Author Topic: AGM 2011  (Read 13189 times)

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
AGM 2011
« on: March 23, 2011, 18:38:18 »
Hey guys and gals,

Just a quick post to let you know that this year's AGM is coming up - it's going to be on Saturday the 9th of April.

Time 8.30pm, Location: The Clonskeagh House Pub (the pub at Clonskeagh Bridge)

The thread for committee nominations is now up: http://www.ucdcanoeclub.com/index.php/board,45.0.html

AGM Agenda:
1. Captain's Report on the year
2. Treasurer's Report on the accounts
3. Election of Committee 2011/2012
4. Any other business

Cheers

Matt
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 13:25:26 by Matt »

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
Re: AGM 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 00:36:20 »
A Saturday!?? Fair enough, less or more of a chance or getting booted off campus for drinking? C'est la question.

The UCDCCDC best be thinking about who's going to win fresher of the year, and all y'all freshers better start "campaigning". :)

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:46:38 »
Hey guys,

Unfortunately this won't be on in the Blue Room. We're in negotiations over a new location, so I'll have my people call your people when we have more info.

Offline Mark

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:38:29 »
Hey Matt,

This mostly stems around the fact that the time doesn't suit me, but I wouldn't say I'm in the minority.

I have a number of reservations around the fact that it is starting at 7 on the same day and time as the Leinster Heineken Cup quarter final match (which i think kicks off at 6).

Also, its a funny time to run the AGM after a club trip, which will probably finish around 4, which means folks paddling can either go home, shower, eat and come back in again in the space of three hours (a bit tight), or stay on from the river trip(a bit hungry and smelly).

While its difficult to organize stuff without clashing with something, the fact that this is a general meeting to elect the committee means extra effort should be made to get a good turnout. Theres a lot of people int he club, who would generally come to AGM's, who would want to watch the match, and I think it'd be a shame to have them not come.

I'd like to see the event moved to a weekday, or failing that, having the time changed so its possible to watch the match, and to attend the meeting.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:56:27 »
It's often been run after a club trip on a saturday. Actually I would say the majority of Agms I've been at have been either on a thursday or saturday. Most people would have their weeks scheduled around club events anyway. If you want to make a meeting you make the meeting, if want to do something else that's what you'll do.
 I would point out that this has been up since the 23rd of march, you'd think you might have made an issue of it sooner?
 No day would suit me as I live down country. Saturday doesn't suit me but I know I will be at my nieces birthday then can come up and do some work in UCD before the meeting. In otherwords I modify my plans to make a meeting not expect others to change their plans to suit me!

Offline Livia

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:15:06 »
The AGM so far I understood will take place in a pub close to the dodder (not dogger ;) )
Matt fill us in :)
So people could meet up there, have some nice dinner + pints and watch the game!

Shower issue, is the sports centre open saturday and are people maybe able to have showers there? I have to admit it will be pretty tight schedule to get home shower and come back if you're not living close to Campus. How about delaying the AGM to 8pm?

Just some suggestions...

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 11:27:57 »
Sports centre is only open until 5 on Saturday. As for the time, why not just meet at the boat house an hour earlier than normal so that you get the extra hour that way? Or, since its the last trip of the year, do a boatercross at the boxes in Lucan or something else that won't take as long as a full river trip

Offline JODY

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 11:36:44 »
Why not have it in town? I know its late to be suggesting locations but i'm not a voting member so i wasnt exactly following the AGM threads. It would be nice if more people could make an appearance & since the match is on i'd assume alot of people would be heading to town after anyway.

Offline Mark

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:39 »
It's often been run after a club trip on a saturday. Actually I would say the majority of Agms I've been at have been either on a thursday or saturday. Most people would have their weeks scheduled around club events anyway. If you want to make a meeting you make the meeting, if want to do something else that's what you'll do.
 I would point out that this has been up since the 23rd of march, you'd think you might have made an issue of it sooner?
 No day would suit me as I live down country. Saturday doesn't suit me but I know I will be at my nieces birthday then can come up and do some work in UCD before the meeting. In otherwords I modify my plans to make a meeting not expect others to change their plans to suit me!

