Author Topic: China  (Read 13982 times)

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
China
« on: September 29, 2008, 19:36:55 »
The time has come when I have to start considering where in China I want to go next year. A couple of quick questions just in case anybody can answer them:

1. How expensive is it to fly a boat long distance?
2. Is it worth my while bringing the boat with me?
3. Does anybody know if either Beijing or Shanghai have any decent paddling?

Any other general info on traveling with a boat/paddling in China would be appreciated.

Evan

And no I don't really expect a huge response.

Offline Diarmaid

Re: China
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 20:15:17 »
shanghai is at the mouth of the third longest river in the world... I can't imagine there's a whole lot of elevation.

Offline fityounggranny

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 21:42:59 »
Even if it had elevation....

Its a chinese river... if its any way like the ganges, i would not go near it...

Not if it had the single bestest rapid/wave/run in the world!!!

Offline kill

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 22:06:42 »
Beijing has a newly built artificial slalom course. I'm sure you can check on the web whether or not it's available to the public/ closed/ used as an overflow storage area (get it?)/ used to dispose of young children and Tibetans alike.

A lot of long haul flights just lash the boat on for free. Others charge up to €100 one-way. Others simply refuse. It depends on the airline which depends on the place you're going to. When you know what ailines you might use, check the 'special baggage' list on their website and read about all the crazy stuff that gets taken on planes.

Offline Sean

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 22:19:49 »
Hey evan,

I can tell you that there is definately kayaking in China and most of it is big volume stuff and multiday. I know that there's definately a nice gorge section outside beijing though cant remember the name of the river and haven't paddled it myself. I think Dave Byrne knows a lad over there at the moment but you'll have to ask him. In the mean time these boys may be able to answer some questions for ya, http://www.enrgkayaking.com/index.php?Itemid=86&id=32&option=com_content&task=view Or if you can speak/read chinese this is supposed to be a good website www.raftchina.com

As for bringing your kayak on flights - long haul flights generally let you bring sports equipment for free, as long as you remember to keep things under the weight limit. So for example as happened to me coming back from america last week - I had a luggage limit of 36kg so with my boat weighing 14kg I had 22kgs for clothes etc. I found this easily do-able. The main thing is to find out who you're potentially flying with and give them a bell and check if they have restrictions on sports equipment - I know for example that KLM under no circumstances except kayaks, while Qatar and others have no problems taking boats.

As for wether or not its worth while bringing a boat is up to you. I know some rafting operations out there rent kayaks, though I don't know prices or conditions etc. If you're not going to be paddling much this is a good option. So get in touch with rafting companies and check things out.

Later
Sean

Offline Lucy

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:24:20 »
China is fricking awesome...good choice. My flights to Beijing AND out of Shanghai cost me E745 euro or something like that from usit office! I wasn't bringing a boat though.

Offline holly

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:47:56 »
mmm... china....
ditch the boat and bring an appetite instead.
best 3 months of my life!

Offline Cheesy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:55:04 »
mmm china!!!
tasty
just rmember this phrase

ei ping pyjoe!!

and then once you have the beer it's

gam-bay!!!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 19:05:50 »
my mates in laos... not too sure on paddling in china, i know there's definitely good rivers but there seems to be lots of restrictions making it very difficult, probably best hooking up with a raft company. I wouldn't bring a boat unless it's the purpose of your travels, rent them out there, or you can probably pick up a cheap one.

another usefull phrase is...

wo diu le wo de teddy shiong. ni neung ku wo yi chi soy ma   

say it as you'd read it....    :)

Offline Brendino

• People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durdan
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 20:20:40 »
I know that when I was in Sydeny you could rent out a boat and all the gear that you needed and they delivered it and me to the Olympic course which was open to the public. The local council ran the facility. I'm sure that if you do some investigating, the local council or some other organisation will probably be doing the same thing.

Best of Luck.

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 12:53:49 »
I know that when I was in Sydeny you could rent out a boat and all the gear that you needed and they delivered it and me to the Olympic course which was open to the public. The local council ran the facility. I'm sure that if you do some investigating, the local council or some other organisation will probably be doing the same thing.

Best of Luck.

Apparently they are turning the rowing/canoeing park into a holiday resort of some sort.

Offline tonshin

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 15:29:31 »
eh? Just saw this post :o
When will this trip be? I guess it will be in the summer? Not sure if I'll be here by that time, else I'm in, just to show off my super awesome language skills ;D.  Really, I'm still here in Jan, and I can go from 21st to 28th Jan :P, imaging having a translator with you ::), you know you all want me ;)
As for the places, I'm OK with either Beijing or Shanghai, I would also suggest Dalian or Qingdao (close to the sea), or middle China (the most famous and best sights for rivers), very nice smaller cities (still bigger than Dublin thou) instead of big international cities, or even Hainandao, which is like Hawaii (Chinese version); it will be good for a winter trip  :P. Dalian or Qingdao is sortta in the north, so better to go in summer. The Olympic was in Qingdao, for those water sports, not in Beijing :P. From what I can remember, Beijing is not close to rivers that has a name on the map, and Shanghai is close to a big river where ships will take all the space I assume, you don't want to be run over by a titanic ship. :-X
Anyway, if the time in Jan is OK, I can look up more details, else can only help here, not over there :'(
Cheers,
Tonshin

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 16:19:24 »
This is just me looking for advice before I go to study in China for a year next September.

THIS IS NOT A CLUB TRIP!

Offline Towelyey

• Boobs Officer
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 16:43:58 »
he he he!! why didnt you say it was a club trip!?!?!?!? when are we going? is it free?? will there be club booze??

Offline finch

• Committee 10/11
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 16:47:21 »
CHINESE CLUB HOOCH !!!!!! ;D ;)