Author Topic: polo - training, matches and general funsies!  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Douchier

polo - training, matches and general funsies!
« on: March 20, 2011, 18:05:26 »
Hey folks,
so polo went pretty well and people seemed to really enjoy it.Well done to all and especially to all of you who had never played before - smashing chaps!

Now that we're interested again I think it's time to start talking about training. There aren't any free training times in the DCPL pool but I have to say that the Dodder really is looking very appealing these days ( the evenings are getting lighter and the cold less noticable, woot!). I was tricking about with the goals down there so that we can have a fisherman friendly (proof) way of having goals. Now...training?

We've got two weeks until we've got more games, so when would people like to train and how often? We've got a few more people now so getting a critical mass together should be a bit easier. If we can't find a time that suits everyone then that's a pity, but I think that we should go ahead anyway.

Personally I can do Tuesday after three  or Friday or Saturday this week. If we can all decide on a set day then I can get that off every week, especially if it's after three. The latest that we could train at the moment is until about 18.30, but this will 19.30 after the clocks change next week.

Balls: Does the club have money for buying a few more balls? These would really help training.

I was looking up some training stuff online - I thought this site has loads of really great stuff and is well worth taking a while to look at.
Also, a few videos...because everything looks better in slow motion;

If people aren't free for formal training, how about one or two of heading down for some fitness/ball work? Something like a kick-around, only in boats.

What does everyone think?

Offline kmck

• "99"
Re: polo - training, matches and general funsies!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 18:45:54 »
While I would be all for using the dodder, it is fishing season from 17th march till the 30th of september. I haven't been around enough to know what kind of reaction you get from the fishermen, did any of them mention the goal post being taken down. I've checked out their website they don't use it much but you don't seem to have been mentioned yet.
 We know they don't like permanent posts cause the cut them down. The only way I can think of is to have a fixed loop on a tree then thread the rope through and then tie it to a point on the far bank attach goal via clips and pull to the center of the river.

Offline Carla!

• Committee 10/11
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 19:54:47 »
I would love to do training!
I can do after 2 on Monday, after 3 on Tuesday (every second week I have a practical until 4), after 3 on Wednesday and Friday.

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 00:52:29 »
I'm in on Tuesdays from 10 to 8, so I wouldn't be able to make that.
Friday after 3 would suit me, and Saturdays have that club trip thing.
So my preference is Friday!

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:09:52 »
I'm up for it, I'd turn up whenever, I'm free most of the time now, depending on what work needs to be done for my final year project.

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:03 »
I'm free any afternoon except Monday, really. Depending on how much work I have to do, I should be able to come out.

Offline Douchier

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:45:39 »
Excellent, Monday it is!

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:54 »
Been thinking about this, two loops and clip. Clip the rope onto loop A on the far bank. Then thread the rope through the loop on the near bank then tighten the set up by tying the rope to the base of the tree/poll your using.

Offline Gareth

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 17:08:23 »
Yeah i'd be interested in doing polo training thou i dont know when i'm free yet so i'll try just fit in with whatevers planned

Offline Kerry Gold

• Rory here
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 22:19:03 »
depending on the week, i could go friday after 1

.....maybe wes&thur after 3

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 09:21:06 »
most mondays would suit me too... thursday afternoons too...

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 10:00:18 »
fridays suit me

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 13:18:12 »
cant do any afternoon. Can only do it outside of work hours

Offline colmnolan

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 13:43:48 »
im free any day after 3 and all day most friday, although friday morning around 10 am would suit me best.

does any one want to dodder it up on friday morning this week with me? sprints etc
or wednesday afternoon say 4pm??