Author Topic: Kayak surfing  (Read 10030 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
Kayak surfing
« on: November 16, 2008, 21:00:12 »
Since we are going to be in lahinch again, thought it was time to resurect this old chesnut of a post.

PADDLE SURF ETIQUETTE

Remember the surfer nearest the shoulder has priority on the wave and must not be inhibited or interfered with.

Paddlers should allow some waves through for board surfers who have to wait inside to take off.

Learn to surf correctly and to control your craft. If you are in control you can avoid collisions.

Incoming surfers have right of way. It is up to the outgoing paddler to take evasive action, capsizing if necessary. Paddle around the breakline to get outside.

Don't take off if the way is not clear even if you have "right of way" especially if it would endanger others.

Inexperienced paddle surfers should keep away from crowded breaks. Go to a quieter section of the beach to practise your surfing skills. We stay away from the surf schools that populate the beach.

After about an hour or two your rescue paddlers will get bored an head out to the bigger waves, do not follow them. Stay in the area that is pointed out to you on the day.
A good article here
A good video for starting out here

Above all else, enjoy, kayak surfing is really fun.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 22:42:42 by kmck »

Offline AENGUS!

Re: Kayak surfing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 21:04:02 »
Remember the surfer nearest the shoulder has priority on the wave

Whats the shoulder?! ???

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 21:10:22 »
As a wave breaks it forms a shoulder the curling breaking water.
http://www.asudoit.com/kayak_fest/surf_etiquette.html

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 21:48:47 »
Oh right, I thought you traveled on the crest of the wave. Also, what is a kayak? I keep hearing that word being thrown around.

The last part was sarcasm, incase it wasn't obvious

Offline Ritchie

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 22:23:30 »
i really dislike posts that go up over paddlers and surfers etc. I've never experience (or heard of) any real arguements between the two (has anyone??), appart from those on several internet forums.

- At the end of the day the two sports get on great and share a love of the water, and the age old rule applies. First on the wave, rules the wave.

Generally a good post kmck.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 22:27:30 by Ritchie »

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 22:44:02 »
I have never had a problem on the waves, however a number of our own guys have had the odd run in with a surfer.

Offline eoghanp

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 00:59:20 »
I've had run in's with both surfers and paddlers, both in a boat and on a board. The biggest thing paddlers need to remember is that its fucking terrifying to be in the water and having an out of control (or what appears to be) boat barreling down on top of you. Surfers have little or no protection from boats when they are in the water.
A little respect goes a long long way, weather on a boat or a board. Waiting your turn and making sure that your not gonna kill anyone is the simplest way to avoid any problems. Learning the actual rules means you can legitimately give out to anyone else stealing your waves or trying to take the piss.

That said with a big group of paddlers in the water most surfers are gonna steer well clear.

Offline kill

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 17:37:57 »
Thought I might just add...

Lahinch has a rip tide.
This means certain areas of the beach contain currents that pull swimmers out to sea.  Swimming against a rip tide is exhausting and worthless. If you find yourself being pulled out by a current, try to get someone's attention. Then swim parallel to the shore because the rip tide has a finite width and eventually you will swim out of it and find it easier to get back towards shore.

For this reason, if you are likely to take a swim, don't be surfing too much where you'll be out of your depth. If you are swimming out of your depth, don't assume that you're okay. Ask someone who is able to pull you back in with the back of their kayak. Make sure that when you're going out surfing, someone knows where you are at all times.

Most important: Surfing is great fun and really easy. Don't fall into the trap of not going paddling because you're too hungover/still drinking. You'll regret it.

Launching into the sea is harder than launching into a river because the waves keep going away from you while you're still on the sand. Every year sees four or five freshers sitting in their kayaks with their decks on still on the sand with no idea how to get into the water. If you swim, get out and empty your boat. Then help the person who swam before you to get into the water. Then the person who swims after you can help you to get in and so on. It will all become clear when you get there. Have fun.

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 17:50:45 »
What people are basically trying to say is:

Kayak surfing = loads of fun, way more than you can even imagine

Board surfers = Really nice people, until you take them off that really nice wave that they were surfing as you are heading out and don't apologise for it.

Lahinch = Usual dangers you would expect when going into the sea so don't presume that because you're in a boat you'll be all right. You do still have to be aware of what's going on around you and where you are.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 18:36:47 »
I always help freshers get into the sea! Sometimes in a boat, there is one other thing can we paint any dark coloured boat yellow, I don't want to play find the boat again. So when you swim hold your boat and paddles, you can even lie on the boat like a board and surf it in.

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 19:10:40 »
you can even lie on the boat like a board and surf it in.

this is a myth.

and you can't surf hung over.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 19:11:35 »
Yes you can so long as you don't mind feeding the seagulls.

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 20:02:40 »
Yes you can so long as you don't mind feeding the seagulls.

Such a lovely image, thanks Kieran ;)

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 21:24:45 »
Kyle your use of smilies is wanton, I mean honest to god man!

Play nice with the surfers kids, don't go out too far and don't be afraid of asking questions - people are helpful and your best resource on anything new  -  USE THEM!

Offline JODY

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 22:05:04 »
Seems like a bit of a stupid question but i'm gonna ask anyway because thats how i am  :D

So i can paddle out & catch a wave & surf it back in to shore, carve about on it.... but whats the next thing to try? Spins? Grand... anything else easy?