Author Topic: Dry bag! Worth buyin?  (Read 11773 times)

Offline breathnach.o

• I'm a Murse!
Dry bag! Worth buyin?
« on: October 15, 2009, 21:43:44 »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 21:46:50 by breathnach.o »

Offline rog

• Ginger Giant
  • Who wants to do that thing we always do?
Re: Dry bag! Worth buyin?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 21:54:53 »
Here comes the good old gear debate, we haven't actually had one in a while on the board I don't think.

First of all, never hear of the dry bag, doesn't look to bad though , only thing is, its only 40L, if ur planning on getting all the gear, which is certainly looks like u are, I don't think 40L is enough, mine is 75L and that fits everthing nice. Helmet, ba and footwear typically take up a lot of room.

On to the dry cag... Well, this is completely up for debate, but... In my humble opinion, if ur starting out and u KNOW u enjoy the sport and are gonna spend some time doing it, forget about a semi-dry cag, i spent €50 on a second hand semi-dry cag, used it a couple of times and decided it was shit and i wanted a dry cag, now chops has the semi-dry cag, and it was €50 wasted.

Just get a cheap dry cag, like a reed chillcheater...!!! http://www.chillcheater.com/products/shop.asp?cid=8&p=1&pid=831

Or the lomo one that ger has http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dry-tops-cags-spray.html,

same price as that semi-dry u put up there... And about oh i don't know 10000000 million times better....

But listen to other peoples opinions too, you'll quickly learn its something u have to do...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 21:57:06 by ska-child »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 23:04:17 »
I had a version of the semi-dry from nookie, it was excellent and I still have it. Though now it is really old at nine years and in need of repair.
Generally people buy gear in bits. A good deck, Long john wetsuit, Cag, booties, Helmet, b/aid, blades and boat. Sort of in that order. I went helemt, booties, wetsuit, cag, deck, B/aid, paddles and boat. Then the next time I got drypants and dry cag together. Some people swear by dry gear to stay warm and that is another step up in price.
I would also recomend seeing what gear our local shops have before going to internet I-canoe or GODs sometimes they have sales, I-canoe has one at present.
Also remember some brands are better than others in quality and durabilty so I suggest looking at Playak.com for comparisons also irishfreestyle and search this site for gear as well as this topic has been done before.

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 23:31:32 »
Good to see the enthusiasm man!I wouldn't bother with the drybag, it's a little small for all your gear but too big for the boat, I use a 50 litre bag which is ok but a bit of a squeeze. Your gear bag doesn't have to be a drybag, it'll be staying in the car anyway. A big holdall or backpack will do or just a storage box or 2!!!
    The difference between the semi and drycags is the neck seal. On a dry cag the neck and wrist seals are tight latex which stops the water getting in. On a semi only the wrist seals are latex, the neck is neoprene like a wetsuit. Also the material is slightly more permeable. Both are very good and a semi will keep you quite dry, but you would need a wetsuit under it rather than drypants and thermals combo.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 00:09:38 by Karen »

Offline Douchier

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:45:26 »
No, don't buy it.

It's too small and it's too much for that product on ebay

I'm right

That is all.

Offline breathnach.o

• I'm a Murse!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:51:31 »
the reason i want a dry bag is cause i do quite a bit of motorbike touring aswell and a dry bag would be perfect for keepin all my campin gear dry so i want one that's big enough for all my gear too!

As for dry cag i think i am just going to spend a largeish sum of money once rather than spend lots of moderate sums of money lots of times! but anyway i'm too broke right now to consider anything! just asking questions is all!

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:15:22 »
Dry bags are fine but you might want to look at Axiom panniers for the bike not great volume in them but a little more suitable for the job.

Offline Amanda

• Light shop
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 11:26:13 »
I got a 100 litre gul dry bag with straps for 24.41 pound (http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=145) which fits all my gear and is easy to carry around.

The main difference between a semi-dry and a dry cag is about 40 to 50 euro. The cost of putting a neck seal into any cag.
My advice start trying stuff on. Something might look perfect on paper but you might need to shrink your arms for it to fit or you might need two or three people to help you get it off.
Find someone the same height and size roughly as your self and ask them about there gear.

Also buying stuff on the internet you don't get to see the quality. How are the seams waterproofed? What material is used and how heavy is it? This effects how long it will stay waterproof.

But by far the most important thing is the colour. There should be some type of over all colour schemes as you don't what to look silly in the pictures.

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 11:37:13 »
For example Kyle, who has gone with a striking orange theme, to match his hair.

Offline breathnach.o

• I'm a Murse!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 15:09:05 »
Dry bags are fine but you might want to look at Axiom panniers for the bike not great volume in them but a little more suitable for the job.

i got a fantastic set of soft luggage for the bike but then burned some lovely big holes in them off the exhaust, was away for a lovely weekend in august where it pissed non stop and there was not one single moment when i was dry due to the "unusual nonwaterproofness" of the luggage, brought it back to the guy in the shop who told me where to put the bags pointing out the very large hole!!! so i figure a 100 lt bag i can strap on the back would suit better!

Offline breathnach.o

• I'm a Murse!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 15:20:00 »
I got a 100 litre gul dry bag with straps for 24.41 pound (http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=145) which fits all my gear and is easy to carry around.

Thanks for this link i just ordered same bag,
Funtastic times a comin

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 17:00:33 »
i use a 50L palm dry bag for wet stuff and 20L hf dry bag for dry stuff. no point wearing a dry cag all day if you throw your dry thermals into your 100L dry bag with all your wet stuf at the end!!

sort of defeats the entire point doesnt it......

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 17:16:36 »
I got a great little dry bag (I think 15l or something like that) in Aldi for about €10 so look to see if they have them coming up on special offer any time soon