Author Topic: Paddles  (Read 7027 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
Paddles
« on: September 12, 2006, 11:59:10 »
Okay I am in the market for new paddles, the studs worked well even with a cracked spigot for six months, I don't like tempests and I am unsure of what to go for. I am thinking shorter lenght say 188-190 and same feather 45 I mostly river run and surf so a lower angle is not going to help with that. So back to studs or chilles, h20 blades? I like to get alot of power from my blades and can take a very large powerface on a blade so any comments or suggestions.

Offline Brendino

• People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durdan
Paddles
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 14:23:48 »
I like my Chillies and Carl liked them so much he bought a set too. Infact, he liked my Tempests so much he bought them too.

I'm seeing a pettern here.

Anyway Chillies are good blades as far as I'm concerned. Expensive, but when you are as good as me you need expensive gear. :wink:

Offline eoinor

Paddles
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 15:32:02 »
I have ordered a set of H2Os, I'll tell ya how good they are when I get back, as long as they arrive on time!

Offline kill

Paddles
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 16:41:29 »
You get alot of power from Robson Oracles. If my reverse cranks still existed you could have tried them out. Good for power too. I like Double Dutch Magic blades for the power they give.
On saying that, do a couple of rolls. See if you're pulling yourself up with your body or your arms. If you're using your arms, it might be worth your while getting smaller blades and working on your technique. It's something I have to do and it's worth thinking about.

Offline david

Paddles
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 17:11:59 »
True true, I always find that tempests are good for support strokes but fall down on the turning ones. I've heard that you should stay away from H20s as they're all just too long. Don't go for double dutch as they're impossible to roll with. I also reckon there's not enough sweep on the oricles. I used marks studs once but they were just gay.

Just my two cents.

Offline Lorcan

Paddles
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 09:37:09 »
KInetics are the way forward and not the double dutch ones. I know i shout about Pikey downey bastar** a lot bot his kinetics are good all rounders.
Lorcan

Offline eoinor

Paddles
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 10:27:51 »
My H2Os are 188cm (too long Dave?!) Tried them out yesterday and they are excellent.

Offline TomB

Paddles
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 12:41:15 »
good rolling technique should be independant of you paddle blade. a good roll should be made of good body technique and less paddle.

kinetic shaped blades are excellant all round blades and every company has there version to go with. tempest shaped blades are good for forward strokes and support.

length is important. shorter gives less stability and power but qiucker strokes.

moral of the story try every thing before you buy.

H20 blades have plastic blades which i have seen break, rough stuff have developed a bad reputation on breakage. werner are excellant but pricy. robson seem quite solid.

for grade four plus paddlers, the strenght of the shaft is one of the most important safety factors when paddling. if you swim because you riped you deck off, well thats your problem, however if its due to your blades breaking you may get subjected to a nasty swim which was not your fault. remember that.

Offline kill

Paddles
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 13:18:43 »
Remember that !