Author Topic: First-Aid kits.  (Read 16070 times)

Offline Douchier

First-Aid kits.
« on: August 06, 2009, 15:02:15 »
Well seeing as it's REC3 season again, I think it's time to bring back an old topic:

Exactly what should the savvy and well-informed modern kayaker carry with them to for when they realise that their friend is missing an arm, about to pass-out and may not finish the trip? - or make it to the party!?!

What should you keep on your person and what in your boat?

Should your bag just have purely first-aid or should you throw in a bit of survival gear (matches, rubber tube, lionel richie tapes)

Perhaps one bag with just first aid and one with extra clothes, fire lighting things, a bit of food - for when you're really in the middle of nowhere, or decided to run away again but were smart emough to take the boat this time.

so....  thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 15:05:03 by Douchier »

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
Re: First-Aid kits.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 16:02:36 »
Duck Tape, because if you can't Duck it...

Offline Douchier

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 16:16:27 »
Ah yeah, I also hear that WD-40 is great for a broken leg.

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 17:24:13 »
Exactly what should the savvy and well-informed modern kayaker carry with them to for when they realise that their friend is missing an arm . . .

Clearly, you should bring a spare arm.

Jim.

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 17:40:06 »
Hmmm, cheap, witty comment out of the way, I did a search on the forum because I though this was covered as a topic before, but I don't see a list of what should be in a first aid kit anywhere. I remember this turned into a long discussion before, but the problem is that we have a lot of 'be prepared' boy scouts on here. The final list turned out to be a first aid rucksack, so nobody ever paid any attention.

It would be good to get a 'real' list of an actual road-tested first aid kit from a veteran globe-trotting kayaker. I've seen some ridiculously long lists (over the top stuff like a scissors, and a shears, and a knife..., that kind of thing).

Anyone have such a realistic list?

Jim.

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 17:57:03 »
Having a shears isn't really over the top, a paramedic shears can come in very handy especially with the tough materials used in kayaking.

Bandages should be in there, alcohol wipes, pen and paper, some tape, a few plasters. Just stuff to handle minor injuries. 

That's what I think should be in any kit so maybe there should be some more stuff that could be used for kayaking injuries?

Offline Douchier

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 18:06:33 »
*Note to self.. if I get injured around leighton, make sure it's just a broken nail*

Anyway, I was thinking more along the lines of...(in no order whatsoever)

gloves
marker
triangular bandages 2-3
wound dressings -various sizes
stretchy bandage things 2-3 various sizes
barrier device
plasters
melolin ( non stick wound pad)
duct tape
cling film
head torch
swabs
steri-strips
shears
irrigations syringe`
aide-de-memoir
moist towellette - preferably lavender scented
those things that are like giant band aids, that actually stick to your skin
sugar tablets
emergency blanket.
tweezers
sam splint

I'm sure I've missed something, or perhaps put in something that isn't thought to be necessary
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 18:08:14 by Douchier »

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 18:18:55 »
a paramedic shears can come in very handy

Totally agree. What I meant was that it is over-the-top to have all three (scissors, and shears, and knife) in the one first aid kid. That's the way the last thread on this issue went, (three cutting tools, as well as duct tape, electrical tape, AND pins, that kind of redundancy).

By the way, I think the thinking these days is that a paramedic shears is the best cutting tool to have in a first aid kit.

Jim.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 18:44:56 by Jim »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 18:20:21 »
Depends on how far from your car you are. A small first aid kit, like the ones in I-canoe are fine and contain most if not more than what you have listed. If you are going unsupported down the amazon you may need to rethink what you need. Most of the first aid I have seen used on the rivers has been of the cover that cut or imobilse that shoulder. Most have involved the descsion to walk off. In the end I think a barrier device, a pair of gloves, triangular bandage and shears will cover most of what you need to do on the bank.

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 22:59:16 »
Well I'm not veteran, globetrotting or medically trained so I try keep it common sense. Some handy stuff would be the likes

duck tape
tampons
shears
antiseptic wipes
energy gel (power gel tends to expolde so this stuff is pretty much more effective if not as much fun)
triangular bandages 
VENT AID
some other bit and bobs I can't think of right now.

Lots of people recommend a waterproof notebook and pen, seems smart but if I need to start monitoring people over extended periods of time I'm probably out of my depth anyway. Couple of ziploc bags and latex gloves seem like a good idea as well

SAM Splint would be nice if you needed it I suppose.

I'll have a look through my own to see if I actually practice what I preach, think I do?

Offline kill

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 23:30:21 »
On the sam-splint note, instead I carry a piece of unused carrymat in the back of my boat with my airbags. It can be held in place like a sam splint or just be of use as a barrier between the victim and the ground (seat).

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 18:38:06 »
Sanitary towels are meant to make great wound pads/emergency dressings.

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 15:40:59 »
piriton... if like me you are allergic to everything  :-\