Author Topic: Dry bag advice  (Read 11594 times)

Offline Jocano

Dry bag advice
« on: February 14, 2014, 21:44:13 »
Hi guys,

I want to buy a dry bag and would be happy to hear some opinions on brands and/or models... Peter said the Palm bags tend to leak, any other opinion on that?

Looking for around 75l and (very important!) relatively comfortable shoulder straps, need to cycle with this.. And well I'd be happy not to spend a fortune, but any kind of recommendation welcome.

Cheers
Jocano

Offline kmck

• "99"
Re: Dry bag advice
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 22:18:01 »
My palm is now Steven's dry bag, it didn't break, it did begin to leak after 6 years. I currently have a peak uk bag, it's water proof but a very light material. I'd prefer an NRS bag to be honest tougher material.

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 13:24:46 »
LOMO are a scottish company making lots of good equipment, a lot of people have their dry suits and find them good, I think garbhan also has experience with some of their smaller dry bags..? They have an array of options at very very good prices, they would certainly be worth taking a look.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html

Offline Garbhan

• omg guys, the forum time is BST instead of GMT :O
  • mmmmm.... timeee....
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 18:37:32 »
I don't have any Lomo gear but their Dry Bag Holdalls seem to be very very popular as you don't have to pull everything out to get at something at the bottom. They'd be fine for cycling if you don't mind a single cross chest strap.
Most cheaply made cyclindrical drybags will have the same problem strap but there are many designs with the fullly padded double shoulder straps and belt http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/rucksack-dry-bags-rucksacks.html Andrew Lynam has the palm one with the nice shoulder straps so I suggest you try that before you buy. The main thing you need to consider with regular dry bags and cycling is go for ones that are short and wide so that the bag doesn't rub on your rear wheel(mine currently has a leak because of this). This also makes it easier to get stuff out of it too.

Offline Andy J

• Equipment Officer 14/15
  • Cork boi!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 19:44:30 »
I don't know what brand it is but i can advise you later in the week. Its blue! I bought it before Kerry and used on two of the river trips there and had no problems, it was only 60l but that plenty for gear. shoulder straps are nice, not the most comfortable but do the job and don't cut your shoulders. Hope this helps.

Offline Jocano

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 22:22:23 »
Thanks guys for your help!

The Lomo 60l rucksack looks pretty good and I also like the fact that the whole carrying system is removable. Seems to sit quite high, so perfect for cycling, too. Any shop in Ireland that has them? Didn't find anything... £12 shipping for a £21 product is quite a lot...

Offline Garbhan

• omg guys, the forum time is BST instead of GMT :O
  • mmmmm.... timeee....
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 23:39:22 »
Lorcan from Saor Uisce is the main Irish dealer. Sound guy, he might even do free delivery if you invite him down to a pool session to look at the ridiculous amount of boats UCD have bought off him!  :P  :P  :D

Offline Jocano

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 00:03:29 »
Sent him a message, cheers!