. I guess the only real differences are roof racks that attach directly to your roof and ones that use the doors as a fixing point. Avoid those in my opinion if you can get the other type.

If buying new, probably will be around 100 euro, maybe more. Second hand might be cheaper but considerably harder to find.

Aoife S:
You need to consider whether you want to leave them on all the time or not...square bar ones are better for holding boats but the rounded bar ones are more aero dynamic for when you don't have a boat on top :) 
not a huge amount in fuel consumption difference, but it can add up if you're driving to and from home with them on the car :)

Scabidas:
What she said ^. Aero bars make less noise too compared to square bars. But if your gonna be putting on roof bar pads all of these benefits are lost.

I've been driving with my bars on my car for the last month and a bit (They were stuck on the car :( )  and haven't really noticed a difference in fuel consumption.

kmck:
Thule, you can pick up generic roof bars in a few places but you can go to Halfords and they will fit them for you. Around €120. I've had the ones that grip the door frame and they will rub the paint and eventually damage the frame...however you're sticking boats on your roof which will also damage the rood over time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version