Author Topic: A question of paddles  (Read 7387 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
A question of paddles
« on: April 07, 2004, 11:24:09 »
Okay I am begining a search for a good strong paddle
Now what lenght should the shaft be? What is the best feather?
I am right handed should I get it squezed for grip?
Then what type buy Irish and go roughstuff or look at the other types out there.
Any constructive info will be appreciated. :lol:

Offline cormac

A question of paddles
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 11:41:39 »
Myself, JK, Cat and Kate sat through an interminably long hour of gear talk recently...

Paddles:  Length is a personal thing, try out a few.  Short is good for accelaration and tighter rivers, long is good for speed.  Most paddles nowadays are 45 degree feather which is nice and comfortable and once you switch you will never look back.  The grips are pre-squashed.

Roughstuff are excellent, so are Robson.   Roughstuff can replace their looms when they break - other manufacturers can't so you wind up buying a whole new paddle.

You will be told in the shop all about carbon blades, FPM blades, Twintex blades, polyglass blades, etc.  Thing is the blades rarely break - it's the loom that snaps.  Polyglass blades are ok, but not the strongest - FPM or Twintex are good.  Carbon are expensive and you will break the loom first anyway.

Blade shape is your next thing - again try a few and see what you like.  Too big a blade for you will cause you to strain/injure yourself - too small will be ineffective.  The Stud is an example of a big blade the Pogo is an example of a small one.

Offline Jim

A question of paddles
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 15:58:45 »
I have to admit to being completely biased towards RoughStuff, and haven't used any other paddle in years, so I really can't comment on Robson or whatever.

If you are concerned about grip, lengths, and feather, then you could do worse that head out to RoughStuff in Palmerston and they'll make them up for you whatever way you like. It's also fun to see your paddles being made up right there and then, except if Mrs. Corkery shows up at the same time. Mark Downey is (rightly) scared of her, and will run away and hide and you'll be left standing there with a half-finished paddle in your hands.

Mine are finished with that metallic car paint that looks one colour from one angle and a different colour from a different angle. The effect is mesmerising, particularly on the water when the film of water adds another dimension to the experience. It's cheaper than drugs and is the real reason I appear to be drifting not paddling over stuff. And, as I have mentioned before, the chicks go wild for it.

Jim.

Offline ash

A question of paddles
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 20:59:10 »
Oi Kennedy,
You're going the right way for another Celebrity Death Match....Didn't ya have enough the first time?
First you slag my Ma.
Secondly you call her Mrs Corkery. If she heard you saying that you'd be toast.
Will someone kindly let him know what my Mom's name is before he gets himself hurt?

But Celebrity Death Match is sooo last year, I could inform everone of an interesting little fact I read in the Sunday Independent about what Kennedy actually means........

So do y'all wanna know or will I give him a second chance?

Offline Brendino

• People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durdan
A question of paddles
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 23:20:23 »
Doesn't it mean Ugly Head? as Gaeilge?
How Appropriate.

Offline ash

A question of paddles
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 19:02:13 »
That's right  :wink:

But God damn it Brendino last time I checked neither Brendan nor Dempsey meant Big Mouth as Gaeilge. Now I gotta go think of another way to get Kennedy's lily ass.

Hmmm...

Hey Kennedy,
Yo Mama's so ugly she looked out the window and got arrested for mooning.

Offline Brendino

• People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durdan
A question of paddles
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 09:46:16 »
Tá brón an domhain orm a Aisling. Ach, ná bach, beigh sé ceart go leor ar maidin.

Slán.

Aithniann Ciaróg Ciaróg eile.

Offline Eoin

A question of paddles
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 13:59:07 »
- Ná bac.... there's no 'h' at the end.

-aithníonn.... incorrect spelling above.

Brendino, write each of these words out thirty times and have it on my desk at 9 tomorrow morning. Sharp.

Offline Cheesy

A question of paddles
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 17:37:05 »
Quote from: "ash"
Will someone kindly let him know what my Mom's name is before he gets himself hurt?

Oh my god!!!!!
did you just say
Mom
!!!!!!!!!!!!!