Author Topic: Kerry 10/11  (Read 19088 times)

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
Kerry 10/11
« on: May 13, 2010, 13:34:06 »

Right, so here we go... I know a lot of this has been said before (here), but I thought, sure why not bring it up again!

I've been thinking about Kerry next year, and I propose moving the club to Glenbeigh. There's a few reasons for this:

1) The ice boxes were, again, pretty damn miserable this year. I know this winter was very cold, but I think when you can see your own breath in the bedrooms and you have stuff freezing solid against the windows, it's time to find somewhere else.

2) We'd be close enough to Rossbeigh that we could still go to the Ross Inn. Also there's more pubs in Glenbeigh that we could go to.

3) While it's great to have the beach in Rossbeigh, there's hardly ever surf, so it's not really worth staying for.

4) We'd still be close to all the rivers we usually do, as opposed to moving to another part of Kerry where we'd be further away from stuff.

There's a few more I can't think of at the moment, but hey.

So unless anybody has any major objections, the plan is to look into staying in Glenbeigh.

Post up what you guys think

Matt :blank:

Offline Mark

Re: Kerry 10/11
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 13:57:41 »
WAAA WAAA WAAA WaAA WAAA

Offline rog

• Ginger Giant
  • Who wants to do that thing we always do?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 14:00:12 »
Here here, lets do it.

Jer

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 14:50:20 »
I, for one, am against any form of change whatsoever but will go to Kerry anyway and spend my entire time talking about how much better the ice-boxes were.

better in my day, etc.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 14:52:36 by Jer »

Offline Mark

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 14:51:10 »
P.S. The last time the club stayed in Glenbeigh it was class.

Offline rog

• Ginger Giant
  • Who wants to do that thing we always do?
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 14:53:39 »
I, for one, am against any form of change whatsoever but will go to Kerry anyway and spend my entire time talking about how much better the ice-boxes were.

Edit: better in my day

Haha nice 1 jer, that's the Canoe Club way. Although i'm pro-glenbeigh, i might just join you.

Jer

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 15:05:32 »
Remember when everyone had to pile into one room wearing full outdoor gear and crowd around the fire to stay even remotely warm? Now everyone just lounges about with their double-glazed windows, a heating system that works and walls which are capable of retaining heat. It's destroying the integrity of the canoe club.

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 15:12:09 »
Is it just UCD moving with everyone else staying in Rossbeigh or are others moving down to Glenbeigh as well?

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 15:27:18 »
i didnt make it to kerry cos i wasnt well enough so i cant really talk. but personally i dont like a cold night indoors after a cold day outdoors or on the river. also so many people come back sick from it hardly seems worth it.

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 15:27:34 »
we stayed in glenbeigh my fresher year it was great! houses were ten times nicer and the walk to the ross inn provides plenty of pre drinking time and isnt that far when your locked. the ice boxes and the houses around it are a rip off, really cold and just give everyone bronchitis or pneumonia.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 15:39:08 »
I have absolutely no problem with the club going to glenbeigh so long as I don't have to be anywhere near them :laugh:. If you can get a good deal on houses then go for it. In my first year we where up the hill in glenbeigh, it was great the walk is always fun with a few people just remember to bring a head torch.
When you where saying a can of worms I thought you where going to suggest that the club book enough houses for everyone and run them like private houses, each house having it's own crew. As far as I know you guys spent about 120 for the week each for the icebox combos. In glenbeigh you can get a house for 600 or less and split that by eight, still comfortable but not too messy throw in 200 for food and heating and you are talking 100 each.
Or really opening a can of worms and suggest moving to donegal for new years!

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 16:24:00 »
Move, the ice boxes are crap with their over priced electricity. It takes a week to de-frost them, its only the last day or 2 they warm up enough to dry the kitchen floors. Modern house would have more than one bathroom. In the past clubs would drink one night ( usually the 30th) in Glenbeigh, thats one night less to walk if ye could get that tradition revived.

Also the Behy river can be paddled instead of surf.

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 16:26:13 »
Yeh I stayed in the club house in Glenbeigh my first year, was awesome and then we stayed in Glenbeigh in a private house the year just gone. Absolutely no problems. Someone will usually drive down to the pub or theres a guy with a mini-van taxi who charges a euro/2 euro each for the spin down if you're feeling lazy. The taxi dude usually did lifts home too but with the ice he didn't. Took about 20 minutes to walk home in my head but that was including people falling over every 5 minutes (hilarious) and walking slowly to dodge the ice! haha

When I saw the can o worms at the top of the post I thought you were going to try move it. Most oldies stay in Glenbeigh anyways - no biggie at all. Definitely go for it!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 03:55:10 by Asho87 »

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 18:15:31 »
I thought there were supposed to be worms in this can?

It seems the only controversy here is that empty can someone sold you. I'd be looking for my worms or a refund.

Offline Robyn

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 23:20:51 »
all for it lol-had bronchitis leaving kerry this year :-P