Author Topic: Favourite River Ever  (Read 7827 times)

Offline Sara

Favourite River Ever
« on: October 12, 2009, 21:41:51 »
Yeah so I was chattin to Mark this evening about not boatin anymore and I was saying about my favourite river and what rivers Ill miss most. So thought I'd start a thread on what are peoples favourite rivers ever and why....

Mine is the Upper Liffey, it doesn't run that often its soooo much fun without any scary factor, my favourite bit is the last rapid which can have you up to your tits in white water as you bounce down the river, its pure class :)

The Etiev is a close second....

Whats yours?

Offline fityounggranny

Re: Favourite River Ever
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 22:04:52 »
easy question, and dave might agree with me

BOYNE!!!

Offline Tiernan

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 22:16:39 »
In ireland my fav has to be clare glens, pure fun start to finish and ya tend to get several runs in, in a given day.

Offline JODY

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 22:57:48 »
I gotta say the Soca in Slovenia i just love that place... not that difficult but so much fun. Lots of options to take easier or trickier lines & perfect for learning on  :)

Picking a favourite in Ireland is much harder, it might just be the Liffey since Sluice is there. Its so accessible & i love getting off after a really long session when you're absolutely wrecked but buzzing  :D

So sorry to hear you have to pack in the paddling Sara  :'(

Offline Peegor

• I peed in my boat
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 23:30:10 »
why you not paddling anymore?

well whenever i did paddle, i loved the BOYNE... just loved it

although the Annamoe where i got my black eye is a close second favourite!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 23:45:01 by Peegor »

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 23:40:14 »
The Behy, fo sho'!

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:29:32 »
Briacon gourge was really fun, it was also my first real gourge experience. Upper caragh in big water was fun. Then the Gearhameen as well lots of fun. I always think it's more the people I have paddled with that made those rivers. The banter and the encouragement made them fun.

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:42:22 »
The Liffey, from Straffan to the Memorial Gardens!! Also the Boyne, or the Annamoe!!

Offline Bill C

• This can only go well
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:40:44 »
Easkey!

But the surf, not the river. Nothing does it for me like surf I'm afraid

Jer

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:52:21 »
The Boyne all the way, even if it did give me weils.

Offline rog

• Ginger Giant
  • Who wants to do that thing we always do?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 10:01:10 »
Of the humble amount of rivers i've been on i'd say... Ireland: The aughrim... Just to be different

Then the briancon Gorge, for the same reasons as mckevit

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:45 »
considering ive only been on a handful of rivers my choice is obviously limited but the annamoe is my favourite!!

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 10:42:04 »
Oh wow, fav river would probably be the Dargle or Glens in Ireland, both scared the living piss out of me the first time and have just become more and more fun as I've paddled them (not often enough on the Glens, unfortunately), I'm kind of hoping that they're going to be the kind of run you never ever get bored of or start to think you've run all the fun lines on.

Abroad it's got to be the Egua, best river I have ever been on without a doubt. Perfect low volume run, tough enough that you are loving every single moment, but not full on crazy to the point that you're just getting through any given rapid and hoping that the next one isn't completely over your head and you're starting a long and ignominious walk out. Just brilliant!!! The Etive Sara would be a close second, just a super fun run - first time over the triple step was just the best start to a holiday ever...

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:26:07 »
i agree with sara upper liffey is a beautiful friendly run and i love the annamoe in sooooper high water. 

not a river per se but nothing beats a good days surf in the sea, Easkey/ Streedagh for the win! never been paddling abroad.

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 13:46:27 »
ooh favourite river... tough one! in ireland problay the inny its such a gr8 river 4 all abilities at all level, and its got the meathole in big water!!! :D dargle scarred the pants off me just dyin 4 a 2nd run on it.
abroad youve gotta love the isere the upper guile its like wicklow in the sun!!!