Author Topic: Lee Valley in the new year  (Read 12631 times)

Offline johnf95

• Training Officer 17/18 Captain 18/19
  • Committee 18/19
  • Paddles Optional
Lee Valley in the new year
« on: November 13, 2017, 19:22:40 »
Gonna do a quick trip to Lee Valley whitewater centre (where the olympic events were held in 2012.) in the new year. Two days paddling and one night in a hostel nearby somewhere would be a bitta craic. Ideal for anyone with a solid combat roll. (rolling in moving water.)  Anyone who reckons they could manage that is welcome to join. Boat rental is available at the centre for less than 20 pounds (i think) and it costs a tenner per hour on the course. There's also a fee for assessing whether you can run the courses or not. you can get a train from near the centre to/from stansted.

The flights I booked were 6.50 am on sat 13th and 19.40 pm on sun 14th. If anyone has questions give me a shout. Don't have all the details but sure we'll see how it goes.

Much love
John F x

Offline kmck

• "99"
Re: Lee Valley in the new year
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 19:34:06 »
https://www.gowhitewater.co.uk/canoeing-and-kayaking/membership-and-paddling-our-courses

You need to pass the legacy and the Olympic assessment before going on the courses and this has to be booked in advance of your day.

I'd talk to Matt Enright, John's older brother for more info.

I think it's a great idea but you'll need to sort the logistics out about test dates and if you can book onto a session afterwards.

My advice is to go to Cardiff, it's cheaper (£10 for the day not the hour), there's no test and it's easier to get accommodation at a reasonable rate compared to London, you could also get the ferry from Rosslare.

Twyrin is also an option with a ferry from Dublin just don't bring Peter as he causes it to snow.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 19:40:57 by kmck »

Offline Mark Hoare

• Quippy 17/18, member of the GALALADS
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 19:43:37 »
Another spot is HPP in Nottingham. The national whitewater park for brittan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Poopy Dick

• Sass Officer 16/17 Drunkard of The Year 16/17
  • Do you know I went to Mexico?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 20:05:47 »
My advice is to go to Cardiff, it's cheaper (£10 for the day not the hour), there's no test and it's easier to get accommodation at a reasonable rate compared to London, you could also get the ferry from Rosslare.
More descriptions here too
https://forum.ucdcanoeclub.com/index.php/topic,12352.0.html

Offline Andy J

• Equipment Officer 14/15
  • Cork boi!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 21:21:46 »
A plan that I want to put into action sometime is a weekend trip. Ferry over early Saturday Morning, Run the Dart loop. 30 minutes plus of grade 3+then a 10 minute hike back to the top. Book a hostel for the night and hit the slalom course for the Sunday then go home.

Dart loop obviously depends on rain, but apparently well worth it.

Offline johnf95

• Training Officer 17/18 Captain 18/19
  • Committee 18/19
  • Paddles Optional
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:36:01 »
Thanks for the advice, I’ve been to cardiff twice before so I want to try something different though. And Lee Valley isnt too hard to get to without a car either.

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 22:28:38 »
I was talking to Jayne on Friday about a possible trip to Cardiff over the Easter weekend. I said I would post up some details.

Here's the route

I suggested the van go. The ferry times are Rosslare to Fishguard Thursday 29th of March 18.10 arriving at 21.25. Then on the way back leaving Fishguard on Tuesday the 2nd at 13.10 arriving in Rosslare at 16.25. It would cost 322euro for the van and one passenger.

From talking to Trinity Dan it sounds like an ideal club trip. I haven't been to Cardiff, perhaps its more of a summer trip than an Easter weekend trip.

I'm probably to Fortwilliam that weekend to revisit the Orchy and the Etive. Anyway, this post is mainly to get the ball rolling on possible Easter weekend destination.

You might notice Bala in Wales is also a good option. I've been there a few times and the WW course there is more or less guaranteed water.

The bigger picture here might be the option to do a dry run abroad with the van with the possibility of doing an Alps trip with it!.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 22:32:08 by Peter O'Sullivan »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 00:27:27 »
Cardiff is awesome, it's cheap, £10 a day. I stayed at the YHA hostel which is like a hotel with bunk beds. You could leave boats on site. Talk to oldie Dave Byrne he is a level 3 instructor and this is where he trains for freestyle. Rosslare is the way to go as trying to cut across Wales is nuts the roads suck north south, your nearly better off driving all the way into England and then south.