Author Topic: Airlines, boats and paddles  (Read 7126 times)

Offline bexifurr

Airlines, boats and paddles
« on: March 23, 2007, 17:14:52 »
Hey guys,

Anyone have any up-to-date information on what Aerfungus are charging for boats and paddles? When I was coming home from Uganda in January they had the audacity to charge me thirty euro for my fucking paddles. And then made a huge fuss about sending them all over the gaf for security checks - just in case, you know?

So, question is if you pay to take on a kayak, are you gonna have to pay to take on your paddle too?

Offline Dave B

Re: Airlines, boats and paddles
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 19:54:59 »
yeah they'll charge you for both as they're separate items of luggage, sucks!

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 21:30:44 »
If you're bagging both, duct tape 'em to the side loosley. Might work, worked going to france last year.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 17:30:20 »
yeah but then your paddles could get thrashed..ever seen how they treat boats!!!

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 17:39:12 »
If there are a few of you a paddle bag with some bubble wrap. Share the cost.

Offline kill

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 11:20:43 »
KmcK has the answer.
I just said that I had been told over the phone that I'd only have to pay for one (which I was) and made a nuisance of myself until that was they caved in. When I only had to pay for one, I then paid for the journey home aswell (this was unnecessary as I had no paddles returning) and I got the Ugandan guy at Entebbe to transfer the boat all the way to Dublin so I avoided all charges that way. Just a few ways of getting around the charges for everyone.

Offline bexifurr

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 23:03:42 »
Cool, so the trick is... to break your paddles in Uganda so that you save on flying them home! Deadly!

Thanks for hints and tips guys,
later

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 00:22:58 »
get splits and wear them down your pants.

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 23:31:40 »
When I flew I went Shannon to London with Aerlingus and Emirates the rest on the way.

In Shannon airport, I gave aerlingus 30 euro to check in my 2 paddles and boat all the way. They dont mind because its another airline taking the weight. Basically most airlines have no problem checking in over weight objects onto another airline's flight.

I was supposed to pay on the way back, but the Emirates messed up my flights so much ( I gave them shit for what they did) they took everything without extra charge.

Peter