Author Topic: Liffey drop  (Read 15150 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
Liffey drop
« on: April 10, 2007, 11:44:01 »
http://www.irishfreestyle.com/node/957 I don't know what my availabilty is but this would be worth while if you are free on that thursday.

Offline Simon

Re: Liffey drop
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 15:58:07 »
It's worthwhile pointing out there is some controversy regarding this event, with respect to its sponsor & motivation.

Have a read of the thread at Irish Freestyle...
http://www.irishfreestyle.com/node/957

...then make your own mind up whether to support it or not.

Simon
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 16:00:44 by Simon »

Offline bexifurr

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 20:37:29 »
Novartis, eh?

Offline david

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:04:16 »
Wasn't that the name of the copany in "The Constant Gardener"? :o

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 21:49:32 »
i think instead i might go strangle a child and save them the trouble of overcharging the poorest people on the planet for medicine they need to survive.

count me out.

Offline Skelly

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 17:06:27 »
Do you guys believe everything the irishfreestyle board tells you? Its publicity for kayaking, we dont get it that much

Offline Ritchie

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 23:01:32 »
well, personally i think its unfair to point the finger of blame squarely at "Novartis" for all the 3rd world troubles. Novartis is not by far the worst pharmaceutical company out there;

pfizer - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1517171.stm (pretty disturbing)

johnson&johnson 'a family company' - http://www.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/152/29/

and in gereral - http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/pharma.htm

If you read the original article AlanC explains how the event will help support medical students (who no-doubt will be working for Novartis & promoting THEIR drugs) in developing countries... do you thing a company like Novartis will give the 3rd world a discount on thier drugs - I think not!!!

......personally i dont want to support any pharmaceutical company, and i think i'de by-far prefer to keep my soul than sell it for some picture of me paddlin in some medical mag..... but thats just me

my $0.02 cents.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 23:28:26 by Ritchie »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:59:37 »
Alan was a member of UCDCC for a short time until he realised that doing a PhD is like getting slowly killed by a thousand paper cuts. The event is a charity event; the rules regarding corporate sponsorship in Ireland are fairly strict. The rules regarding drug advertising are even stricter. This event is just to raise awareness of a medical condition. Nowhere will it be used in advertising for Norvartis beyond word of mouth.
There will be a separate campaign using paddlers that Alan will be involved in. I don't think it has been portrayed fairly, certainly not when it comes to Alan's intentions.
The issue of cheap generic drugs is not a simple one. Companies want to make money; they spend millions/billions in developing a drug, testing it and then brining it to market. Yes there is a whole load of moral issues involved in depriving someone from medication and suing companies who make the generic product.

The question is would you feel that Intel suing a Chinese company for using trademarked chips should be equally hounded for depriving people from a learning resource?
Anyway I think if you are available you should do it. As Skelly said there are very few opportunities to promote the sport on a national scale. If however you really feel strongly about the generic drug issue then educate yourself about both sides of the argument. Then boycott as you see fit.

Offline david

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 11:23:09 »
I've discovered the cause to everyone's problems: Medical students.
With out medical students there'd be no doctors, with out doctors there'd be no pharmasuiticals.
Bex, I'm boycotting the hell out of you!!!!

Offline Ritchie

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 11:39:05 »
"kmck" unfortunately, in the present world we live in, the word "charity" and the wword "pharmaceutical co." don't go hand-in-hand in the same sentence.

Firstly, i dont think its important whether AlanC went to ucd / joined ucdcc or not and the issue isnt over AlanC.

Secondly, i do understand that the day isnt a pubicity stunt for Novartis. The day is to raise awareness and also support med students who will be sent off to set up medical clinics in 3rd world countries.

--> These students will be sent off on behalf of novartis, helping the poverty stricken people but at the same time also promoting Novatris drugs above any other brand (dispite whether their drugs work or not). Thus forming a monopoly in the region/country producing large returns of capital for Novartis  <---- this is what i have a problem with 

....its similar to pfizer in cork, apparently they'll only accept students from UL if the lecturers there have promoted thier products and drugs

....... plus, this stunt +sponsorship will be several thousands do you really thing a pharmaceutical company will do it as a kind gesture??  

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 13:30:41 by Ritchie »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 14:06:12 »
As I said they are in it to make money, I just feel that there is alot more going on than has been addressed on Irish freestyle. Intelectual property rights are going to be a biggy in the next couple of years. Anyway I am not available but would still do it for the sport alone even if there was no money or charity invovled.

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 14:52:13 »
skelly surprisingly that novartis exploites are so well documented that i had little difficulty in finding more then enough information to form my own opinion.

might i refere you to "The New International magizine" so that maybe you might see what your supporting.

Offline kill

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 17:11:04 »
I don't understand why we need a sponsored event.

Let's all just get our kayaks, feck everyone off O'Connell Bridge and the sport will gain publicity from all of the traffic disruption, public drunkenness/indecency and arrests.

Problem solved.

If you want charity, I will personally bring any money picked off the bed of the Liffey to Uganda where I'll get a crappy exchange rate for it and then give the remains to the locals.

Offline Skelly

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 22:49:41 »
im a pharmacologist, i know what ther're like. If pointed out all the companies who were exploiting 3rd world countries we would be here all day. Its the kayak publicity im happy about. You guys should join in on the rant of the year on www.irishfreestyle.com is quite the contraversial one!

Offline Sick Boy

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 09:50:54 »
there are better ways to raise the profile of kayaking

http://www.rte.ie/news/nationwide/

rather than selling your soul to the devil!!!