Author Topic: Basic paddling gear  (Read 9835 times)

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
Re: Basic paddling gear
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 13:06:22 »
Why is it that the moment someone posts up asking for advice it always turns into a big mickey competition over who knows the most about kayaking?
If you read back over this post you will notice how everyone has a different opinion of what gear you should get first: ERGO it is a personal choice!!! If your feet get cold easily = get booties first. If thermals keep you warm enough = don't need a wetsuit bla bla bla bla

The only person i actually agree with is Cian- why buy a basic cag from GODS when the club are offering the exact same ones FOR FREE?

Dave, Ritchie why don't you two just get it over with and rip eachothers clothes off? The sexual tension between you two is ridiculous

Offline joey

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 13:08:41 »
I think its a bit unfair the way this post has become a GOD bashing post for some people. People have different experiences in shops and this experience does not mean this is the way they treat everyone.

I have only dealt with great outdoors but my brother and da have both bought gear from I-canoe and have had no problems. I have had no problems with great outdoors, and I have returned stuff no problem, I have returned a boat a year after i bought it and was given a replacement one and then a brand new one when they found out it was a production problem and i have also gone in to get new rachet straps for a back rest and was given the whole back rest for free. That surely cant be seen as bad service??

I will agree that up until now great outdoors have been more expensive than other shops but in my experience this has changed as most boats are down below €1000 and the new sidewinder cag is cheaper than the version it replaced. But there is reasons for these higher prices, city centre location so higher rent, more employees than I-canoe.

i dont mean to single out Richie but I think I know the reason you are annoyed with great outdoors and I can see where your coming from but I also know that that was not a problem great outdoors caused but a problem caused by supplier, great outdoors could do nothin in that situation.

But to get back on topic, I think that the best think a beginner can buy is a good cag, winter is cold and as a beginner you will spend alot of time in the water. If you get cold you will not enjoy it, so invest in a good cag and thermals!! Also a swimming hat or neoprene ear wig is great for keeping warm!! Neoprene ear wig if you have money and swimming hat if your short on cash!

Sorry for the long post but had been looking at the replies and had to say something. I also want to say that I have never had a problem with I-canoe but just think people are being bit unfair on great outdoors. Joey

Offline bexifurr

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 20:46:06 »
Davey, you wouldn't bother with the bouyancy aid at all, no?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 10:54:43 »
it's davy..without the e... and no I wouldn't.. b-aids are for swimmers  :P

Offline Sick Boy

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 11:04:44 »
the reasoning behind my booties first is from seeing so many freshers having difficulty getting into boats with runners, booties make it so much easier to get in and out and are relativly cheap. so for a little bit of money it can make a big difference. also the club has wetsuits these days so a wetsuit is of lower priority than when you started paddling diramaid. that said, pia is right, the first puiece of paddling kit i bought was a helmet beasuse i have a fat head and used to get headaches from the club helmets.

dave/ kmck, not sure which it was but any pfds sold in ireland will have to conform to ce standards and thus have to have reflective strips.

bex i wouldnt say there is a huge need for people to get into buying their own BA untill they start doing rescue and i agree with ritchie, dont go second hand.

cian

Offline AENGUS!

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 11:33:28 »
Here's a question for all you big kayaking heads... If you have a cag and dry pants or whatever do you need a wetsuit or do you just wear that gear with thermals underneath?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 11:41:06 »
wet suit or thermals either way you'll be warm, but thermals are more comfortable and give you more flexibilty.

Offline Sick Boy

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 11:43:17 »
i just wear loads of thermals underneath. just remember there are very few dry shells (cag/pants/dry suit) that are fully dry so some water may get in.

Offline david

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 22:03:28 »
I don't really have an opinion on this topic but I definatly want my opinion to be heard none the less.

I liked what Diarmuid said about sprey decks and tents. Sounded good.

oh and get cranked paddles, they're like normal paddles only better. All the pros with none of the cons.

Any hoo, hi from limerick. It's been kind of a slow day. I got up around nine ish, had a bite to eat and then looked at some rocks for a while. Had a nice lunch around one ish: a bit of stew. that was nice. Tasty.

Then i took a quick nap and looked at rocks again till about 5. good rocks i think, but I'm not sure: maybe they were just normal rocks, hard to tell really?

So after all that It was nice to relax in front of a gene Hackman film, the one where he plays a lawyer in a grey suit who gets chased by hench men but prosecuts the crime boss inb the end.

I stopped half way to give my opinion on something so I'm only guessing he prosecutes the crime boss.

I presume you guys are all posting for the same reason.

I mean really, Booties first or then wetsuit, or wet suit first then booties?

Yep, it's mighty quite down here alright. Think I'll go see how gene is getting on, he was just at the bit where he runs down yet another badly light corridor.

Offline bambi

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 13:50:35 »
Check out reed http://www.chillcheater.com/ if your looking for a dry cag that won't break the bank (£100.... which isn't much now with the Sterling exchange rate). I got one a couple of months ago and find it great.

It's nice and light so lots of movement but durable (no tears or the like yet... and I'm not as careful with gear as I should be!). Aslo really waterproof and it doesn't have neoprene seals which I find uncomfortable and also tear relatively easily if your not careful with them. Bargain buy I'd say  ;)

Ps their thermal fleece is super warm and comfy too