Author Topic: Paddles for a refresher  (Read 8730 times)

Offline Mark

Re: Paddles for a refresher
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 16:46:07 »
Ask teh people you borrow them off if they have "rounded sockets aswell".

I'm sure they'll know exactly what you're talking about. Honest!

Offline Galwayhead

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 15:14:31 »
Ive had a set of Robson Pogos for 2 and a half years now. Im really happy with em. Ive a 45 degree ish feather which is grand for rivers but not too good for balancing on the bow, jus gettin the hang of it wit mates' blades.
Try not to get a wider offset or your wrists will get at you, below 20 and you're headin for the angle many playboaters use.
The length will depend on a couple of factors, longer means you have more reach for boofin over stuff and have longer more powerful strokes. Shorter means you can make the transition from side to side quicker and build up speed with shorter faster strokes, more useful for playboating.
Cranked shafts is a possibility. Some people like em some dont. Im not too keen on em but i havent used em much.
A major influence is your personal build. Taller people with fairly broad shoulders use longer blades.
Blade size: tempests, kinetics, pogos, greens, werners.
I used a set of robson studs, slightly bigger blade, on the boyne with your gang a month r 2 ago and my wrists were sore after.
So u may want to avoid big ones like chillies, oracles, studs. (anyone want to start a debate on H2Os or Ty Warps? Colm will fix em quickly + efficiently but he gets a fair few of these jobs)
Material depends on how much u wanna spend carbon, glass r wotever i dont know much bout these. Carbons stronger rite?

Could someone explain this socket thingy?

Offline Bill

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 11:42:56 »
Good God Una DON'T even mention rounded sockets or they will think you are mad!

Offline david

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 13:57:35 »

Could someone explain this socket thingy?

It's simple: Rounded Sockets = greater flex.

Be sure you don't go greater than 4.9 though. that's just too much flex.

Oh Una, Ignore bill, They won't think your mad, just an informed buyer. :D

Offline Bill

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 15:20:51 »
OH they won't say it to your face. They'll be totally professional and the they won't let on they think you are mad. But the minute you leave the shop they will be falling around the shop with the laughter and saying things like "Did you hear that mad one........sockets.....HAHAHAHA........She wanted rounded sockets....HAHAHAHAHA" That's why Dave thinks it's a legitimate question. You should ask about him in some of the shops. They love to see him come in the door. They think he's hilarious