Author Topic: Merry Tips for a Merry Kerry (2015/16 edition) 🎅  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
Merry Tips for a Merry Kerry (2015/16 edition) 🎅
« on: December 22, 2015, 01:04:09 »
So it's that time of year again...Kerry is soon upon us! As we're taking a slightly alternative approach this year, no harm in starting a new thread to keep ye all alive!

You've still got a couple of days at home to gather the essentials, so don't complain about cold toes and hunger down there  :P

Here are some top tips from the previous thread, feel free to add your own!

1. Water...water, water, water...
Not the paddling kind, the drinking one! Bring a water bottle and keep it glued to you, you'll appreciate it when you don't end up spending a day in bed with a headache!

2. Food
The club does basic breakfast and dinner, bring snacks! Pot noodles, microwaveable rice, chocolate and microwaveable popcorn are easy to pack and filling! They're also easy to keep stowed away in your bag!
Down there, the local garage sells frozen pizzas and such, but they don't last too long if left unattended in the freezer 😜 (remember this year we're sharing with UL!) Cereal bars are a life saver for the car journey back from the river, cup soups are nice and warm when you're waiting for a shower to be free!
If you have a thermos bring it, and invest in some dilute...hot juice on an ice cold river is heaven!

3. Money
There is always ATM issues in Glenbeigh, so bring cash with you! Don't expect the pubs to take card... If you are really stuck, you can offer to help with food shopping and get to an ATM in Kilorglin but it's better to be safe than sorry!

4. Paying
You don't have to pay until you arrive in Kerry, but please don't leave without paying Ailbhe C! The club has to pay for the hostel while we are there and can't afford to do so unless you all pay us! (Remember, Kerry is a trip 'facilitated' by the committee, not a club trip as such and so the committee don't want to spend their time chasing down money...they'd much rather be drinking...)
If you are a passenger ALWAYS offer petrol money, even if it's just down the road.  If the driver refuses, consider whether a pint would be appropriate, especially if they've been giving a few 'short runs'... :)

5. Tablets (not the computer type...)
Bring pain killers, antihistamines, multivitamins, strepsils! Your future self will love your past self when you have partied that bit too hard...also not a bad idea to start on those vitamins now, Lidl have a cheap range.  Partying, paddling and little sleep is the best fun, but not amazing on the body 😜

6. Movies!
If you have movies, bring them! The stupider the better...and remember, drink when you question the logic!

7. Cooking and cleaning
Again, committee are there to party too so please help out! If everyone chips in there's very little to be done...
We will be asking people to help out with food and wash up, but also with general stuff like cleaning the sitting room and mopping the kitchen floor...
It takes 10 minutes max and saves everyone big time at the end of the week!

8. PARTY!
Go mad, they're well used to us 😜

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 15:39:51 by Peter O'Sullivan »

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
Re: Merry Tips for a Merry Kerry (2015/16 edition) 🎅
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 00:03:26 »
Sort out your lifts before you get to Kerry, no point arriving in Kilarney at 10 in the evening wondering why no one will collect you.  Have a few phone numbers in case your lift/driver is un-contactable.

My river maps are here https://picasaweb.google.com/108250712605161593102/RiverMaps Save them before you get to Kerry. There will be little or no phone signal there, seriously not even enough reception for text messages. Also, back up your phone just in case.

Offline Poopy Dick

• Sass Officer 16/17 Drunkard of The Year 16/17
  • Do you know I went to Mexico?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 15:34:31 »
Bring runners/general walking/hiking gear. They'll defo be a day where hiking sounds much more inviting than paddling. Walks make for great photo opportunities too 😜

Lunchy stuff are essential. Cereal bars are great, especially if your gona do two rivers one day. I brought a slice pan and cheese & ham slices for sandwiches, went down a treat. Also fruit makes you feel a bit better about yourself with all the shite going down your gob.

Two sets of thermals. Your not really guaranteed gear drying fully so a wearing one set whole the other dries is ideal.

If someone asks you to come on a more difficult river, just go for it. It means they think you're competent enough 👍👍. If there's a certain rapid you're really not keen on doing you can always walk it (but always try push yourself 😜)

Also ye, always have a few bob for the driver for bringing you to and fro the river/shops

Offline Poopy Dick

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 15:43:10 »
Also sunglasses can hide how hungover you are in the morning 😜

Offline Poohy

• Captain 15/16 Varsities Committee 17/18
  • Committee 16/17
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 19:15:58 »
Keep yer stuff together!! Keep all your gear in your room and try keep yer rooms tidy.. You will be in charge of cleaning your own room!

Offline sara griffin

• Captain 16/17 Intervarsities Committee
  • Hey Kittycats... I have Lollipops!! AND ICE-CREAM!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 16:30:04 »
Glenbeigh has finally been graced with the presence of a fully functioning ATM. That I can testify to!!!!

Offline Poohy

• Captain 15/16 Varsities Committee 17/18
  • Committee 16/17
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 16:32:02 »
No way sara!!! :O thats class!!

Offline Vettie

• Secretary 15/16
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 17:02:48 »
Glenbeigh has finally been graced with the presence of a fully functioning ATM. That I can testify to!!!!

Dangerous words for all the livers out there!

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 17:41:21 »
I'd still be wary as I can imagine the powers that be will not have accounted for the influx of kayakers wanting to use it so it might run out of cash quickly!

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 14:48:17 »
Bring a waterproof jacket, it's going to rain lots. The more thermals the better. Also regarding paddling, don't be afraid to approach other college groups and ask to paddle with them, everyone does things differently and it's a great way to learn by paddling with new people. If you're really not sure if you're up to the river, ask a UCD head and we won't steer you wrong! Also, raid your parents drink cabinets and save money in the pub by necking a few cans or measures for prinks!

Offline Scabidas

• Can't Cycle
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Scabidas
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 12:10:07 »
This too

Offline Poopy Dick

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 15:17:22 »
Not sure how useful a tip this is... cause i havent done it yet :P but im going to bring an extension lead, more plugs the better :D

Offline Andru93

• Quippy 16/17
  • Committee 16/17
  • Former Chief Trailer Puller :)
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 18:03:36 »
Not sure how useful a tip this is... cause i havent done it yet :P but im going to bring an extension lead, more plugs the better :D

Trust me simon you can never have enough plugs :P