Author Topic: Dry Cags  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
Dry Cags
« on: September 22, 2008, 23:27:56 »
So I am considering buying a dry cag and I have found a quite cheap website but what I want to know is:

1. If I have a dry cag do I need dry pants as well?
2. Palm Sidewinder or Nookie Xtreme X2?
3. Should I consider anything in particular before buying one e.g. size differences/seals (neoprene v latex)

Who wants to start the advice giving?

Evan

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
Re: Dry Cags
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 23:34:02 »
neoprene seals arent as dry... they'd be on semi-dry cags.... the club wet cags have neoprene seals on the wrists as far as I remember!! dunno if they have neck seals - they didnt have cags back in my day ;)

my cag's semi dry n has neoprene neck seal and latex wrists. you pay more for the latex seals on both but they're drier..... :) mines all good though and I've always stayed dry... and i swim lots ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 23:41:34 by Asho87 »

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 23:54:01 »
If you have a dry top you don't need dry pants... just shorts can do during the summer. A few thermal pants/shorts could do you in the winter if you don't plan on swimming too much. My best advise would be to go to gods/i-canoe and try them first. It's something you deffo don't want to be too big... or small for that matter. The club cags are the equivalent of black plastic bags, dyed red of course! They wouldn't be near as good as a semi-dry cag.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:25:31 »
I would look at the sidewinder, it is a good cag. However alot of people over the years have gone with reed. Talk to Caoimhe, Killian and Siobhain. Dry cag dry pants combo???? I have been questioning it for a while if you are in the water at all thermals are not a good choice as outer wear. There are full lenght neoprene pants around that would be a better choice, Talk to joey or Dave B's Dad they use that combo. Dry pants don't stay that way if you are in the water for a long time, especially full immersion.

Offline joxer

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:50:40 »
Here is something worth thinking about before you buy. Talk to lorcan as well in person as this was a really bad swim and he does not think having a dry suit helped at all.

http://www.irishfreestyle.com/node/3623

Joxer

Offline JODY

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:10:25 »
A good cag & a long john wetsuit is perfect, especially if you take the odd swim. The wet suit absorbs the bumps better than dry pants. My bruises are way worse since i changed to a dry suit  :(

Also in relation to The talk of ripping dry suits & swimming, i put a bad rip in mine on Jacksons a couple of weeks back & it deffinately made a difference. Had to get 2 people to pull me up onto the bank, it may not affect bouyancy but man does it affect movement, especially when you try to get out of the water  ::)

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:58 »
I agree with Jody. You are only a beginner a cag and longjohn wetsuit are just what you need. The wetsuit is cheaper and will provide protection from rocks etc Shorts might be less hassle when getting changed but when you take a swim on the annamoe you will know about it. Remember this is a watersport you are doing not a fashion show.

Offline kill

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 11:09:06 »
I agree with the girls. Wetsuit/cag option all the way. It's still what I prefer. Dry gear is very expensive, offers less butt support when swimming and is ruined by one tear which is not true of neoprene.

As for which cag, Sidewinder is Palm's top of the range. I don't know much about the Nookie one except that Nookie have a bad reputation when it comes to cags. There are lots of other makes aswell if you search the different shops.

I wouldn't go spending money on top of the range cags now. Buy a cag designed with special features for rocky grade fours when you're paddling rocky grade fours.  They cost much more. Be aware as well that cags will only really last 2 years and still keep you dry. In 2 years start looking at a better dry cag. For now, I'd look at the cheaper options or even a semi-dry. A semi-dry normally lasts longer (no neck seal to break) and will be a huge step up from club cags. A lot of people spend the first couple of years in one and then move to a better cag if they're not swimming much or paddling harder rivers (where they don't want cold to affect their performance).

No cag will keep you completely dry if your swimming. There's no need to buy the most expensive cag out there. I still buy cheaper dry-cags because I don't believe a cag lasts long enough to buy the most expensive one. If you've extra money to spare, a good spray-deck is essential and you could start looking at buoyancy aids with chest harnesses and learn how to use them.

Offline Siobhan UL

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 12:27:21 »
A good cag and cartwheel pants (long neoprene pants) or a long john wetsuit are as everybody says probably the best option. 

A full dry cag is a good option if you roll more than swim as it lets less water in at the neck but if you are swimming it will let in water anyway so you could easily save yourself the money and go with a semi-dry in that instance.

As regards brands I have always found that nookie latex seals tend to harbour fungi much more easily than any other brand (infact my shorty actually had white fluff on the neck seal after 2 days in a dry bag) which leads to a very uncomfortable and difficult to explain to co-workers cag rash.  Also means you have to disinfect them much more frequently with milton which can damage the waterproofing - overall palm is better quality.  Check out peak-uk also and check online for better prices.  Buying from the states has worked out much cheaper for the past year even with shipping costs.

Offline joey

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 13:30:23 »
I would def go for a good cag, even if you are a beginner. If you are a beginner you are going to have a long cold winter ahead in anything but a dry cag. Other option would be to look at some of palms new semi dry cags that have a neoprene neck seal that is doubled over and then has latex injected into the neoprene which is meant to provide a seal as good as latex one. Not sure if it does cos havent used one but looks pretty good.

Id say go for cartwheel pants or neoprene trousers, you dont need the body bit of a wetsuit if you have decent thermals and can be a bit restrictive when leaning forward, full length trousers will provide the same protection as a long john wetsuit.

And this might be from my time on great outdoors, but for the money of the sidewinder cag you are not going to get any better from any brands, not saying other brands dont make better cags but they will be a lot dearer than the sidewinder, which has also been improved on from the last version.

Think thats the longest post i have ever put up!! but remember what is most important when buying a cag, make sure it matches the rest of your gear!!

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 13:36:09 »
WHAT "latex seals harbour fungus"!!!!?? what other brands does this happen to??? from that post id say dont buy nookie!! unless you want your hand chewed off by a fungus.

i have the palm sidewinder its grand. i only got dry pants only a few months ago so was paddling with long johns and shorts. its not much fun once your wet so if your not getting the fully dry pants an everything. buy the cag and an long jonh wet suit. its your only man if you'l be swimming occasionally.

ive had my sidewinder almost three years and its grand dont even clean it!! it only leaks a little around the seals but i mean very little. the more you care for it the longer it lasts!

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 16:36:32 »
I do enjoy the odd fungus finding adventure before getting on the river!!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 20:55:48 »
Quite simple, either go for kokatat or palm, they're the best out there, .. I've used both kokatat and the palm sidewinder and too be honest they're pretty similar, but again kokatat is expensive, sorry but i don't know the names of the different kokatat models, i only know them to see.
          like joey said don't wear a wetsuit underneath, it's too restrictive, and if you buy a good cag all you need is one or two thermals underneath ( god's are selling the palm thermal top for 35euro, which is a sweet deal, i bought one and that thermal alone is enough, under a dry cag you'll be sweating)
              Buy wet suit trousers, and wear some fleece trousers underneath, still warm when you swim, and anyways now that you've your own boat you won't be swimming for long!     :)