Author Topic: Club Lending Policy  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
Club Lending Policy
« on: February 06, 2012, 15:53:43 »
Right so this wasn't really needed till now. But now that you crazy cats are getting to the standard that you could go out on private trips this is how you should go about taking club gear.  8)

Before borrowing gear for a private trip the borrower in question must fill out all the details in the appropriate forms, a number of which shall be kept in a folder on the inside door of the boathouse. These completed Forms shall be placed in the appropriate folder which again can be found on the inside door of the boathouse. The safety officer shall hand these in to the sports office on request.

The forms shall be signed by any two of, the training officer, the safety officer, the equipment officer or the captain.

If one of those two people is not the Captain, the Captain must in some way be informed of the intended river trip, and his approval must be sought and obtained.

Upon approval, if the equipment officer is not one of the people signing the form, the captain shall inform the equipment officer of the gear being borrowed.

The Captain, Training Officer, Equipment Officer and Safety Officer shall make the decision as to whether or not to sign the said form, and the captain shall only approve the trip, on the basis of the following information that must be supplied by the gear borrower prior to borrowing;

a) The River or feature that the gear is being borrowed for, and its ICU difficulty grade.

b) The gear planning to be borrowed.

c) The group of kayakers planning to kayak the said River or feature, and the ICU kayaking skills proficiency of the gear borrower.

d) An accurate indication as to the water levels expected to be encountered on the river or feature in question.

e) When the gear being borrowed shall be returned to the boathouse.

No gear may be borrowed from University College Dublin Canoe Club unless the previous procedures have been followed.

The gear borrower shall be responsible for the gear being borrowed for the entire duration of time from the point of the gear leaving the boathouse to the gear being returned to the boathouse.
Any damage caused to privately borrowed club gear due to irresponsible behavior shall be the fault of the borrower and the estimated value of depreciation of the gear due to this damage shall be reimbursed to the club by the borrower.

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
Re: Club Lending Policy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 15:55:36 »
PS. you're encouraged to get out on some private trips if you have time/want/ have someone capable who'll bring you. Definitely NOT meant to discourage in any way...just don't take gear without letting us know...

Offline Douchier

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 22:27:07 »
ooh, great to see that this is an issue again. It's really nice to see so many people getting to the level where they're thinking about private trips. Go team.

Any indication of what proficiency you're going to need to have to borrow gear oan what grade?

ps.
I hate (love) to nit-pick, but the "inside door" isn't there any more, just in case any newer folks were wondering ( which admittedly, they probably weren't)

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:59:41 »
ooh, great to see that this is an issue again. It's really nice to see so many people getting to the level where they're thinking about private trips. Go team.

Any indication of what proficiency you're going to need to have to borrow gear oan what grade?

ps.
I hate (love) to nit-pick, but the "inside door" isn't there any more, just in case any newer folks were wondering ( which admittedly, they probably weren't)

haha nice one! eh well until that becomes an issue we'll do it on an individual basis/strength of the group going out...

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:11:51 »
We should probably update that to say Canoeing Ireland/CI...

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:19 »
Contact the committee early, make your and their life easier.

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 18:09:28 »
Contact the committee early, make your and their life easier.

As in, not the day you want the boat for.

Offline kill

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 23:35:21 »
You might have already done this but I would make sure you have an appropriate disclaimer on any gear lending form saying that the club permits the lending based on whatever criteria but accepts no responsibility for safety of trip etc. blah blah blah.

It's just that if you're signing off your acceptance of the lending, you might be opening yourself up to some unwanted liability in the event of something going wrong. Also, if there is an accident and the trip is deemed to be a club trip and not a private trip, the club can see itself in trouble.

I'm not up to date on the college's view on this anymore so that all might not be relevent but if their views haven't changed since I was there, it would be worth taking into account.

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 00:19:51 »
Cheers Kiliian, sound advice.  8)

Eoghan, Bill and I had a talk with the UCD safety guy at the start of the year, their policy now is that any trip that has club gear on it is a club trip, I guess since explaining the presence of club gear in something club unrelated is quite difficult to do.

And spot on about being careful about liability, it does come back to the committee, specifically Eoghan, Darina and me in this case, which is why it's important that everyone play by the rules.

Listen to (or read as the case may be) Killian's words of wisdom folks!

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 00:22:36 »
so does that mean that private trips (with club gear) are committees responsibilty if something were to go wrong? yikes that seems pretty tough