Author Topic: so  (Read 13154 times)

Offline Sick Boy

so
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:02:46 »
it looks to me like the club alps is off the cards. i know that there are a few people interested in getting some good boating done this summer, myself included. im looking in to going to uganda for a few weeks over the hollidays.

i know it is far from origonal but by all reports it is still a great trip. i also know that the day 2 section no longer exists as a good paddling spot but there is more over there than that. talking to ritchi and simon about they say it shoulfs still be a savage place to go boating. there is still the day 1 section and nile special. also from the reports i have heard there are more sections of the river due to be changed and the dam works continue so this might be the lsat chance to get to do some of this stuff.

im thinking about heading over for the last week in june/ first week or two in july. i have nothing organised but there is w wealth of knowledge about the trip from the groups that have gone over the last two years and i plan to tap in to that.

i am not offering to lead a trip over there or anything of the sort. im still a beginner in that regard. so fresheres probably wont be being invited. that said i cant stop anyone going over.

so there it is. are you interested?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:10:20 by cian »

Offline JODY

Re: so
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:50:02 »
I'd love to get paddling somewhere this summer for a couple of weeks.

To be honest the idea of Uganda completely terrifies me for some reason, but i guess if theres still some good paddling over there its worth facing it. I was bitter as hell i couldn't go last year, so i'd probably be up for it. (adding the probably just incase alps does go ahead)

Offline Sara

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:58:35 »
would you consider talking to  Keoghser, he's always keep to take people out and he might do a week in the alpes with 5 or 6 peops.

Sara

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 16:37:04 »
Why aren't people going to the alps? I've been talking to loads of people about it so far and there's definitely enough people interested to make up a trip. Whoever is interested should just stick their names down here and the dates they are free so we can get this show on the road!

I want to go to the french alps and since i don't yet have a job i should be able to go at any stage before August

Cian are you sure its day two thats gone? Cos when we left last year it was day one that had been affected by the dam building and not day two. Just asking

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 17:50:25 »
I'm Interested in paddling some big stuff this summer and should be free most the summer (SO far..depending on business). I'm deffo in for the Alps, Uganda... more than likely if the Alps doesn't go ahead.

Offline Towelyey

• Boobs Officer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 17:56:11 »
drinking committe in the alps - come on paddlers we cant go without you :(

Offline Lucy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 17:59:53 »
ALPS ALPS ALPS. Lets go!

Offline bexifurr

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 19:07:09 »
I'd recommend Uganda. It's great fun, the water is warm, you can improve greatly your river running and playboating, the parties are great, the water is warm and malaria doesn't exist.

Even a short trip is very worthwhile, You don't really need to worry about Africa time when Nile Special is just a short paddle from your private beach. You can certainly get a lot of paddling done in two weeks, don't mind Pessimistic Hinchy! It all depends on how much weed you smoke and beer you drink.

It is expensive to get there, but you if you have your own boating gear and a tent, the living is very cheap.

It is accessible to less-experienced paddlers, but you might want to find someone to lead you down the river a few times, or all the times depending on your standard - you can easily do some networking in the bar at the Hairy Lemon or NRE. Most other paddlers there are college club types and you'll figure out fairly quickly who you'd be comfortable paddling with.

The other wave downstream of Nile Special that Siobhan mentioned is Malalu, a pretty big wave and a long paddle,  but probably worth it, considering the water levels are likely to be higher than the last time I was at Malalu.

There's lots of touristy things to do in and about Uganda, and the other folk you'll meet are stellar craic.

The warm water really makes learning to playboat easier. Really. It's like, wow.

There's a billion different ways you can get there, going through various airports. Ask about for people's experiences. Brussels airlines have a great record with kayaks if you're flying through London.

The weather is never melt into a puddle of sweat hot, just really warm and sunny most of the time with spectacular rainstorms every now and then.

Travel insurance is absolutely necessary. *Cough* Paddy 'I broke my arm in three places climbing uo the inside of a roof' McGovern *cough*.

Bad points - cost of flights, cost of injections, malaria, very basic living, huge party scene at NRE can be too much some times, long way from home if things go wrong.

Go on, because you're worth it.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:40 »
Eh bex, I wouldn't class any of the paddling in uganda as river running, it's more falling down big short rapids with no line as such, just a spot to stay away from. Cian ya gota decide what you want to improve on, if it's freestyle-general paddling-and building confidence- then uganda is a great spot. If you want river running go to the alps with someone like Keogh- jus like sara said, rob coffrey also runs courses out there- it would prob be cheaper than uganda and your paddling your improve more from the coaching. Either way sounds like you'll get some wicked boating done this summer

Offline Ritchie

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 10:38:41 »
i'm solid on heading back to the big white next christmas for a 3week trip(its cheaper then!!)... you're welcome to join the band waggon cian

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 17:45:40 »
You should organised a solid drinking trip!!!! Then some paddlers will jump in on it and when you guys paddle drink, we'll paddle

Ahh the awl switch-a-roo

Offline david

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 17:08:26 »
Don't even think about it Ruth!

You really wouldn't like a drinking holiday in a climbing campsite.

Why don't you all just go to a beach in the south of spain for a week and drink there??

Or even just go to diarmuids house for a week?

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 19:38:30 »
No! I think the drinking committee should come to the alps-that way us kayakers can get our rivers done during the day then come home to a hot meal and a party!!

Everyone's a winner!

Offline Towelyey

• Boobs Officer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 19:55:34 »
im with pia!! and you never know we might even get in a boat ha ha ha no no no no might look at the rivers - do some car drops - throw some ropes :) we're very good to have around :)

Offline meabh

• towel and tortilla on a world wide adventure
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 23:04:02 »
Hey cian, its not day 2 thats gone its day 1 (from silverback/ugly sisters up.)

my 2 cents: unless you want to playboat hard I'd do a course in the alps.