I've made an issue with it as soon as I found out when the Heineken Cup game is. Also, the date has been set, but I think the time was only put up on the 28th March. The last time it got run on a saturday after the club trip was in 2005. (maybe 06, I missed that one)

I'm posting because a change would suit me, but I wouldnt bother if it was just me. A lot of active club members will want to watch that game.
 The Match starts @ 6, pushing the AGM start time out to 8.30 would give folks a chance to do both in the same day, and facilitate those who want to watch the match, and make it easier for paddlers who want to go out after to go home and get cleaned up beforehand.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:18:36 by Mark »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 12:20:06 »
I've been around a little bit longer than 2006! It was on the board since the 23rd, your only making the point that it interfers with a club trip as a secondary point to when the match is on. If it was a major issue you would have raised it before now.
Since they've picked a date, maybe they can move the time a little later in the evening or as Evan suggested run the trip earlier to give people more time.
Plus by the looks of things they are going to a pub, I'm just guessing it will be on TV, I could be wrong since it's been a long time since I was in a pub. You're talking about 30 min for the AGM if everyone is sober/ish.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:24:25 by kmck »

Offline Mark

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 12:31:57 »
I've been around a little bit longer than 2006! It was on the board since the 23rd,

The date was, I don't think the time was.

your only making the point that it interfers with a club trip as a secondary point to when the match is on.

Yes. I didn't claim otherwise. And although i made my motivation for wanting it changed clear, surely the argument I make is more important than my motivation for making it.

If it was a major issue you would have raised it before now.
There is still a week before the AGM. I raised the point as soon as I became aware of the clash.

Since they've picked a date, maybe they can move the time a little later in the evening or as Evan suggested run the trip earlier to give people more time.

the former makes sense, as has been suggested twice.

Plus by the looks of things they are going to a pub, I'm just guessing it will be on TV, I could be wrong since it's been a long time since I was in a pub. You're talking about 30 min for the AGM if everyone is sober/ish.

Can't do both at the same time. The voting def takes more than 30 mins. 30 minutes gives you less than 4 minutes per position.  Probably about 30 mins of other stuff as well(treasurers report / captains report).

But seeing as a shorter AGM makes it easier to make it later, sure, why not! 30 minutes....

I agree its probably too late to change the date, but it's not too late to change the time.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:34:24 by Mark »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:48:29 »
Yes but mark, I wouldn't be able to wind you up as much if I didn't twist what you were saying  ;) The voting, speaking from painful experience can take over an hour with a room full of drunken people. It also can be done fairly quickly. If we could have the accounts posted before the AGM that would be great. Save time at the AGM as well, should anyone have an issue with them.

What I meant by it's in a pub, is go to pub, watch match, match finish, start AGM simples!

Onto the any other bussiness we can sort that out now, I have three things I want to raise
1. 35th anniversary, what to do
2. New pool, is there a committee like the bar committee and does anyone have the time to go for it
3. Wing nuts

I think that covers everything.

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 13:32:00 »
Right,

The meeting is being held on Saturday instead of Friday since both of UCD's polo teams are playing on Friday night, and we wouldn't want our meeting to clash with this important sporting event.

To keep the rugby fans happy, we will start the meeting at 8.30. The meeting will be held in the Clonskeagh House pub, just at Clonskeagh Bridge. Since there is a rugby match on (I think Leinster are playing, is it?) the pub will likely be busy enough, so we'll try and get the meeting done as quickly as possible. Who knows, this pub might even have a TV for you to watch the match on...

Does that sound ok? Any objections, feel free to rant.

Matt

Offline Mark

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 13:38:48 »
Cheers Matt

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 14:20:52 »
Cool stuff!
Last river trip (which will be BRILLIANT!), Leinster v Leicester, AGM, and party!
It's going to be a great day!

Also, it's a great match to watch if you're not that into rugby, you can cheer for either team and it sounds the same! So, win win!  ;D

Ah rugby fans...
I'm guessing everyone has seen this already, but just in case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5eu0EwK34