Author Topic: Varsities - What the hell is happening?  (Read 9365 times)

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
Varsities - What the hell is happening?
« on: February 03, 2015, 13:53:18 »
WOOOOOOO!!!! VARSITIES!!!!!!
So varsities is happening this weekend, and I'm here to clear up all those little question you have!  angel.gif

Thursday:
10-1.45pm  Boat fitting and choosing at the boathouse!
This will be your chance to pull out a boat that you like and make sure it fits you nice a snug for the Long Distance!

Friday:
6-7pm       Trailer Pack! (this has changed from the email sent!) If you're not at the boat pack you will not have paddling gear or a boat for either the Long Distance or Boater Cross!  We need as much help with this as possible so please arrive as soon as you possibly can!

7pm          The bus will be leaving at 7pm sharp!!! If you're not there, they probably will leave without you, cause realistically 'ain't nobody got time for that!!!'  Drinking is allowed on the bus so bring some! (for anyone with small bladder syndrome avoid the cans, spirits are far less bladder filling!)

9.30/10pm Arrive in Galway!  We are staying in the Savoy Hostel on Eglinton Street in Galway city! (just incase the mammies are asking)   We will be quickly putting our bags into the hostel rooms and leaving straight away for the party! 
WE WILL NOT BE WAITING IN THE HOSTEL SO HAVE ANYTHING YOU NEED FOR THE PARTY READY!

The party that night will be in upstairs in Kelly's Bar, Bridge Street.  We'll be walking there from the hostel, bring €15 for your tickets to the parties over the two nights! (or €20 if you want a t-shirt)

Saturday:
6am            Wakey Wakey!!! Yep, it's horrible we know, but we didn't decide the times for the weekend!  Get up, dressed and some good food into you! The hostel will have 'continental breakfast' so if you want anything else bring it with you! :)

7am           The bus will be here to pick us up! 

8am           The races start!  Make sure you're on the water for your start time! (Check the lists below for your colours and start times!)

12pm         Races hopefully all finished, repack the trailers, hop on the bus back to hostel.   Head to shops for food for lunch/dinner! (Chicken fillet rolls, noodles etc! There is a kitchen in the hostel but not enough time to be cooking major feasts!)

(Up for change depending on water levels)
2.30/2.45pm      Hopping back on the bus to head to watch the Freestyle! This will (hopefully) be held at Tuam.  Drinking at this event is encouraged, there'll be a DJ on site :)

(sometime after dark)   Heading back to the hostel, bit of food, getting dressed for FANCY DRESS!!! :D
DRINKING IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE ROOMS!!! THEY HAVE ALLOWED US TO DRINK IN THE COMMON ROOM!!!

PARTY TIME!!! Around 9.30/10.00 we'll head to the party in the Vic Nightclub!

Sunday:
9am      (Look, we've given you a lie in  evil.gif) Get up, Get out, get paddling!!!!  Pack your bags and clear the rooms!

10am      The bus will pick up us and our bags! It will drop us to the get on of the BoaterX, (NUIG Baothouse) wait while we get changed and then head to the get off in Galway City! (Claddagh Basins, this isn't too far of a walk!)

10.30am    Registration for BoaterX

11.00 am   Races start! :D
           (When you aren't on the water, get some food into you!)
3.00pm      BoaterX finished, hop on the bus, head to the awards giving in NUIG to receive our new toy for the trophy cabinet!!  ;)

'Some time later'   We head on home to Dublin!

Room Allocations:
So the hostle have asked for room lists, I've made these up for ye and we'll let ye know when you get there what rooms you'll be in! There will be security on the doors when you're going in at night so keep your room keys with you and try to stay in your listed rooms :)

LONG DISTANCE GROUPS:

K1 Men  (YELLOW GROUP!)
Simon Grennell

High Performance Men (YELLOW GROUP!)
David Mulrooney  (Lawrence)
 Peter O'Sullivan (Gola)

High Performance Women (YELLOW GROUP!)
Aisling Conlan  (Gola Sprint)
Helen Anthony (WaveHopper)

General Purpose Men (BLUE GROUP!)

