Author Topic: Yet another cag question  (Read 9041 times)

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
Re: Yet another cag question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 17:21:30 »
Other Kokatat cag for less than €200, not wise just an opinion

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 22:09:00 »
i've never owned a palm so can't say, but i can vouch for the kokatat. i've never heard a bad word said about them. also the helix is a good option if you're on a budget, i got mine for  175euro in icanoe.

Offline Bill C

• This can only go well
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 22:30:02 »
Does the helix stand up to the usual (ie. fairly rough) wear & tear?

Offline rowantheboat

• UCD Musical Society
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 22:59:28 »
so far so good for me. i got my helix for 140, and there's no sign of any wear, albeit after only two months, but still...

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 23:00:47 »
i don't see why not if you make sure to look after it right.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 00:09:34 »
ye i got the helix n granted ive only used it and club cags so i dont have much to compare it to but i think its great!im not sure at the moment though  if its 100% dry when i get out!im thinking its letting in at my left elbow!but 140 (or something) for a dry cag you cant go too far wrong

Offline Sara

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:53:26 »
kokatat all the way, just dont let a nurse with a shears anywhere near it, mine was totally waterproof and great untill she got at it (and that was after 18months of every weekend use)

Sara

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:56 »
I've had my present sidewunder for about 3-4 years. It is still good. When I got it first it started to delaminate under the armpits. Returned it and got a new one which has had very little problems except it is beginning to leak after three years of wear including two alps trips.
Any cag can last if you take care of it. I always use a silicon spray for my seals when I first get it then I make sure to reapply that at tleast once a year. I always rinse my gear in water and steep it in milton for half an hour to clean it then rinse again. I still have my first cag and beyond some tape coming off it is still servicable.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:49:16 by kmck »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 10:35:38 »
I've used both the kokatat and the sidewinder.... I found the kokatat a little more comfortable but the sidewinder is definitely warmer and more durable.... To be honest they're both very similar, both very good and there's not that much difference, I'd go for the sidewinder because it's cheaper..

ps. the cheaper kokatat wouldn't be as good as these two, but still cheaper again... any cag will last if you look after it properly.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:38:35 by Dave B »

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 11:46:01 »
so what we're all trying to say here bill, is it's much of a muchness with regards to durability, warmth etc. what you need to be looking at is your colour options. i think kokatat wins hands down for aesthetics, i particularly like thier stylish mango shade. however it all depends on the colour of your helmet, ba and boat. hope this helps.

Edit: is it ok to wash your cag with milton? doesn't damage the seals or anything? my cag says its machine washable but i'm not prepared to take that risk  :-\
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:47:56 by caz »

Offline Amanda

• Light shop
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 16:16:34 »
I wash gear in the washing machine when I won't be using for a while or it smells or I'm just feeling lazy. I put it on a 30 degree slow gentel wash and it doesn't seen to have done any harm yet and my booties don't smell.

And what caz said it really important not to clash on the river since everyone started getting them water proof cameras.

Offline TomB

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 09:59:46 »
I spent a couple of years with palm cags, and i have to say they were brilliant because every few months i got a new because the old one delaminated!

I have a kokatat helix cag since July and it got 3 weeks of Norway and continuous use ever since. still bomber.

I also have the kokatat gore tex dry suit since October and that is still bomber after contiuous use.

i've heard loads of bad stories of palm dry wear, that people are now starting to change 'palm' for 'sham' . . . . . . kokatat have a great reputation at the moment.

Offline Jim

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 12:50:52 »
Having no personal experience of either cag, all I can say is that Kokatat stuff, in general, rocks. I've had a Kokatat drysuit since last March and I've never been so dry, warm, or yellow in all my days of kayaking. The downside is that Kokatat gear is more expensive - it's a case of getting what you pay for.

Jim.

Offline rog

• Ginger Giant
  • Who wants to do that thing we always do?
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 14:38:55 »