Author Topic: Level 2 Kayak Instructor Training Course  (Read 8751 times)

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
Level 2 Kayak Instructor Training Course
« on: February 08, 2010, 21:18:33 »
Hey guys and gals

I'm wondering would anyone be interested in doing a Level 2 Kayak Instructor Training Course?

Course Duration: 2 days

When: Hopefully during the mid-term break. This means that it could even be run on 2 days mid-week if people weren't free at the weekend.

Who can do it: Anyone who has a Level 3 Kayak Skills Award.

What can a L2 Instructor do: A L2 instructor can instruct on flat water, and can instruct and assess up to the Level 2 Kayak Skills Award.

Cost: TBC. If we book a course with the ICU in bulk, we get a discount on the normal price per person (€175). And hopefully, if there's any money knocking around, the club may subsidise the course also.

Location: Land-based parts of the course will take place on campus in UCD. River-based parts of the course will take place on the River Dodder at Clonskeagh Bridge, which is a short walk/drive from the boathouse.

First Aid: A Level 2 Instructor must be qualified in first aid. If you want to do a first aid course, check out Nuala's post about a REC 3 course here.

More info: Further information on the L2 instructor can be found here. Just click the Level 2 Kayak Instructor link.

Why should I do it??
Doing this instructor course before the summer means you can log all the required hours on beginner courses during the summer, become an instructor, and then in September when the new freshers come into the club, you can be the ones who instruct them on their first trips out with the club. It would be ideal for any 2nd years with their level 3 skills (or will have it soon ;) ) as well as any 1st years looking to get their level 3 skills soon.

Post up here if you're interested. I'm trying to get an idea of numbers, and then we can set exact dates and such.

Cheers

Matt

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
Re: Level 2 Kayak Instructor Training Course
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 21:40:52 »
Yeah I suppose I would be interested. Depending on money of course.

Jer

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 22:50:24 »
(or will have it soon ;) )

One of theses days I'll sit a level 3 assessment.  I'd be up for doing it assuming I have one by then.

Offline finch

• Committee 10/11
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:30:33 »
Ye i'm so there ;D

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:48:03 »
Hey matt i am interested keep me posted on any info thanks!

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:56:34 »
I've done this one, it's a great way to learn how to teach properly, however you do have to log hours to get it and that's the hard part as there is a limited number of times a year that we as a club are on flatwater. The ICU has been good in the past letting people log hours on their introductory courses over the summer. If you don't have your first aid qualification before the course that's okay it will be on a list of things you have to get to do the assessment. I have heard of people doing the level 3 training before they have gotten their level 4 Jer so you may want to ask Benny if you can do it or check out the ICU website at www.canoe.ie for details of level 3 assessments, I heard talk of a free one in cork.

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 14:28:56 »
Logging hours over the summer shouldn't be a problem. ICU beginner courses are run pretty much every day during the summer in the morning, afternoon and evening. They are usually able to give anybody looking to log hours plenty to do.

And there's plenty of instructors around - the likes of Kipper and Brian Keogh and others - who would be happy to let you log hours over the summer too.

There's even a Facebook page for people looking to log hours - instructors put up course information and you get in touch with them.

So you should all be well able to log your hours and get assessed by September.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 14:32:02 »
ye i did an L2 training course recently and there was a girl yet to do her L3 assesment but she was able to do the course

Offline JODY

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 16:38:58 »
Oh Matt... send me a link to this page please  :)

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:23 »
Me too please!

Or, post it up here?