Author Topic: 3 years!??!?!?  (Read 5546 times)

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
3 years!??!?!?
« on: April 26, 2010, 23:02:29 »
You have to have minimum three years experience recorded in your log book before you can go for a lev 5 assessment?

I will never be able to keep a small folder in my possession, let alone in one piece for that long.

Quote from: Level 5 Kayaking Skills :)
in addition to 4.02 a candidate must record in a Level 5 Kayak Skills Logbook evidence of having gained experience over a minimum of three years on a range of advanced river trips showing a bias towards "wild" and Grade 4 & advanced white water rivers. Experience gained on wholly artificial courses/weirs will not be considered as part of the completion of this requirement.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
Re: 3 years!??!?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 23:14:42 »
phew..good thing i got mine before that rule came in...  :)

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 00:36:56 »
No that means you have to have been paddling for 3 years before getting your log book. You have to show them that you have a minimum of 3 years paddling experience before doing the training/assessment.

You don't have to keep the log book for three years, since for assessment you only have to log a minimum 10 river trips, or approx. 25 hours.

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:52:41 »
You don't have to keep the log book for three years, since for assessment you only have to log a minimum 10 river trips, or approx. 25 hours.

So basically, give us a week in Europe Karen and we can go for our L5 *winkey*

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:58:07 »
The way that's phrased makes it three years before you can go for assessment. Matt unless you got a clarification and there will be a correction I think you have to take it as it is written. Unless this is a statement of what you have done before hand. How is an examiner supposed to confirm it?

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 09:09:58 »
It seems absolutely stupid if it is that way Kieran. I think it can read both ways....

Say you're paddling 15years, a majority of them on grade 4/5, then you decide you actually want your L5 cert, you have to wait another three years even though you could log all your hours in a matter of days....? Seems a bit much

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:25:29 »
I agree, just think it is worded badly, it asks for evidence. Do you submit photos of you running grade 4 plus or do you have video evidence or is it just enough to detail where you've paddled and with who and any courses you did during that time? As I said it needs a clarification if it can be read both ways. Now I must get back to endnote and imputing these references.

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 11:00:02 »
You don't have to have your log book for 3 years!!!!! You could go for assessment 6 months after getting your log book if you got all your hours.

In your log book, there is a section where you write about your paddling experience. This is where you show them that you've been paddling for a minimum of 3 years...

And anyway, it says in the log book you should go for assessment within 2 years of doing a L5 training course.

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:09:13 »
Ok!

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:13:41 »
Oh yes you do! seeing how long before the farce takes hold, students doing exams needing a pointless outlet to release tension