Author Topic: Tri-Adventure - Something a little different!  (Read 5238 times)

Offline jam

Tri-Adventure - Something a little different!
« on: November 24, 2009, 15:51:44 »
Ladakh, India - August 8th to 28th, 2010

The Tri-Adventure Expedition is the first of its kind anywhere in the world. It is a demanding expedition ideal for those with a good level of fitness who enjoy a challenge. The expedition is divided into three sections: mountain biking, rafting/kayaking and trekking, covering a total distance of 460km. Located in Ladakh on the edge of the Tibetan Plateau, this entire trip is at high attitude and acclimatisation adds an extra element to this expedition. With a low point of 2940m and a high point of 6153m we cross five passes (4200m, 3700m, 4400m, 4950m & 4850m) along this epic journey. With over 90% of Ladakh's population practicing Buddhism it is more like Tibet than India in many ways. The expedition gives great insight into local culture with visits to monasteries, palaces, villages and markets all included.

Bike
The 5 day bike section covers a distance of 276km on mixed surface of tarmac, gravel, sand and large stones. We follow the road from Kargil to Padum, which is only passable in the summer months and is completely snowed out in winter. The route takes us past many remote villages and monasteries as we follow the Suru and then Stod rivers to reach Karsha, the starting point of the river section. The highlights of this section are the views of the Nun and Kun Massifs, both over 7000m, the sunset and sunrise at the Rangdum plains, the Drung Durung Glacier (source of the Zanskar River) and crossing the Pensi La pass at 4400m.

Raft or Kayak
We paddle 95km over two days on the Zanskar River, considered by many to be one of the best rivers in the world. After an extensive safety brief we put on the water and enjoy a nice introductory section of class II whitewater. After 25km we enter the Grand Canyon of Asia and enjoy good class III/IV whitewater and incredible scenery. Once in the canyon we are committed to reach its end. With canyon walls over 1000m deep and no road access this the most remote section of the expedition. No experience is required for rafters but kayakers need to have class 4 experience. 

Trek
We leave the trekking section until last to maximise altitude acclimatisation. Each day is different as we pass through a range of spectacular landscapes along valleys and crossing high passes, a total distance of 89km. Starting at 3190m we cross two passes just under 5000m to reach Stok Kangri base camp at 4900m. From there we climb to 6153m, the summit of Stok Kangri and the climax of our expedition. The views from the top are breathtaking as we have a bird's eye view of the entire route and great views of the Karakoram, Stok, Zanskar & Ladakh ranges as well as views far into Pakistan and Tibet.  No technical mountaineering experience is required to climb Stok Kangri. 

Trip Difficulty
This Expedition has been specifically designed to be very challenging. It is suitable for people who exercise to a high level on a regular basis. Although we will reach the highest point on the trekking section the bike section will be the most physically demanding. You will be cycling for 5 to 6 hours on 5 consecutive days. The river section will allow your legs to rest before we start trekking. It is not however a 'lake cruise', we are running one of the most remote river canyons in the world with big volume class III/IV whitewater. When we start walking we should be well acclimatised. However, the day we summit Stok Kangri will be most demanding of the entire expedition. Contact us to discuss your fitness and training for this expedition.

Contact me for the trip dossier which includes;
The full itinerary.
Route maps.
Trip photos.
Price & payment details.
A gear list.
Information on travel insurance, medical vaccinations, tourist visas and booking International flights.

All the best

Jam
jam@intoindia.com
01 4433314
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 16:01:28 by jam »

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
Re: Tri-Adventure - Something a little different!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 17:42:47 »
If anyone is considering doing this give me a shout and I may be persuaded to stick around for a while

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
Re: Tri-Adventure - Something a little different!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 22:14:53 »
I'll go if you pay for me Evan!