Author Topic: Kayak surfing  (Read 12231 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
Kayak surfing
« on: November 08, 2006, 16:21:39 »
kayak & paddle surf safety
This is a rather extensive list of rules and information on kayak surfing, this site is good for both rules and technique http://www.bcusurf.org.uk/etiquette.htmPADDLE SURF SAFETY RULES

Be able to swim in surf. Swimming ability and water confidence should be of a good elementary standard.

Wear a buoyancy aid in surf. Always wear a buoyancy aid in a kayak.

Wear a buoyancy aid or leash on a ski. Novice ski paddlers should always wear a buoyancy aid as well as a ski leash.

Never paddle surf alone or under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.

Always wear a crash hat in surf. This applies to both kayak and ski.

Never deliberately Drop - in. The surfer nearest the shoulder has right of way.

Don't surf if you have a medical condition. Check with your doctor first.
PADDLE SURF PERSONAL SAFETY

Never over estimate your ability. If the surf is too big don't go out.

Observe the conditions and check your equipment.

Do not surf close to swimmers. To avoid a collision capsize to stop.

Check with locals and/or lifeguards. Let someone know that you are going surfing.

Do not enter the water when dusk is approaching.

Learn to rescue and be rescued. Everyone who surfs should learn these procedures.

Learn to Eskimo roll. Self-rescue is the best rescue.

Raise you paddle to attract attention if in difficulties in surf.

Keep on seaward side of capsized craft.

PADDLE SURF BEACH SAFETY

Note the type of break. Beach break, Sandbar break, Reef break or Point break.

Be aware of rips. A rip provides an easy way out if in your craft but to a swimmer it can be dangerous.

If caught swimming in a rip current do not persevere with swimming directly to shore. Instead swim parallel to shore until out of the rip and then head shoreward.

Be aware of long shore drift. Be aware of undertow.

Note the tide and the effects it can have on the break.

Reef break at low tide, Sandbar break at mid tide or beach break at full tide.

Be aware of shore dumps.

Be aware of surfing areas and flag system (black and white chequered).

Avoid exposed rocks. Stay away from reef breaks that are close to exposed rocks.

Observe the waves and where they are breaking and dumping.

Observe the sets. Note their size, frequency and number of waves.

Be aware of weather forecast and strong offshore winds especially if tide is ebbing.

PADDLE SURF ETIQUETTE

Remember the surfer nearest the shoulder has priority on the wave and must not be inhibited or interfered with.

Paddlers should allow some waves through for board surfers who have to wait inside to take off.

Learn to surf correctly and to control your craft. If you are in control you can avoid collisions.

Incoming surfers have right of way. It is up to the outgoing paddler to take evasive action, capsizing if necessary. Paddle around the breakline to get outside.

Don't take off if the way is not clear even if you have "right of way" especially if it would endanger others.

Don't casually surf in a competition area. Better still enter it and allow your surfing ability to grow.

Inexperienced paddle surfers should keep away from crowded breaks. Go to a quieter section of the beach to practise your surfing skills.

For an introduction of kayak surfing try:
http://kayak.csn.ul.ie/aboutkayak/surf.php

With regards to surf etiquette, this comes from the Irsih Surfing Association, the rules transfer across to kayaks easily enough:

Introduction
Sixty-two lives were lost to accidental drownings last year in Ireland.  Tragically the majority of these accidents were avoidable. An analysis of the statistics reveals that the critical factors are complacency and indeed the lack of awareness of the dangers presented by water.  The Irish Surfing Community has been fortunate in this respect and has never had to cope with such tragedy. However with the increasing numbers taking up the sport it is only a matter of time.  Surfing is an adventure sport with an inherent element of risk. However  this risk can be reduced if the basic safety rules and etiquette are adhered to by all.  Every surfers should be familiar with and abide by the safety rules and etiquette before heading out into the “lineup”. These are well- established rules throughout the world that bring safety and order to what would otherwise be a dangerous and chaotic sport.

Safe Surfing and Etiquette
If you are planning to start surfing your first step should be to take a surfing lesson at an Irish Surfing Approved Surf Club, School or Adventure Centre. Here you will be introduced to the sport in a safe environment, you will be given all the information, advice and basic skills required to get started. Your progress will be much quicker, the experience more enjoyable and you will be more likely to reach your full potential as a surfer if you take this route into the sport.  This may seem like common sense but as with all watersports you should only surf if you can swim and you should never surf alone. Learn to observe the ocean so you can identify rips, wind changes and other hazards. This will reduce the risk and will help you become a better surfer. If you are unfamiliar with a break check with local surfers. Ensure that the waves you are surfing are of a size and power suitable to your ability. Do not get too confident.  Stick to beaches until you become an experienced surfer. A novice paddling out at a reef is not only a danger to themselves but to all the other surf users around them. Make sure your equipment, especially your leash, is in good order. If you are a novice you may want to consider using a foam board for your own safety and the safety of others. Other safety equipment such as helmets and nose guards are available. It is much easier to spot a brightly colored wetsuit or surfboard at sea in the event of you requiring rescuing.  If you do find yourself in difficulty it is important to stay calm and always stay with your board. Your board will act as a flotation device. If you get caught in a rip do not try to paddle against it, this will only tire you out and get you nowhere. Paddle across the rip and you will quickly find yourself out of difficulty. When you “wipe out” do not come to the surface too soon, allow your board time to land and come to the surface with your hands over your head. When paddling out, always check behind you before abandoning your board. Never “drop in” on another surfer. “Dropping in” is taking off on a wave in front of someone who has right of way. The surfer nearest the peak or breaking part of the wave has priority or right of way. When two surfers catch the same wave the surfer closest to the pocket or breaking part of the wave, has priority so the other surfer should pull off the wave. A surfer riding a wave has priority over a surfer paddling out. It is the responsibility of the surfer paddling out to avoid a collision. When paddling back out you must never obstruct someone else who is up and riding. Either paddle wide of the wave breaking area or into the white water. This allows the surfer who is up and riding to continue without having to dodge you. Be aware of other water users and always show respect for other surfers regardless of kraft (kayaks, bodyboards, bodysurfers and all other surfers). Above all, keep a good attitude. Be friendly in the water. Apologize if you make a mistake.
(See Illustration at Back of Leaflet)

