Author Topic: Trips away  (Read 5426 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
Trips away
« on: December 04, 2006, 09:59:20 »
Most, if not all of you have seen the Alps pictures and heard about how great those trips where. If you are thinking of going away to paddle this summer now is the time to start planning. I won't be able to go anywhere as I am getting dental work done and can't afford to. You will need( if you are a fresher second year or whatever) Trip leaders = people who can lead trips down rivers. Drivers = people who can rent and drive cars abroad. Punters = paddlers and hanger ons who make the holiday what it is. Most importantly you need one or two people who are willing to deal with campsites and general organisation. Over the next few weeks and over kerry, ask everyone who went abroad how they did it. They will also give you advice on what not to do. If you want to get the most out of your holiday the trips after christmas with the club are ideal to push up your paddling standard to at least grade 3. Remember that level 3 is just a piece of paper; so it is time on the water that counts.

Offline Lorcan

Re: Trips away
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:03:36 »
Just on that point. It may be a good idea for the committe to organise a few talks on previous trips carried out by club members and non club members. Not specifically on where they went but the whole trip. From the planning to the execution covering off any pitfalls or traps that are out there.

I know Brian Keogh might be availible to give a talk he is just back after organising a trip to nepal.
If the committe could look into this it might fill up some cold february evenings.

Lorcan

Offline kmck

• "99"
Re: Trips away
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 16:37:08 »
Considering he now is actively looking for business now would be a good time to ask him or others where to go. About 18-19 weeks till June which is about 30 days paddling before you go. Those who are interested should try to get together and start planning now. Indecision maybe the key to flexibilty but good planning before hand makes up for flaffing that you will do.