Author Topic: Uganda info  (Read 18326 times)

Jevon

Uganda info
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:42:00 »
So, pretty much everybody in the club has told me what to do in Uganda, but I can't say I was always listening... or sober.

I would be much obliged to all of you if would be so kind as to PM me and share your wisdom in writing, so I can actually remember some of the places and people that are recommended. 

Tanks a million

Offline bexifurr

Re: Uganda info
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 12:47:03 »
Check out the other topics posted.

Jevon

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 13:12:33 »
I know about the malaria and have had my share of diarrhea...  My question is more about where to stay, i.e.  which campsites in what towns, who are the best guides, what are the best rapids that are still open, who makes the best tropical drinks (that aren't filled with tropical diseases), what is the best meal, who are the cheapest hookers? You know... the insider details...

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 13:12:37 »
Jevon- a word of advice
Don't sleep with ugandan hookers-since about 83% of ugandan women have aids i would say its a pretty bad idea
Don't use ugandan condoms- they are the latest in condom speedhole technology i.e. THEY DON'T WORK!
Check out silverback for us and see if its turned into the deathpit it was becoming when we left- if it has- don't paddle it. Sadly total gunga-one of the best rapids on that stretch is now nothing more than a couple of waves (sob). Following rapids are fun:
ribcage: don't go into the pourover (that was a painful swim)
50/50 (that was a more fun swim)
Buboga
all of the day two section (i swam down that entire stretch- ahhh memories!)
The following rapids will probably kill you (since you've only been paddling about 2 months!):
Hypoxia
silverback
itanda
the dead dutchman (for obvious reasons)

Enjoy!

Offline bexifurr

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 18:51:52 »
Probably also wanna avoid anything that's not on the commercially rafted run.

Also, there is an outbreak of Ebola in Uganda at the moment, 58 people infected. Might be an idea to check the WHO for update on disease outbreaks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 20:32:48 by bexifurr »

Offline johnnyg

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:12:33 »
...jesus christ...I recently read a book about ebola and it's victims...can't remember what the hell it was called though....Sounds like the worst thing you could ever get.... :o  Nothing pretty about that disease... :'(

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 13:52:15 »
Probably also wanna avoid anything that's not on the commercially rafted run.

Also, there is an outbreak of Ebola in Uganda at the moment, 58 people infected. Might be an idea to check the WHO for update on disease outbreaks.

yeah, Roger Daltrey is one of the world's experts.

Offline SafeDee

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:47:21 »
i think the most important thing to come to terms with before you go jevon is that your going to get beatings that you cant compare to anything on irish rivers...like getting sucked under boils and eddie lines....and no matter what anyone tells you there are rocks, make sure you get a proper buoyancy aid

Offline Ritchie

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 14:53:15 »
i didn't really want to post here because i think most people are tired of hearing the same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old, same old(you get the point)......  stories about uganda.

But if you are really dying to know just exactly what its going to be like, and you watch just one video, watch this one>>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B2-bFCNq-w&eurl=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=766395327

enjoy.

rich

Jevon

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 15:15:50 »
YAYAYAY!!!!!  Ican't wait I can't I can't wait!

Thanks ritchie,  I needed that!

Jevon

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 18:17:52 »
so who was it that told me Uganda was cheap?!?  Kayak the Nile is asking for 60 pounds ($120) for one day of kayaking!!!!  After the first day, it is a mere 45 pounds ($90) per day... They are proud that this includes lunch and accommodation, but according to Dave B. camping at Nile River Explorers costs $3, and lunch is worth like 50 cents...  How important is it for me to take these lessons?  Are there other good local, cheaper guides that can show me the river for Ugandan prices? 

oh yeah, and does anybody have a lonely planet for that area that I could borrow?? 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 18:31:30 by Jevon »

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 00:41:47 »
I am now opening a book on this guy's survival chances!!
All bets considered...  ....including...

drowning
death by other means
contacting one ( or more of the following ) AIDS/HIV, other STI, malaria, dengue-fever,
Losing boat/paddles

Peter

Offline Douchier

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 12:06:23 »
Kidnapping perhaps?

Jevon

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 12:37:29 »
yeah... so I'm gonna go with Bex's point and do my darndest to stay away from the Ebola...

Offline Douchier

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 12:50:32 »
Oh, speaking of ebola, how about bets on what part of Jevon's body starts leaking blood first?

Say hello to my little friend...