Author Topic: Boat Fixing Day  (Read 9482 times)

Offline Nuala

Boat Fixing Day
« on: February 02, 2011, 18:16:49 »
It might be an idea to see if we can have a boat fixing day before the varsities, we did this last year and got the light blue gola fully watertight: if we had the supplies and a few people working on it we could get a lot done.

I have a heat gun and Niall has a soldering iron, so I can have a look at some of the plastic boats. The fibreglass repair stuff is easy enough to work with - if there were a few people free we could probably get a few boats fixed.

When are people free? And if committee money could buy the supplies (resin, fibreglass, hardener, steel mesh/sieves, acetone(or other solvent for cleaning), sandpaper) before the day it could save time.

Offline Nuala

Re: Boat Fixing Day
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 18:20:16 »
I'm free: This Sunday, Tuesday and Friday afternoon next week, and the following Sunday I think.

If people wanted they could take the opportunity of the boathouse being open for an afternoon to come down and outfit a boat they were planning on taking for the next few weeks also - this would make Saturday trips easier, faster and more fun.

Offline Uisce_Emma

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 22:11:03 »
Hey, Im free Tuesday afternoons from 11 til 2 if you send me a text to remind me I can come and help out!

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 22:57:16 »
Excellent!

Spoke to Matt Flood and he's free this Sunday too, lets say a 10:30 start at the boathouse, anyone with boatfixing skills is very welcome and anyone who would like to outfit a boat for themselves for river trips is too! See you then!

To sum up:
BOAT FIXING DAY
SUNDAY 6TH OF FEBRUARY
10:30 AT THE BOATHOUSE
BOAT FIXERS AND OUTFITTERS WELCOME! (ie everybody)

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 22:59:04 »
Hey, Im free Tuesday afternoons from 11 til 2 if you send me a text to remind me I can come and help out!

That's cool! I'm not free then myself, but if there's work left to do then and people going along you're help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much for offering! And if you find yourself free on Sunday, feel free to drop by, I might even bring chocolate...  :D

Offline Carla!

• Committee 10/11
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 23:10:06 »
hey, i cant make it that early on sunday as i will be in galway/ on a bus to dublin :-( good luck :-)

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 23:18:12 »
hey, i cant make it that early on sunday as i will be in galway/ on a bus to dublin :-( good luck :-)

No worries, we might could have another session during the week, maybe some lunch time, then you can imprint yourself on a boat!

Offline Matt Flood

• Committee 11/12
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 11:08:20 »
If anyone has any of those tinfoil trays which ya get from chinese restaurants and that could they bring them along. They are ideal for preparing the resin.
Rubber gloves too.  ;)

Offline finch

• Committee 10/11
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 11:59:48 »
Should be about  :)

(not sure about those rubber gloves though matt)

Offline Nuala

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 17:36:34 »
And scissors! Cutting the fibreglass sheets with a wire cutters is horrible.

Wear old clothes - that stuff is sticky and does not wash off.

I have one sieve, if we need more mesh we can hunt on the day.

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 22:53:16 »
Hey guys,

due to an excitingly heavy amount of rain in the past 36 hours it's looking very much like boat fixing will be abandoned in favour of boat using tomorrow.

According to this thread it looks like it was only going to be Nuala, Matt,  maybe Finch and me - I have a vague recollection of somebody else expressing interest, but if they seemed definite I think I would have remembered - so unless anyone is reeeally keen, I think it's a day of high density paddling, lying in and/or study.

I really appreciate everyone who's volunteered their time for this, and hope we can reconvene next Sunday or another mutually convenient time soon.

Over and out,
Maryanne

Offline FINN

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 20:04:32 »
I should probably be around next Sunday if this goes ahead.

How about a little later than 10 though? more like 1?

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 21:12:15 »
Yeah 10.01am sounds good!!

Offline Uisce_Emma

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 20:27:10 »

That's cool! I'm not free then myself, but if there's work left to do then and people going along you're help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much for offering! And if you find yourself free on Sunday, feel free to drop by, I might even bring chocolate...  :D

Cheers M.A, missed the sunday one and as the rivertrip on sat has left me with a sprained wrist I was out today :(. Hoping to be better by Thursday! Work on my escape plan from kayaks. :P

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 22:46:10 »
the rivertrip on sat has left me with a sprained wrist

what...???? really?    :o