Author Topic: Probably the nicest thing you'll do with your summer  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
Probably the nicest thing you'll do with your summer
« on: August 08, 2013, 21:07:55 »
Hey Boys and Girls!!

In stark contrast to pretty much everything I normally post this is a meaningful one so listen up!

There will be a charity swim taking place on the 18th of August to Clare Island, Co. Mayo. (A beautiful place to take a trip).
But it ain't just a swim, people will be kayaking too! (Take it as some Liffey Descent training but for a super cause)
People are also needed in kayaks in amongst swimmers as its such a long haul (you'd all be capable of doing it). So there's two options available to kayakers :)

The swim is being organised in aid of a friend of mine, Jack Kavanagh. Last summer after spending the summer up in Colaiste UISCE as a windsurfing instructor and lifeguard Jack went on holidays with some friends to Portugal. He was jumping into waves, as everyone does at the beach, when he was unlucky enough to hit a sand bank and break his neck. The injury has left him with no feeling below his upper chest and limited use of his arms.

I can't really put into words the incredible courage, optimism and resilience he has shown since the accident. It is truly inspirational!

Here's his site with more information about his incredible journey
http://www.jackkavanaghtrust.com/jacks-story.asp

This is the facebook page too
https://www.facebook.com/SupportForJackKavanagh?fref=ts

I'm without a car with roof bars these days but if any of ye want to take part and join me, I'll defo go.

Any questions/people who are interested lemme know. (This isn't exclusive to UCDCC peeps either any help is much appreciated, he's a Trinity student but don't hold that against him)

Le meas,
Eoghan

Offline Conor Mohan

Re: Probably the nicest thing you'll do with your summer
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 22:34:26 »
I'm interested... but remaining a maybe for now. I'll have to find out what way I'm working. It'd be great to help out in this.

Is it possible to use Club gear for this?

I'm also without roofracks (01 yaris if anyone has a set to lend)

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:46:01 »
I'd be interested, depending on when it is!

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:40 »
If I'm not working that day I'd be up for it - just to say think its the 17th not the 18th. That's what it says on the website  :D

Offline Conor Mohan

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 23:12:00 »
Ha good eye! yeah it's the 18th me thinks, cheers for keeping me on my toes though  ;)

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:12:23 »
If I'm not working that day I'd be up for it - just to say think its the 17th not the 18th. That's what it says on the website  :D

Balls, I'm not working the 17th but am the 18th - won't be able head over unfortunately - sorry

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 12:28:54 »
I was just taking a look at the Facebook page and this was posted yesterday:

Hey guys!
Some bad news, just checked the update on weather for next weekend and bad news! The swell is hitting 3.5m westerly at a 12sec period so its looking like its not going to drop off enough for the swim.

I will make a final call on Tuesday night wether its going ahead or not.
The alternative dates are the Sat the 24 August or Sat 1 Sept.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:20:26 »
so anyone available? It looks doubtful that it'll run this weekend but on the off chance the forecast has changed and the guy organising gets back to me...

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:22:40 »
I can't do it this weekend, but if its rearranged I can see if I can sort it out with work :)

Offline Conor Mohan

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 21:03:01 »
I'm pretty confident I can do it on Sunday, but I'll need to double check at work tomorrow.

Offline Conor Mohan

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 19:08:08 »
Yes I can do it on Sunday, At the moment I've no roof racks but that may (hopefully) change between now & then.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 22:04:55 »
Nice one. Thanks Conor. I sent the guy a message earlier - the event is up to the weather gods atm but I'll get in touch  :)

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 23:02:58 »
Swim postponed till Sunday 1 Sept. Put it in your diarys boys and girls! we could organise a weekend trip like clifden - there's good surf out louisburg way!