Justin Cullinane
Matt Flood
Steven Mulrooney
Andrew Lynham
Adam Vallelly Farrell
Cormac Roche
Greg Healy
Johannes Thun
Michael O'Malley
Paul Ledwith
Rory O'Connor
Jamie Beattie

General Purpose Women (RED GROUP!)
Naddy Jones
Yvette Schutten
Jacqui Mernagh
Anna May Gibson-Kiely
Catie Knovereck
Nicola Tynan
Sara Griffin
Sarah Daniell
Niamh Delaney

Duo (GREEN GROUP!)
Evan O'Keefe + Niall Finch
John Enright + David Quinlan

Rescue
Andy J
Kieran McKevitt
Ailbhe
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:29:23 by Aoife S »

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
Re: Varsities - What the hell is happening?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 14:12:46 »
Put some people in Deividas' boat, and C2!

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 14:22:46 »
Don't have room for a canadian, have to bring boats for boatercross! and Deividas' boat is in the K2 category which noone wants to enter

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Majestic
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 14:40:06 »
If anyone wants to race in it they can though , just let us know soon!

Offline Scabidas

• Can't Cycle
  • Scabidas
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 14:46:21 »
Depending how many people are in that category, it makes sense to put anyone in it.

Offline CormacR

• Sexually Frustrated Officer
  • I can't change that sexually frustrated thing
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 15:11:22 »
I'll paddle K2. As long as finch isn't in it. Is it a touring boat?

Offline Jocano

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 15:20:01 »
What is general purpose?

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 16:04:22 »

Yeah, Touring Boat!

Don't have room for a canadian, have to bring boats for boatercross!

But isn't there two trailers and a shiteload of cars going down? Surely we'll be able to share BoaterX boats too?

Also a Canadian reduces the need for two GP boats and doesn't really take that up much more space.

We haven't been very competitive in C2 the past few years but the reason we won LD last year was we entered every category!

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Majestic
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 16:10:14 »
There aren't any points for entering a category, only where you come. Pretty sure there wasn't any last year either. No option to share boaterx boats. As far as I know, there are 4 cars, which covers 7 polo boats and 5 or 6 creekers. Also, the fact that we aren't competitive and won't be is the reason this class is being neglected.

Offline Andru93

• Quippy 16/17
  • Committee 16/17
  • Former Chief Trailer Puller :)
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 16:35:18 »

Yeah, Touring Boat!

Don't have room for a canadian, have to bring boats for boatercross!

But isn't there two trailers and a shiteload of cars going down? Surely we'll be able to share BoaterX boats too?

Also a Canadian reduces the need for two GP boats and doesn't really take that up much more space.

We haven't been very competitive in C2 the past few years but the reason we won LD last year was we entered every category!

The canadian will take up two LD boat spaces on the trailer I'm bringing! So I would say it would make sense to bring one. However I need an answer within the next 3 hours!

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 16:52:12 »
No don't bring it Andrew, we can fit more than two gp boats on their sides :)

Offline CormacR

• Sexually Frustrated Officer
  • I can't change that sexually frustrated thing
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 18:44:27 »
Ah here. That rescue team is far too talented (you'll never hear those words from me again). I don't want to hear any shite about freestyle the same day. 5k, tis but a warm up. Wasting good placings there.

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Majestic
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 19:15:36 »
Ah here. That rescue team is far too talented (you'll never hear those words from me again). I don't want to hear any shite about freestyle the same day. 5k, tis but a warm up. Wasting good placings there.

Derv doesn't want to do Long distance anyway, I could be persuaded, but we need 4 rescue

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 19:44:32 »

Rescue
Ross Kerrigan
Kieran McKevitt
Derv McAuley
Diarmuid Ryan

Its a flat water race, any level 3 paddlers will do for rescue. Rescue for LD race is nearly as hard as the race and doesn't count as a rest between events.

Offline DervM

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 20:39:01 »
Ugh. Cormac. Ugh.

Fine. Please bring me the blue Dancer with red bowlines.