Author Topic: Lahinch surf  (Read 9442 times)

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
Lahinch surf
« on: November 04, 2013, 17:13:12 »
Tide looks very good for Lahinch, high tide will be about 15.45 on Saturday and about 16.30 on Sunday. The tides will be fairly high too, so expect the tide to be on the rocks about 15.15. So I would suggest beginners off the water by 15.00 on Saturday.

If you've never being surfing before in a kayak here is one thing worth having a look at.
Who has right of way! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dyhcl3su4seoqv0/fuO22n17yC/RightOfWay.doc

Out of curiosity, any word on the fancy dress theme?

Offline DervM

Re: Lahinch surf
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 19:05:05 »
Just a question, about how much space should be left between people if they're going to go for the same wave? Does it depend on the conditions?

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 19:40:42 »
Enough space so you don't compromise the person first on the wave...there again you shouldn't really be on the wave together in the first place unless you're going in opposite directions..

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 19:57:35 »
And if you're paddling out through the breakers to get to the waves try to avoid paddling into the path of where someone is about to catch a wave, nothing worse than catching a wave and having to stop so you don't hit someone. It also sucks being hit so it's generally in your own interest!

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 20:29:48 »
For anyone who can't / won't download it here's the contents of the document peter posted

• Paddler closest to the breaking wave has possession.
  • A is surfing, B may not drop in.
  • A is already surfing, so B has a late take-off and may not surf.
  • Again B is inside A, but A is already surfing so B is out of luck.
  • B is attempting a soup take-off but A has caught the wave on the face and has right of way.
  • A is coming back to the wave face and is not caught in the soup. B may not surf.
  • B has lost forward momentum and is caught in the soup. A may take possession.
  • When B wipes out, A may surf.
  • Both boats may surf from one peak if they go in opposite directions and their paths don't cross.
  • B is attempting to take off behind the peak. A may go if B can't make the section. Careful judgment is needed - B might be good enough to make the wave.
  • A has sole possession and may take off behind the peak.
  • Neither surfer has right of way in a collision situation.
  • A has right of way but may not hit B. Under contest rules, B may be called for interference if he impedes A's progress.

Offline Conor Mohan

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 20:34:43 »
Also, If you decide you want to just go in without a boat stay well out of the way! I don't know how many near misses I saw at inch. Whatever about being hit when in a boat - if your out of a boat you're twice as vulnerable.

General beach advice:
Always try to remain on the seaward side when brining your boat/board/whatever it is back in.
A guy at our beach broke his nose when his sit on top crashed into him. He fell off the sit on top and found himself on shore side and the kayak on the seaward side. Next thing a wave came a smacked it straight into his face.

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Majestic
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 20:37:47 »
I found a good way to protect yourself in a kayak when you think someone surfing on a wave is going to hit you is to capsize yourself and wait until the wave has passed before rolling if possible.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 22:23:55 »
I find stay away from the surfers works pretty well.
Pick a good surf boat, creekers do not make good surf boats. I once got hit in the face by an out of control creeker in Easkey. Any playboat but especially ones from the early 00's are good in surf, like the 4play, prozone or the Inazone.

Offline Conor Mohan

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 23:19:35 »
I find stay away from the surfers works pretty well.
Pick a good surf boat, creekers do not make good surf boats. I once got hit in the face by an out of control creeker in Easkey. Any playboat but especially ones from the early 00's are good in surf, like the 4play, prozone or the Inazone.

I experimented with the burn on freshers, and I have to say it was excellent for blasting out through the surf; but it behaved like a big donkey when I caught a wave! I thought that it probably was not as nimble as I would've liked but I found that so long as you didn't let the angle out too far you could get some serious speed. Naturally I capsized multiple times but I don't blame the boat for that.  ;D

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 00:37:33 »
The inazone was tasty altogether, perhaps its a bit ling for backwards surfing or else I'm too heavy to do it, but I caught some lovely waves in it ;D

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:32 »
Inazone is really good for surf I found :) (Backwards surf too)

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 14:18:38 »
Way to go making me feel fat....or just shit at surfing ;) ;)

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 15:55:57 »
Way to go making me feel fat....or just shit at surfing ;) ;)

When you're backsurfing, make sure you lean far forward to get that squirty little tail up out of the water :)

Offline Bill C

• This can only go well
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 18:59:54 »
Or we could all just party wave.

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 22:15:43 »
Does the club follow the usual instructor ratios for Lahinch? I presume the instructors will be giving a beach speech talk before beginners paddle.

Anyway, getting excited. http://magicseaweed.com/Lahinch-Beach-Surf-Report/52/