Boats and Gear > Boats and Gear

Paddles :D

(1/4) > >>

canoekev:
Guys does anyone have any recommendations/tips for paddles?  I'm just looking at the moment but would like to get a decent set some time in the future. From paddles I've tried I prefer them with less feather, plus I'd like to get more into playboating.. Also do good polo - whitewater paddles exist?

The absolute most I'd be willing to spend would be 250 but they'd have to be perfect (and brand new). Any ideas or even things to avoid? And is it better to go a bit longer or shorter or does it matter?

(I dont mind second hand.. so long as they're not in bits)

DervM:
http://wernerpaddles.com/fit_guide_widget/

This is a really helpful resource. Also I like Werner paddles so would recommend them anyway. ATs are the other current popular brand but they do tend to be a bit heavier than Werners and often can be more pricy for your first paddle - more in the region of €350 than €220.

Tips: get shaft length, blades, and feather to do you for both freestyle and river-running. So probably 197cm, mid-size blades, and a 30o or 45o feather. Don't get too long or short (some people recommend shorter for freestyle, but I haven't heard that as much recently, and it makes them less useful for rivers). Don't get big blades like Powerhouses unless you know your shoulders can handle them.

Don't know about any good polo-whitewater blades as even polo blades break often. And they're made for it.

Peter O'Sullivan:
Next time you're on the water ask to try other peoples' paddles. Try as many as you can. Find what you like.

canoekev:
it gave me sherpa (194cm) which is actually what I've been leaning towards for a while. I tried Nialls AT's a few weeks ago, they were nice but I think i prefer werner. (They might just have been too big) also forgot to mention that I'm about 5'8.

Steven Mul:
Ye I'd say stay away from powerhouses unless you feel you've a good powerful stroke. I like my 30° feather compared to a 45°. Try people's paddles and get a feel for what you like. I'm not mad on ATs but others love them. Sherpas sound like a good call for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version