Author Topic: The Big Move  (Read 7267 times)

Offline Number 4

• Secretary 16/17
  • Committee 16/17
The Big Move
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:58:09 »
UCD Building Services informed us yesterday that the roof over the boathouse needs to be replaced immediately, and work will be starting on it in the next week or so. Unfortunately for us, this necessitates the removal of all of our gear and boats to storage containers, which will be provided under the water tower. With that in mind, we would politely, yet firmly, request that as many people as possible show up to the boathouse on Saturday the 25th of February to help us move everything. The situation is extremely unfortunate, but once we're three cans and a barbecue deep on the day, I'm sure it won't seem so bleak.
UCD Sport are providing the containers, which are much less secure than the boathouse, and as such, Suzanne has forbidden the storage of private gear in them. As such, will anyone who has their own boat in the boathouse please get in touch with committee ASAP? Much love and appreciation in advance of your cooperation,
Four

Offline Jacqui

• Treasurer 15/16 Biscuit Officer 17/18
  • Jacqui
Re: The Big Move
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:07:15 »
Sure look, nothing you can do ! I'll be around to help out in any way Ye need

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:09:33 »
I won't be there to help the 26th but I'll try get the karma home this weekend :) 

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:16:40 »
Any indication of how long we will be in the containers for? I'll pick up my gear this weekend after the trip.

Will this be in the place of a river trip, or before/after it?

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:23:18 »
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it on the 25th.

A few questions on the plan.
Are we seriously asking people to take their private boats home for 3 months? How will river trips run if we can only rely on club gear?
Will we be able to hang boats from the new roof?
Will the containers be shared with other clubs?
Also will there be power and running water in the containers?
Will the door of the existing boat house be fixed?

Offline Number 4

• Secretary 16/17
  • Committee 16/17
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:33:00 »
Thanks for landing me in the sharks there, Peter.
We expect to be in the containers for at least three months. There will not be electricity or running water in the containers. We will have containers to ourselves, we will simply share the plot of land with subaqua and windsurf, as we already do. I don't know how trips will run, it hasn't happened yet, and predicting the future isn't my forte. I will be speaking to building services about the door, and the projected strength of the new roof.

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 11:35:25 »
Replacing the whole roof on such shitty sheds seems rather pointless, they'd be better off knocking the whole thing and starting again! :-D

But anyway, I'll get my boat out asap and will be there as long as possible on the 25th but Munster polo is on so will have to head off at some point

Offline Number 4

• Secretary 16/17
  • Committee 16/17
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 11:46:35 »
Sure, thanks Diarmuid

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 11:53:16 »
We had two boathouse when I started......Better in my day

Chances are they've realised that that the roof is asbestos! Bluntly this should've been done when we were moved in the first place

Offline Number 4

• Secretary 16/17
  • Committee 16/17
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 11:54:43 »
Chances are they've realised that that the roof is asbestos! Bluntly this should've been done when we were moved in the first place
That was my first thought, Kieran! I feel a potential lawsuit coming on!

Offline DJ Evie

• PRO & Ents 16/17, 17/18
  • Committee 16/17
  • IN DA HOUSE
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 12:04:23 »
It's unfortunate but no asbestos is gonna be a big plus and we could maybe possibly ask get a lovely new door out of it too! I'll be around that day to help, we will make it a fun day!! February barbecues are the best kind!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Offline Douchier

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:33:17 »
Well hello,
I'm delighted to hear the roof is getting replaced. Encouraging a healthy lifestyle, free of any kind of toxin, has always been a top priority for the club.

It seems that I still have a boat (boats?) sitting in the boathouse.
There's a K1...and possibly an InaZone? I can't remember if I gave it away to someone/the club at some point - if someone is under the impression that they own it or the club wants it then that's fine by me, otherwise I'll take it out of your way.

Do you guys still have to collect paddles on Wednesday evening?
Is it ok if I pop by then? What time is that again?

Cheers,

Niall
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:53:35 by Douchier »

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 12:38:43 »
There's a K1...and possibly an InaZone? I can't remember if I gave it away to someone/the club at some point - if someone is under the impression that they own it or the club wants it then that's fine by me, otherwise I'll take it out of your way.

Do you guys still have to collect paddles on Wednesday evening?
Is it ok if I pop by then? What time is that again?

Wednesday around 20.40 is a good time to collect them. The K1 is still on the ceiling.

The black and red Inazone is on the right as you go in the door, low down under the paddles.

Offline Douchier

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 12:55:55 »
Sound, I'll pop by then.

Offline Scabidas

• Can't Cycle
  • Scabidas
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 18:34:00 »
Any update as to how likely this is happening on Saturday?