Author Topic: Playboat  (Read 4264 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
Playboat
« on: March 12, 2008, 15:25:30 »
Okay, kinda bored of having to take the mamba down the liffey/boyne and lack of a boat for surfing. So looking for advice as to what type of playboat to get? I am heavy about 90kg maybe a little more. I am short only have a 29inch inside seam, so I can fit in a small boat but will sink it. I can fit in pia's boat for example. Looking at a 4fun, zg 54,  project, rad. I want opions of the boats or if there are others I should look into? Or maybe buy a surf boat? Since these topics generally go off track, pm if you want.

Offline Ritchie

Re: Playboat
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 15:38:50 »
are you really in the market kmck, or are you just really bored??

either way here are my answers:
top boat......a JACKSON FUN, i personally havent tried but anything of heard has been savage remarks.
a surf boat... unless you live or head west every wknd there's no point

other boats to look at: GuiGui-Prod, outstanding boat but its fibre construct may not be suitable for irish rivers.(i'd still buy it though!!!)

for other reviews check playak out:
http://playak.com/kayaks.php?years%5B%5D=2008

Offline slapper

• http://NewZealand05.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 16:10:40 »
i really like the RAD 185 (the middle size). I'm just shy of 90kg (have been heavier while paddling the RAd and had trouble). I've used it as a river runner, a playboat and a surf boat. Loved it the whole time.
It's got good leg room and is actually kinda comfortabel for a playboat. Give me a shout if you want to try it out at some stage.

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 17:43:05 »
I'd go for the 4fun. I know i always rave about the fun but it really is an AMAZING boat! I've never heard a bad word about it. It's so easy to roll and even though i can't do much fancy playboating stuff yet the stuff i've tried so far has been pretty easy in the fun

Offline Sick Boy

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 22:51:22 »
have you tried the super star?

to be honest kmck people could post up a gazillion names of different boats that you could buy and their endorsements for the same. im guessing what with you paddling for as long as you have you have the experience to know the names of the boats and a rough idea of what each one is about.

in short the best way to choose the best boat for you is to try out as amny demos as you can lay your hands on. not by starting a topic on the message board.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 22:57:53 »
I've been watching hours of house and this what he does with a white board! Mostly I know what I like and don't like in a boat. I'm not going to get a chance to surf it so need peoples feed back on that. Then again my idea of fun in surf is different to some I like to carve across the face of a wave so lenght and hull speed come into play. However with a little bit of practice I don't see why I can't do that in a shorter playboat.

Offline Mark

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 02:16:02 »
http://www.i-canoe.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/547 going cheap.

No idea what its like though.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:16:42 »
you seem to be talking quite a bit about surf, if your looking for a good boat in the surf that you'll use on rivers too look at a long boat with good rails, stay away from the likes of the project, agent, star, they're all too short (more for bouncing or really steep river waves) for what you want, go for something like s8, rX, etc, although a good one might be the crazy88, even ask mark- its one of the fastest boats on a wave that I've ever paddled. And like Slapper said, rad seems to be quite good. 

Offline david

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 23:58:59 »
Well KMcK,

With a 29inch inside seem it would have to be an agent.

or an rx,

Wait a project 45/52

or an of them actually.

Just pick a colour that won't cash with you're helmet and hope for the best.

I promise, they're all the shaggin' same...

Offline slapper

• http://NewZealand05.com
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 15:54:38 »
Dave,

you're really looking for a good stick beating there!

Offline Ritchie

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 17:31:15 »
well for the majority of the people on this board (inc.you dave), they're all the shagging same.

...now theres a stick beating. :P

Offline david

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 15:41:36 »
That's right, I Just made sure it had airbags...

Offline Galwayhead

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 03:28:54 »
Youre welcome to demo my G-force though if youre lookin for carving on less steep waves you cant go wrong with a supersport  :P