Author Topic: Paddles for a refresher  (Read 9736 times)

Offline Una

Paddles for a refresher
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:38:48 »
Morning all,

I came in for a bit of a windfall last week and want to spend it on a set of paddles.  Any words of wisdom of what I should get, look out for, ask about etc.?  I will just need them for river running, not surfing (got my board for that) or play boating (cause that's way beyond my abilities right now).  Something that will keep me upright and not too long cause I'm little.

Cheers
Únaxxx

Offline kmck

• "99"
Re: Paddles for a refresher
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 10:43:12 »
Blade face, you want a blade face that is not too powerful, I would suggest either a tempest or a werner Amigo. Short shaft about 190-192 witha 45 degree feather. Lower if your wrists get at you.

Offline david

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:12:13 »
Make sure you get a rounded socket on yours. I didn't and i'm still stuck with them >:(

Offline Una

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:26:50 »
Cheers Dave & KmcK.

Excuse my ignorance...but what's / where's a socket on a paddle?  Why should it be rounded?  What's the alternative?  I haven't a notion!

Úx

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 16:05:56 »
If they're in good nick, the blades tom is selling are a good price. Otherwise Something predictable and not overpowering like Rough Stuff's Tempests, Werner's Sherpa, Robson Greens are all good blades designed for river running, Tempests probably the strongest of the lot powerwise. Go for something common ( like 45degrees) on the feather (it makes them easier to sell should you change your mind) and 194cm - 196cm would probably be a nice length if you're looking at a little bit of everything. This is purely opinion, best way to find out what suits is to borrow and try different blades and ask more experienced paddlers what they reckon  when you're paddling.

P.S. I love my Kinetics and I know Mark does an 80% cut down version, works quite well... ::)

Offline Sick Boy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 19:23:15 »
yah dave, what are rounded sockets?

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 09:13:51 »
Actually I would like to know that as well?

Offline david

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 15:36:23 »
The bit between the blade and the shaft. needs to be rounded so it can flex.

• Marq's Nemesis
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 15:51:41 »
Non-issue really dave as most oval shafts would crack during assembly as the spigot is inserted. If this works out ninety nine pecent of the time the glass shaft (Carbon has it's own issues) will have plenty of flex to absorb any impacts. However if you do have a problem with this you can bring it back as a warranty issue due to it being a manufacturing defect that should have been noticed during assembly. Robson and Werner can't suffer from this due to the way they're constructed.

Cheers for clearing that up dave because I was a bit confused as to what you meant.

Conor

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 16:21:29 »
rounded socket....dave your an idiot

Offline david

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 17:46:59 »
Non-issue really dave as most oval shafts would crack during assembly as the spigot is inserted. If this works out ninety nine pecent of the time the glass shaft (Carbon has it's own issues) will have plenty of flex to absorb any impacts. However if you do have a problem with this you can bring it back as a warranty issue due to it being a manufacturing defect that should have been noticed during assembly. Robson and Werner can't suffer from this due to the way they're constructed.

Cheers for clearing that up dave because I was a bit confused as to what you meant.

Conor

Yeah, whatever monkey boy,

Una, just be sure and ask for rounded sockets on your paddles.

• Marq's Nemesis
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 21:17:49 »
Dave - you're an idiot...

Offline david

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 08:39:36 »
Non-issue really kyle, you'r the idiot....  ;D

• Marq's Nemesis
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 10:20:27 »
Hey dum-dum, let's not go picking on fresher's here, as captain I thought you were meant to help and support these new club members, besides, Kyle seems like a nice enough guy 8)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:26:58 by Monkey Loving Bob »

Offline Una

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 11:10:40 »
Right lads, thanks for the advice.
1. Look for rounded sockets
2. check length
3. don't get too powerful blades
4. Borrow blades in Kerry and give them a go...you have all been warned! 

Hope y'all had a good night last night.
Únaxxx