Author Topic: A pipe dream...  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
A pipe dream...
« on: February 08, 2012, 20:25:28 »
So if anyone were to ask me what I thought the coolest type of kayaking was, I'd have to say expedition boating. Packing a tent, stove and food into the boat and paddling down a tasty river. Charge down some nice rapids, blast into the eddy, set up camp and hit the hay. Then do it all again next morning.

However... this is done most often in developing countries, vast widerness and exotic bad ass rivers. Like some of this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je4DgvPRm6k&feature=related    http://zanskar.blogspot.com/

Have I ever done any of this sort of thing? No. Would I like to? Definately!

But... Traveling to exotic locations like India or Africa costs a fair bit of money. Do I have a fair bit of money? Eeeh no. We dont have much wilderness in Ireland and our whitewater tends to be short too.

Buuuut the Avonmore is quite a long river with loads of regularly run sections, 25 km between the lough dan put in and the meeting of the waters. Not hugely challenging but could a fun way to spend a weekend.

What do people think? Would there be any interest in doing something like this some weekend?

Offline Chunderdragon

Re: A pipe dream...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 21:08:09 »
i say paddy's day weekend!!!!

Offline Chunderdragon

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 21:12:29 »
also, the features on that patagonia trip look like someone just... embigginned the features we do. everything looks the same, but 3 times the size.

Offline Gareth

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 21:15:55 »

What do people think? Would there be any interest in doing something like this some weekend?

Thats sounds great I'd definately be up for doing that some time  :)

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 21:38:17 »
sounds cool...I probably wouldn't have time to do it till after may though...

Here's one thats on my radar (montenegro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEYyD0dvLQM

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 21:45:50 »
I would check out the bye laws regarding camping in wicklow, it's the reason why they've made the get on buckies bridge a re-enactment of the somme. The real problem is to run a whitewater river in Ireland you need water, so it's going to be raining. Not exactly camping weather. The bigger rivers may not provide the same level of excitement but would provide the lenght you want.

Offline Karen

• Chocolate!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 23:06:47 »
Sure, I'd be up for something.

I'd suggest maybe a different river, maybe something we haven't paddled so often? Then again, there are loads of stretches I haven;t done that much. Dither dither, hmmm, ok!!! Sign me up oh intrepid one, (depending on dates you decide)

Offline HelenaC

• PRO 13/14
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 23:26:57 »
interested?? hells yea!! :D

Offline kill

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 23:47:45 »
If these runs were in more developed countries they'd be even more expensive. Really, if you can scrape enough money for flights, it becomes an option. The actual descent is never too expensive.

The major expense is incurred when something goes wrong - good to have back-up cash in the form of parents/insurance. Also good to do a regularly run river so there's lots of information for you and less risk of something going awry. It also cuts down on annoying planning time.

Go for it. Money tends to sort itself out in the end. Take it from someone who has plenty of experience in having none of it.

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 23:55:04 »
cool stuff guys!
Sure, I'd be up for something.

I'd suggest maybe a different river, maybe something we haven't paddled so often? Then again, there are loads of stretches I haven;t done that much. Dither dither, hmmm, ok!!! Sign me up oh intrepid one, (depending on dates you decide)

yeah thats a good point karen. the reason I sugested the avonmore was because I couldnt think of anything else with such an ammount of padlleable sections (other than liffey, boyne ect) and because id rather not do anything too hairy with full boats first time. but yeah id definately be up for another river if anyone knows an alternative.

and keirans point about the weather is good, but you can get dry weather after a bit of rain with water still around etc. spring boating can be quite good.

obviously this is really just an idea at the minute, but lash any ideas or opppinions you might have.

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 23:55:49 »
cheers killian sound advice

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 00:40:14 »
Definitely interested

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 11:11:01 »
I'd be interested, if you wouldn't mind having Me that is.

Offline Amanda

• Light shop
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 11:21:27 »
A warmer idea may be to chat to Hugh about sea kayaking and go island camping for a weekend over easter or summer. Would have all the same adventure qualities but no cold rain.

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 14:24:58 »
SImon Westgarth "sometimes you just got to give her"