Author Topic: Paddling this week...  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Douchier

Paddling this week...
« on: February 21, 2011, 22:02:10 »
So...I don't think that we go paddling enough.

I'm free after three on both Wednesday and Thursday, I think that there should be paddling on both. If anyone else is free then post up and we'll see what can be done!

I reckon that if anyone who's interested in paddling during a given week posts up what times they can be free then people could organise to do something. It doesn't have to take a whole load of time, it can be for only a few hours.

What I plan on doing if there's no rain is either:

Head off to Sluice.
BAM! Playboating is fun and easily the best way to develop your paddling skills when Rivers aren't running. It's nearby so you spend a couple of hours there and dart back to the library having only used up about 3 or so hours, maybe more. People don't seem to be playboating nearly as much as they have in previous years, I know I haven't but I intend to change that. You'd really need to have a good roll and it's not am easy introduction to freestyle, but i new people are interested then we can go to somehwere like Stackallen.

Flatwater stuff – Dodder
There’s nothing like a bit of fitness training heh? If I’m on my own/only a couple of us then I’ll work on fitness/speed. If more people are interested then we can set up the polo goals and throw the ball about a bit.

If you’re available then post up, bear in mind that there has to be an adequate level of competence/experience for any of these things to happen. If you want to borrow club gear then you have to get permission and sweet-talk some of the lovely into letting you into the boathouse.

As I said, post up when you’re free… sure what have you got to lose?

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
Re: Paddling this week...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 22:54:09 »
I'm hoping to get a few runs on the trooperstown annamoe section on Wednesday, leaving UCD about 11ish. They'll be fast, practising for the race on saturday.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 23:59:18 »
i was just thinking the same thing... :)

i'm free in the middle of the day most wednesdays but would have to be back in ucd by 6pm (not this wed though..labs call...)

as for thursdays.. i'm finished at 1pm. so i'd be very happy to go paddling (unless i had an exam or something on the friday OR A FUCKING ESSAY THAT HASN'T BEEN STARTED!! FML)

and now the playboating scene has been suitably wrecked - I've also decided to take up playboating... ergo i want to go to sluice often enough - I also wouldn't mind rescuing if freshers wanted to go (obviously i could only rescue 1 or 2 on my own) and i'd play rescue for the session...  8)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 00:15:49 by Eoghan »

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 20:33:29 »
Nicely said Douch! After the end of next week I should have a lot more time on my hands and plan to get lots of paddling in. w00t!

Have fun tomorrow!

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 14:06:26 »
What are the Annamoe levels like at the moment?

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 14:34:46 »
Got a text from Niall at 13:23
"Wow, that water looks low"
So...not great.

The library's honking though, 6m entry rapid/queue, hardly an eddy/free desk to be found.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 14:36:33 by Maryanne.D »

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 14:36:38 »
i finish on wednesdays at 12, tursdays at 2, fridays at 12 and would be up for paddling anywhere any of these days this week is a bit crazy with midterms but next week should be better.

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 17:54:35 »
It was low but doable. A bit of rain before the weekend would be nice though.

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 18:25:44 »
Not much forecast. A couple of mm tomorrow and the same again on Sunday afternoon for Wicklow.
After the end of next week I should have a lot more time on my hands

Its not like you have anything important on Tuesday or anything is it?

If anyone is heading Sluice direction over the mid term let me know and I may be tempted to take a couple of hours as a study break. You even get to pick me up on the way!!!