Author Topic: First Aid Kit  (Read 13883 times)

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
First Aid Kit
« on: December 09, 2013, 00:28:58 »
Hey everyone!

With Kerry just around the corner and having recently done a REC 3 course I'm thinking about purchasing a first aid kit for my kayak. I'm basically looking for any advice people have on stuff that is really essential and stuff that's not really necessary? Or even if there's a kit that people would recommend to buy?

I've been looking at a Lifesystems waterproof first aid kit which is meant to be aimed at Canoeing and Kayaking which I'll add a link for at the bottom.

Any advice is appreciated as I don't want to go waste money on extra stuff that'll just be extra weight in the boat!

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=2QulUrGyCcLA7AaD_ICoCw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dq5zZdOm4Ah4&cd=2&ved=0CCoQtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNEwfbhFJ9d6_Z6M0f_SxgzeomDyEg

Thanks!

Offline Chunderdragon

Re: First Aid Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 00:43:37 »
http://www.canoe.ie/en-gb/awardsqualifications/firstaid.aspx

There's a list of everything you should idealy have.

Your best option is to go into i-canoe and ask them to pick some stuff out for you. They'll give you everything you need for a good price, can't go too far wrong!

For me, I have (or had, some stuff went down with my boat) an otterbox with a standard lifesystems first aid kit and a sam splint, along with my other kit. can't go too far wrong

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:11:43 »
It depends I only have a little whopsy pouch most of the time, the big one is in the car.

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 21:05:50 »
Would one notice 200g in a boat? If I had to choose between a 500g kit and 700g kit with a bit more stuff in it, is it worth the extra weight?

Offline Scabidas

• Can't Cycle
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Scabidas
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 21:09:36 »
You will without a doubt not notice that. If you drink half a bottle of water do you notice it
? I doubt it.

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 21:27:39 »
Would one notice 200g in a boat? If I had to choose between a 500g kit and 700g kit with a bit more stuff in it, is it worth the extra weight?

No difference I'd say! I take a few litres of water into the boat every river trip sure ;)

Offline Douchier

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 03:31:13 »
Didn't you just do a really expensive course that teaches you all this stuff??

I reckon that the life-systems ones are a bit gimicky and are a bit short on the things that you really need.,
If you ever end-up needing burn-gel for kayaking then it's probably because you were drunk and did something stupid - in which case you don't deserve a first-ad kit.

You're only really looking to cater for real emergencies:

Fanny-pads and duct tape will get you through most anything but
I'd also include a mini barrier device, proper shears, some rubber gloves, cling-film and maybe a bivvy-bag.

...just don't forget the safe-word.

My instructing kit would have a few more things.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:40:10 by Douchier »

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:14:01 »
Probably better to get a larger dry bag and a non-waterproof FA kit. When you bring bivy bag, swimming hat, jellies and so on with you will need a dry bag for them.

were drunk and did something stupid - in which case you don't deserve a first-ad kit.

Niall, careful what you say.

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 09:48:07 »
Didn't you just do a really expensive course that teaches you all this stuff??

Indeed I did. But what I was really looking for was any advice people have from personal experience. Is there anything in particular that people had found really wasn't necessary or was an absolute must have.

I'm kind of considering getting full kit and I can then just take stuff out if I don't need it. I feel like it's no harm to have another well stocked kit in the club.

Probably better to get a larger dry bag and a non-waterproof FA kit. When you bring bivy bag, swimming hat, jellies and so on with you will need a dry bag for them.

I was thinking this myself, and it's probably what I'll do. How big of a dry bag is generally good for the back of a boat? 15L?

...just don't forget the safe-word.

What's the 'safe-word'?

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:50:30 »
A safe word is chosen by you and your partner or partners before undertaking an activity where stop or no may not be an option. For instance the safe word for stopping my car because you want to get sick is "armadillo", "Not stop the car I'm going to get sick" because that just wouldn't make sense

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 11:06:00 »
Terrible quality but oh well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOVq81k4Y_U

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 08:16:25 »
Gloves
Antiseptic wipes
Plasters
Electrical tape
Wound dressings
Bandages
Gause
CPR mask
Sanitary towels
Clingfilm
Sheers

Don't worry about the pretty case it'll be in a dry bag.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:18:19 by Tiny Tim »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 11:25:02 »
One final thing, take it out of the dry bag when not on the river as surprisingly dry bags aren't always that dry and while penicillin is an antibiotic not all mould is penicillin.