Important
A surfer riding a wave has priority over a surfer paddling out. It is the responsibility of the surfer paddling out to avoid a collision. When paddling back out you must never obstruct someone else who is up and riding. Either paddle wide of the wave breaking area or into the white water. This allows the surfer who is up and riding to continue without having to dodge you. (However if the situation arises where a collision is inevitable the surfer riding the wave has the maneuverability to avoid the collision. There is no justification for running over another surfer.)
(See Illustration at Back of Leaflet)

Access Problems
In Ireland surfers depend on the good will of landowners and local residents to access many of the spots we surf on a regular basis. Please respect our access and show respect to landowners and local residence. Do not park where you are blocking gates, roadways, residences etc. Do not damage fences or leave gates open. If you are unfamiliar with a break check with local surfers regarding access. If you see other surfers jeopardizing access bring the matter to their attention. Please take your litter home.

Surfer’s Ear
Anybody surfing in Ireland should wear ear plugs to prevent “Surfers Ear” or “Diffuse Exostosis”, this is a bone growth in the ear canel caused by long-term exposure to cold water temperatures. It eventually blocks the ear canel reducing hearing, causing continuous ear infections and other problems

Download it here:

http://www.iws.ie/events/WATER%20SAFETY%20WEEK%202003/Safe%20Surfing%20Doc.pdf

http://www.iws.ie/events/WATER%20SAFETY%20WEEK%202003/Safe%20SurfingBlackandWhite.pdf
http://www.bcusurf.org.uk/etiquette.htm

Offline kill

Re: Kayak surfing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 16:08:47 »
Important things to note:

Paddling in the moonlight is fun. Give it a try.

If it looks as though the cliffs are moving further and further away from you, good. Rocks can be dangerous.

Swimming is for losers. Never learn how to swim. Remember, if you can't swim, you won't swim.

Never paddle under the influence of illegal drugs. Alcohol is legal.

Be careful of shore dumps. They stink.

If you find you need to improve your control there's a handy game you can play. Swimmers are worth 10 points and surfers are worth 20.

Never paddle-surf alone. If you're going to get into a dangerous situation, you damn well better make sure to bring someone else down with you.

Always let someone know you're going surfing... just in case standing on the beach in a wetsuit with a surf-board under your arm doesn't give it away.

Offline Lucy

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 22:36:31 »
Wow, i actually cried laughinig reading your witty comments kill, good work, hadn't laughed in a while, my bedroom wall isn't that funny... :D

Offline kill

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 13:29:26 »
Hey, by the way, Pia and I thought of a new name for you.

As we were going through the alphabet on one of our hot dates, Pia comes out with

"Lu-B Lu-C"

Think about it.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 14:29:35 »
you mean the girl whos scoring killian........ at the moment, right?

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 14:53:50 »
i think thats the one alright dave i was sure her name was plam though???? ???

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 15:04:24 »
meh.... a little bit of column A... little bit of coulmn B

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 15:10:14 »
Killian's first post is the traditional we going to be as obnoxious on the water as possible post. There are many fine examples of these over the years. Lucy is clearly missing us greatly that she finds that funny. The rest?I thought this was for paddling related crap? Is it just going to be like the rest? Why have a seperate section at all? After I went to all the trouble of copying and pasting some my old posts and Gregs and finding a new site, man I will never get those three minutes back.

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 15:14:01 »
SHUT UP DIARMAID!

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 16:40:06 »
Keep that for the slogan thread :D

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 18:58:59 »
I totally give my blessing for that to be the slogan.

Offline Lucy

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 19:21:39 »
Yeah, i thought it was a witty comment. Thanks pia, just when i thought the nick names had stopped developing...way-to-go! I'd love to know how it actually did come up... seriously... u were going through the alphabet and u decided to start replacinig the end of my name with various letters??? ??? je suis puzzled.

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 12:09:18 »
ooh, how about loogie?

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 12:19:34 »
SHUT UP DIARMAID >:(

Offline Lucy